Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 12:55   #1

Boat: Catalina 380
Sailing adventure

Subject: Fw: Bringing Toucan Home.

Kees and Gerda had purchased a 1999 Catalina 380 sailboat in Waukegan(Chicago) and are tempting to bring her home to Bayfield Ontario Canada.
The boat is new to us and never sailed one this big.
Heading home on a small budget.
June 2015

Day one, June 2 of our Toucan Tour around the great lakes.
Thanks to Rien and Betty for donating there time and help getting our boat ready your friendship and help is really appreciated..
The weather was pretty bad and lots of wind, we could not work on the sails and the alternator was not working.
Slept on our very noisy and rocking boat.
Next morning we decided to take it the alternator of and have it rebuild locally, fortunately we found a loose wire and fixed it.
It was time for Rien and Betty to return home and we are glad they arrived home safe.
The next day a man ( Tom ) walked up to our boat and asked if we needed any help ( Did Rien send him over ? )
Tom was a very knowledgably sailor and without his help we could not have rigged our boat, the Dutchman system was a nightmare to figure out.
Tom also had a car and we needed supplies and parts for the boat, had dinner with Barb and Tom that night and had a great time.
We decided to cross the Lake together with Tom and Barb we left in the morning at 5 A M from Waukegan to South Haven it took 12 hrs. motoring as there was no wind.
Never the less it was a long but good day on the water.
I asked Tom why he spend the time and effort to help us and his answer was to “pay it forward” we will do the same one day Thanks again Tom.
Tonight ( Tuesday ) we are heading to bed at 9, we are tuckered out.
Tomorrow Wednesday June 3 we stay on the West coast of Michigan and try to reach Pentwater approx. 75 miles.

Day 2 Wed June 3
Left South Haven at 6 am and missed the harbour master, we were really impressed with the town and the marina a far cry from Bayfield although we love Bayfield.
No wind and we motored and motored we needed some fuel so we were headed for Holland, but somehow we missed the port, so we decided to go to the next port, Grand haven, a long narrow river.
We were told fuel was at the end of the harbor, very shallow when we got there no diesel, great! turn around in a narrow shallow river was fun?
headed back out to the lake lost well over an half hr.
Finally found some fuel in Muskegon a very pretty place wide canal entry and diesel, up to the next port Pentwater, about a hr. or 5 in the last leg we noticed a big black object in the water and a Coast guard vessel approaching it as well
it turned out to be a black dock box as we floated by we watched them load it, they came and followed us and inspected our boat for safety and asked questions of ownership etc.
Would you believe we got a yellow copy of good behaviour and passed the safety test with flying colours.
Now it is 9 Pm and getting a little darker, we found Pentwater at 10 Pm and were very tired and docked in Snug harbour very nice as well. the Coast guard followed us in and came on board again to check things out again.
They were curious about us having a Canadian boat with all the U.S stickers still on it.
Crashed and slept great until 6 am, got to go we need to beat the Harbour master.
Heading to Frankfort about 65 miles should be a short day as we need to do laundry and get supplies.
Loved being on Toucan Catalina 380 and on the open water.

Day 3 Thursday June 4

Started at 6 am to beat the harbour master heading for Frankfort warm weather no wind as the day progressed the wind picked up and we put up the Jib and with the motor on we did about 7 knots.
At one point I decided to raise the mainsail and at that same moment the wind picked up to 26 knots and turned us around like a turd in a pot, it was scary and then the boom came loose and hit me in the head.
I was almost knocked out and fell fortunately on a fender lying on deck, in the mean while Gerda had to hold on to the wheel and could not help me.
I think I almost passed out, it took me a couple of minutes to regain my bearings and helped Gerda to stable the boat.
Most of that day waves as high as 8 ft and rocking and rolling, one hell of a day.
I am all right and have a little headache.
We arrived in Frankfort at 4 PM and fuelled up and had a very nice ( heated ) shower, just came back from a really nice dinner with a great bottle of wine.
As it turned out it is the best harbour and the best restaurant we had on our trip, we were happy to pay for our stay.
Gerda is doing some laundry and I will have a drink and will pass out I am sure.
This is quality time for us and can do some bonding as well.
Tomorrow we head for Charlevoix, a short day about 65 miles, the weather is going to be warm and no wind.
We still having a good time despite a rough day.

