Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 03:22   #31

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: Questions from a newbie....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Pebble View Post
So far my only experience has been sailing a 33' GRP sloop rigged Najad as a Day Skipper (on the Solent). I am currently looking at a 35' steel Schooner. (My local area is now Bristol Channel)

Questions...
What differences do I need to be especially aware of?

What resources can anybody recommend to aid the cross-over and stop me looking too much like a plonker?

Is this a 'step too far'?

Thanks in advance

A 35 foot steel schooner is going to be S.L.O.W.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 03:47   #32

Boat: Soon Come - still looking

The Paranoia Descends....

Reading back your messages has brought home to me that there is so much more to be learned before putting my cash on the table.
More and more, I am starting to feel that a steel boat would be wrong for me for the reasons you(s) have pointed out, and also my unfamiliarity with many of the tools and skills that I would need to master to keep such a boat afloat and in good/safe condition.
I really appreciate all your links and suggestions. Each one has changed or underlined my understanding (although I am still working my way through the forums here).

Nikki Pebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 04:01   #33

Boat: Soon Come - still looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
A 35 foot steel schooner is going to be S.L.O.W.
Thanks for that thought

I had budgeted terminal velocity(!?) at about 5-7 knots through the water at wind speed of 20 knots. Is there some sort of equation to work it out?

ps already sold my water-ski !
Nikki Pebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 05:25   #34

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Pebble View Post
Thanks for that thought

I had budgeted terminal velocity(!?) at about 5-7 knots through the water at wind speed of 20 knots. Is there some sort of equation to work it out?

ps already sold my water-ski !
Well, you may get that, but your average would be closer to 4 with such a hull and sail config. Steel is proportionately heavier by power to weight ratio as you descend in waterline length, and a schooner rig is not the most powerful for a smaller vessel either. For a vessel of that length I would have suggested sloop is best, or yawl at most. Unless gaff rigged cutter schooner with a sprit, but that comes with its own issues, and would still be better as a sloop at that length. You would only have half decent power on a reach. Off the wind would be slow, and to windward, better have a copy of Silas Marner to translate to Chinese while you wait.

Of course these are generalisations, and your prospective boat may be an exception. Also, frankly, speed may not be an issue. 4 knots was the average on all James Cook's voyages and good friends of mine from Hamburg have recently completed a circumnav in a 40 foot steel vessel which tended to average the same, though admittedly was a sloop. Weather windows become a lot harder at that speed however…
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 14:26   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

No worries, you have a good dream & I hope the book helps you to achieve it with an accelerated learning curve as I'm sure it will. Earlier post was useful learning a bit more about ultrasonic testing for me.
cheers
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote