Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 15:28   #1
Guest
 
otherthan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 843
Images: 3
Sail Modifications . . . Good Idea or Bad ?

hello I have no plans on useing my spinaker or genoa...was thinking to have the genoa cut into a mainsail and sell the spinaker.

my reasons are that I am not really interested in going fast...much prefer sailing flat and balanced...and also would like to discard both aft winches to make place for my new taff rail.

would this be foolish things to do for a guy that wants to cross the atlantic???
__________________

__________________
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 15:59   #2
Registered User
 
svcambria's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mexico (currently)
Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Posts: 573
Re: good or bad idea? sail mods...

Quote:
would this be foolish things to do for a guy that wants to cross the atlantic???
Yes, it would be foolish.

Michael
__________________

__________________
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 16:09   #3
Guest
 
otherthan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 843
Images: 3
Re: good or bad idea? sail mods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcambria View Post
Yes, it would be foolish.

Michael

hello Michael

pleas tell me why?

take your time I need youe expertise
__________________
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 16:27   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,440
Re: good or bad idea? sail mods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
hello I have no plans on useing my spinaker or genoa...was thinking to have the genoa cut into a mainsail and sell the spinaker.

my reasons are that I am not really interested in going fast...much prefer sailing flat and balanced...and also would like to discard both aft winches to make place for my new taff rail.

would this be foolish things to do for a guy that wants to cross the atlantic???
G'Day Steeve,

IMO, yep, that is a foolish plan... several reasons:

Even if you don't care about speed, you will find that much of cruising involves light winds. The 150 will sometimes make the difference between sailing and motoring. Good light air sails are an important requirement for long term cruising. There is absolutely no reason that using a 150 genoa will keep you from sailing "flat and balanced" when used in light conditions.

Secondly, the genoa can not be reconfigured into a useable mainsail in any fiscally sound way. The cloth will be far too light for a main, the shape is way different, the patches will be in all the wrong places and the panels will be broadseamed in such a way that re-using them isn't easy at all.

Selling the kite... well, I guess that lots of folks don't use their kites while cruising. But Ann and I often do, and find that there are many days where it will move the boat along at 6-8 knots when the genoa only gives us 2-3 and a working jib would leave us rolling about at a standstill! I'd suggest that you defer this decision until you have more experience with the boat -- you may well find that it isn't as intimidating as you now think. If not, well, then you can sell it!

Hope that these opinions help your decision process, mate.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 16:34   #5
Guest
 
otherthan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 843
Images: 3
Re: good or bad idea? sail mods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Steeve,

IMO, yep, that is a foolish plan... several reasons:

Even if you don't care about speed, you will find that much of cruising involves light winds. The 150 will sometimes make the difference between sailing and motoring. Good light air sails are an important requirement for long term cruising. There is absolutely no reason that using a 150 genoa will keep you from sailing "flat and balanced" when used in light conditions.

Secondly, the genoa can not be reconfigured into a useable mainsail in any fiscally sound way. The cloth will be far too light for a main, the shape is way different, the patches will be in all the wrong places and the panels will be broadseamed in such a way that re-using them isn't easy at all.

Selling the kite... well, I guess that lots of folks don't use their kites while cruising. But Ann and I often do, and find that there are many days where it will move the boat along at 6-8 knots when the genoa only gives us 2-3 and a working jib would leave us rolling about at a standstill! I'd suggest that you defer this decision until you have more experience with the boat -- you may well find that it isn't as intimidating as you now think. If not, well, then you can sell it!

Hope that these opinions help your decision process, mate.

Cheers,

Jim
Thanks Jim
I didnt know there was such a huge diference between a genoa and spi...and needles to say I had no clue that in light air a larger sail would keep the boat balanced...so thanks for your time and wisdome

sometime I feel stupid asking questions but the info I get makes swalowing my pride all worth it.

cheers
__________________
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 16:41   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,003
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: good or bad idea? sail mods...

From your posts, suggest you get a whole lot more sailing time in in varied wind/weather conditions before you do any modifications to your boat. You really need to go out and see what the real world is like and get some experience before you can know what you need to change.

We've all been nube's at one time. I didn't really have a clew what I really wanted in a boat till I'd sailed practically every weekend for a year and through some of the roughest passages around. Of course, there was no internet back then so had to learn most everything by doing it on my own.
__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 16:54   #7
Registered User
 
svcambria's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mexico (currently)
Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Posts: 573
Re: good or bad idea? sail mods...

You got a better explaination from Insatiable while I was off looking for The Physics of Sailing on the Internet for a short persuasive argument. Found the book:

The physics of sailing explained - Google Books

Didn't find the short, persuasive argument.
My experience on the Pacific is that wind velocities are frequently insufficient for "plain white sails" and that you have to dig out the genoa, drifter, genniker, whatever that has more area and lighter weight so it can stay up and draw while the boat rolls - then you can keep on moving with wind power. I just have to believe that it is the same in other oceans...
As for turning one kind of sail into another - it would be much easier and cheaper to trade - or sell the one and buy the other. And as Insatiable mentions - try it out for a while first as is; there is usually a good idea lurking behind the custom and behavior of so many other sailors.

Michael
__________________
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:05   #8
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,948
Images: 6
Re: Sail Modifications . . . Good Idea or Bad ?

Lots of people seem to be intimidated by spinnakers. Learn how to use one, though, and it becomes a tremendously useful sail. And it's not just for racers. I haven't raced in years, but learning early on how to set and use a spinnaker has kept me going under sail many times when all the other cruising boats were motoring.

Really. A spinnaker is probably the single, most useful thing that cruisers SHOULD learn how to use, but most never do.
__________________

__________________
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is a Pearson P-30 a Good Safe Boat for Open Ocean ? danniel24 General Sailing Forum 12 11-07-2015 06:39
Tartan or Sabre ? Here's a Couple of Examples Jbingham Monohull Sailboats 29 31-08-2011 13:50
Abacos . . . The Good, The Bad and General Thoughts. sailndoug Atlantic & the Caribbean 1 18-07-2011 08:05
Singlehanding - Sleeping - Good Idea ? kingfish The Sailor's Confessional 308 07-07-2011 11:16



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:18.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.