Day 4 June 5
Left Frankfort 8 am after a great night, dinner and a good sleep.
Woke up to light fog about 100 ft. sight
Decided to leave anyway relying on our instruments, first time for us to do so it was a little unnerving but it worked O.K.
Fog got thicker and thicker by the minute.
No wind to speak of, more motoring and very COLD and damp I had a T shirt and 2 big sweaters and jeans and a foul weather outfit on, gloves and a hat and still got the chills.
Waves 2 to 3 feet and choppy did not see land or anything else for 6 hrs.
We missed the spectacular Sleeping Bear State Park dunes.
Fog cleared and we were on our way to Leland, missed it and headed for Charlevoix hit it at 6 PM
Absolutely a magnificent harbour, worth coming back for.
Had a pizza in a good bar and did some groceries, tying to keep my eyes open it is now 9 and bed time.
Tomorrow we are aiming for Mackinaw Island, should be a shorter day.
Got to leave early to beat the Harbour master.
All and all a good travel day.

Day 5 June 6
Reached Mackinaw City at 2.30 PM and had a good day on the water, did some sailing but are a little confused about some of the sheet lines not in the right place,
The boom is continuing to come free from its locking's it appears the line is to thick for the gripper and no cleats to tie of on.
7 to 8 knots of speed on the jib only as the wind is picking up, we came around the point to turn towards the Mackinaw bridge, the wind started to twirl and we were in irons immediately
One of the jib line wrapped it self around a fender and now I have a fender partly stuck in the air and stuck on the safety rail in 28 knots of wind the sail is flapping and I am trying to loosen the fender.
I used some choice words and it helped.
Gerda is hanging on to the wheel keeping the nose in the wind, managed to get the job done and all returned to normal.
Again the wind right on the nose with 3 to 5 ft. waves in 25 knots wind the motor is working overtime and it is getting real cold again.
The Mackinaw bridge from below is a spectacular site and we were impressed by its size, we are fortunate people to have this experience.
Met our friends Joe Rocca and lovely Catherine for dinner and had a wonderful time it is good to have good friends and we realised that Joe and I have been friends for 22 years, he does not seems to age and is still full of energy.

Today Day 6 June 7 is not looking so good to be out there high winds rain and thunderstorms are forecasted, it is now 7.30 AM and we might stay here for the day.
We can use a day off for some R&R.
9.30 am Gerda made a nice breakfast and soon we have coffee, if the rain stops we might go for a walk, the Town is very pretty.
Had pancakes for lunch, not so good, the whole town in full of fudge store and sweets( obesity comes to mind )
Very pretty town it was worth it to stay the day.
For the people not familiar with the term beating the harbour master, the Harbour master goes home at 5 and will come back to work at 8 AM( remember our small budget )

Day 7 June 8
A new day and a new adventure coming.

Leaving in light fog again very early in the morning.
Soon the fog was as thick as Dutch pea soup, kept going anyway and tried to stay close to shore to stay out of the commercial shipping lanes we were actually doing really well and even had all the sails up.
28 to 30 ft. of water under us no problem doing 7 knots.
Suddenly boom we ran aground and got really stuck. battling getting the sails down in a healing boat is fun, got stuck close to Lighthouse point about 15 miles out South of Mackinaw City
The fog started to lift and we realized the mistake we made.
Fortunately nobody got hurt and we called the coastguard who assisted us with calling a tow boat they came a hour later and pulled and pulled but not budging an inch.
Then we hooked the tow line to the halyard and he tried to pull us out sideways that did work however the sounds we heard were grinding and scraping the bottom of the lake.
Interesting to see what the keel will look like coming out of the water in the fall.
No damage to the rudder ( we thought ) or the propeller, although we developed a slight vibration in the boat.
We had to pull in Cheboygan port to settle up with the tow guy, now we know why we have insurance a fat $ 1600.00 US Bill later we are on our way again.
Heading to Rogers City and reached it without any problems at 7.30 Pm, had a quick hamburger and crashed.
Woke up at 5.30 and showered and left before the Harbour master came in.

Day 8 June 9
On our way to Harrisville, the weather is really nice and maybe we can get some sailing done today.
Light wind and a perfect day on the water we could see the shoreline and the lighthouses and it was a leisure day in the sun.
Had the Jib out for a while it helped a little.
Came in Harrisville at 4.30 the place looks deserted, nice town/harbour and the showers were great. had a guest room with a TV and we watched part of a soccer game.
Cheap place for docking and fuel.

Day 9 June 10

We are trying to make Port Austin and leave at 7 AM the weather forecast is not great but we cannot wait for the perfect days, hope for the best.
The Westerbeke engine getting its work out, wind right on the nose and shifting continuously at 20 to 25 knots rocking and rolling Gerda got a little queasy.
Gerda wanted to show me something after she made me a coffee and leaned over a little and accidently ( I hope ) pressed the air horn and I was about 2 ft. from my face, after a few scary days I am a little jumpy I spilled my coffee and experienced the feeling someone gets getting a heart attack.
Gerda laughed so hard I thought she wet herself and after a few minutes so did I, you should have been there.
All and all a good day we made Port Austin at 2.30 and had a chance to leisure and do some reading and went for supper in an Italian restaurant that forgot to look at the calendar, they thought it was still 1950.
The food was at best O.K the wine was cheap and tasted great.
Winds are nasty right now and we are hoping it will be quiet tomorrow as we are trying to make Port Sanilac.

Day 10 June 11

Had a good night sleep in our queen size bed, the facilities and the harbour are very nice and priced reasonable ($ 47.00 a night )
The weather is calm right now and after breakfast we will be heading out at 8 AM.
On our way to Sanilac, wind right on the nose but light, coming around the thumb of Michigan the wind was more favourable and had the Jib up for a while.
Listening on the weather station we heard the weather was getting rough up in the Sanilac area, after Gerda’s calculations we decided to cross lake Huron to Goderich.
Wind was good for a few hrs. but died halfway up the lake and light fog came in, did not scare us any after our trip. crossed the commercial channel without a problem.
The fog lifted and Goderich was in sight at about 4.00, after some more calculations we realised we could make it to Bayfield at about 8.00.
We did pulled in at 7.30 and made it HOME SAFE.
I remember somebody saying once, that when it is rough out on the water it is the crew that fails but not the boat, our Catalina 380 can take a lot of rough water and we were impressed with the 110 hrs. we put on the motor
8 ft. waves banging and crashing, getting stuck on the ground, bumping in to a channel marker and us farting around with the sails did not budge the boat.
I am also proud of Gerda to put up with me and a sore back to boot, we survived each other as well and have become even stronger together.

Day 11 Friday June 12 6.30 AM we are up and it is raining the main sail needs to be realigned and put under the cover, this might have to waited until tomorrow.
Started to pack up our stuff and are heading home at about noon.
Gerda:
It sure was a great adventure, Kees always said “it will never be dull when you’re with me” truer words were never spoken, and I love him for it.

After telephone discussions with the insurance company, they thought it was a good idea to hoist Toucan out of the water and asses the damage to the keel.
Friday June 26 was the day and due to the previous stories there were about 15 curious people watching.
My personal though was not to bother taking her out as we sailed it home for about 200 miles after our accident without any issues.
How wrong was I that day!!!!
Toucan emerged out of the water and we all were in a bit of a shock, the rudder was more than half gone!!!
No fiberglass left and only about half of the rudder had a bit foam left on the frame, how did we steer this boat is a mystery but we made it home.
The keel was dented and scraped and was crying for TLC.
I was told not to go anywhere with Toucan at least 10 times by the adjuster and Ed Prezcator our boat repair man.
Maybe I should listen to good advice this time.
We now have a floating cottage and are waiting for a new rudder and Ed to commence the repairs.
I am impressed by the Catalina 380 holding up in all this rough and abusive owners and environment.
Summer is here and we might get some sailing in later in the year.
In the meanwhile we drink some beer and wine and wait.

Casey
Bayfield Harbour light Marina
Ontario Canada
Casey V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 13:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: Sailing adventure

As a citizen of Michigan, I'm irritated that you came to our country and state, enjoyed our beautiful public harbors, and left without paying over five times. You had the nerve to brag about it, calling it "beating the harbour master". You did not beat a harbor master, you stole my tax money You are a disgrace to honest sailors everywhere, and Canadians as well. I hate to wish ill on a fellow sailor, but you deserve your chewed up keel and rudder. Next time pay your bills.
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 13:57   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hello.

I read your long post. At first I enjoyed the log of your trip.

However, I also think it is poor form (poor conduct) to go about cheating or beating the harbor master as you did.

In my view, it can give other innocent cruisers or sailors a bad name in general when some try to get away with not paying while others in the marina do pay.

A sailing community is best when sailors lend a hand, carry their weight, act responsibly, and don't mind helping one another (and other sailors helped you on this journey). It is not a good thing to see some sailors taking advantage of others.

You wrote: "For the people not familiar with the term beating the harbour master, the Harbour master goes home at 5 and will come back to work at 8 AM( remember our small budget )."

Karma has a way of catching up to most people who cheat others.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 14:14   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey V View Post
For the people not familiar with the term beating the harbour master, the Harbour master goes home at 5 and will come back to work at 8 AM( remember our small budget )
Leaving in light fog again very early in the morning.
Suddenly boom we ran aground and got really stuck.
Toucan emerged out of the water and we all were in a bit of a shock, the rudder was more than half gone!!!
No fiberglass left and only about half of the rudder had a bit foam left on the frame, how did we steer this boat is a mystery but we made it home.
The keel was dented and scraped and was crying for TLC.
Ain't Karma a bitch!

In this case, I have no remorse whatsoever about my feeling of schadenfreude.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 15:09   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

At the beginning of your post you mention what a great person Tom was for being so helpful. When asked he claimed to do it so you would pay it forward. Then you systematically screw over anyone and everyone you can! If Tom reads how YOU "paid it forward" he will probably not want to help anyone ever again.
I am Canadian, and appalled that this is the reputation you are setting for Canadian sailors!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:18   #6

You guys are a tough audience! The guy has only had 6 posts and is likely still trying to figure out some of the etiquette of boating and internet forums.

While I agree admitting to dodging port fees on a public forum is unwise, I sincerely doubt the OP is the first or last boater to slip the lines before the office opens.

This would be a good opportunity for gentle guidance rather than harsh judgement methinks.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:37   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
You guys are a tough audience! The guy has only had 6 posts and is likely still trying to figure out some of the etiquette of boating and internet forums.

While I agree admitting to dodging port fees on a public forum is unwise, I sincerely doubt the OP is the first or last boater to slip the lines before the office opens.

This would be a good opportunity for gentle guidance rather than harsh judgement methinks.

Don't be surprised. This site is loaded with Dogooders, Teetotalers, and whatnot.

They even scolded some of the fellas over on Sailing Anarchy for their love of Women's Breasts.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Etiquette? What are the guidelines defining "...etiquette of boating and internet forums."?

Sure. Here on C.F. there's first and foremost the "be nice" rule and a plethora of prohibited types of behaviour. But, enforcement is unequal and remakably unfair sometimes. Largely depends upon who's being "not nice" and whether or not the target is popular.

Anyway, I agree with your suggestion there are many who are too ready to criticize others here at C.F.. Two or more of them and you may have what appears to be a so called "shunning". By any stretch of the imagination not good.

Quote:
While I agree admitting to dodging port fees on a public forum is unwise, I sincerely doubt the OP is the first or last boater to slip the lines before the office opens.e
You can say that again! What surprises me is nobody lambasted the Op for the looonnngg post. I've been on the receiving end of that one and my post was hardly 1/4 as long!

Quote:

Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:40   #9

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: beating the harbormaster - port fees

Am I missing something? Is he staying at a marina and not paying or just anchored out? Because someone mentioned "port fees". Granted, I have not been everywhere but I do not ever remember hearing about "port fees" (nor has anyone ever asked me to pay such a thing) or is this just a Great Lakes thing? Agree it is bad form to use a marina and then leave without paying.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:44   #10

Re: beating the harbormaster - port fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Am I missing something? Is he staying at a marina and not paying or just anchored out? Because someone mentioned "port fees". Granted, I have not been everywhere but I do not ever remember hearing about "port fees" (nor has anyone ever asked me to pay such a thing) or is this just a Great Lakes thing? Agree it is bad form to use a marina and then leave without paying.
It was me who mentioned port fees, I used the term as a catch all term for fees one would normally be expected to pay when in port. It is not a great lakes thing, possibly a misuse of language, possibly not. I don't really care, I think most people will get my point without a dissection of the language.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:22   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Based on feedback from FamilyVan (whose posts I have enjoyed and learned from for years), I will revise my initial, knee-jerk attitude. I was surprised that OP could purchase a relatively new ('99) 38-foot long sailing yacht, but be so hard-pressed that he could not afford to pay for (tax-subsidized) dockage. Of course, I do not know his financial situation at all. I let my surprise and irritation drive an emotional reaction, which is unwise.

A suggestion from my experience is that when planning any trip, like a delivery passage, you budget enough money to legally and safely complete the trip, including unforeseen circumstances. In that manner, your personal reputation is maintained.
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:23   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

Interesting read.

I know how marina fees can really dig into the sailing kitty. There are other ways to make the funds last. If your food budget is tight, you can dine and dash from restaurants. Shoplifting from grocery stores can stretch limited funds as well. Finally, you can siphon fuel from other boats ya hoser.
Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:41   #13

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful View Post
Interesting read.

I know how marina fees can really dig into the sailing kitty. There are other ways to make the funds last. If your food budget is tight, you can dine and dash from restaurants. Shoplifting from grocery stores can stretch limited funds as well. Finally, you can siphon fuel from other boats ya hoser.

Hoser is certainly a good name for a guy that would siphon fuel.

I always had my younger cousin do it when we were teenagers for our cars. He said it took hours to get the taste of gas out of his mouth if he misjudged the uptake.

As far as saving money on sailing trips, anchoring works.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:54   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As I see it, this illustrates the "honor principle" related to how sailors or cruisers can be trusted. Honor? Yes, there is still such a thing. It is related to personal responsibility and personal and group ethics.

The marina operators will trust those who come into the marina late, such as after the office has closed for the day, and those who use their facilities, slips, showers, to report in and to pay the required fee for use. They would trust those same people to pay the fee, even if no one was in the office. That is ethical behavior, and it allows some facilities and services to be used, even if there is no one guarding the gate or facilities.

In short, the marina harbor master trusts the honesty of the sailors and expects them all to pay, fairly.

So, the question becomes, if some people purposefully circumvent or refuse to pay as others have, yet still use those same facilities, are those "beaters" trustworthy or honest or ethical?

------------

Personally, I am appreciative of any place that allows people to use the "honor principle" because it allows access and use of facilities after hours and generally at a lower cost, because there is no need to have 24 hour staffing. I don't mind paying my fair share, and consider it the right thing to do.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:55   #15

Perfect! Constructive alternatives. Anchoring? If one does his research free docking isn't all that hard to find either. Often federal, provincial or state land has some free moorage. For example. I've tied up over night in the Murray canal at designated free mooring sites. Don't expect showers laundry or a beach bar, but if a secure place to sleep is all you require, why not.

Another very good option is if you join a yacht club, most will have excellent reciprocal programs. I use these to keep price under control.

I'm broke as hell too, so sailing on the cheap is a favourite topic of mine, however, I try to avoid larceny.

Tags
sail, sailing