Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2012, 11:32   #1

Picture From A Nightwatch

Had my gopro clipped to the radar post. Twilight hours before pitch blackness. Staysail (boom) winged out keeping us at maybe ~4.5 knots, pretty comfy. Popped the drifter up on the forestay later at night when the wind really dropped low.

I've been doing the wristwatch on a twenty minute countdown, doing all my watch keeping duties, then going back to reading zombie books on the Kindle. This was two nights ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nightwatch.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	46810
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 11:39   #2

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Re: Picture From A Nightwatch

Nice pic.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 17:06   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Very cool - Where are you headed?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 17:30   #4

Nice. You look nice and cozy in cockpit there. Were you single handing? Was your Gopro on timelapse? I finally got my GoPro wifi backpack remote to work. I was hoping to use it on a cruise but, generator issues have caused me to cancel it. Good to see someone out there though.
Old 20-09-2012, 17:38   #5

Boat: Brayndlmeyer 40 custom
Saweet
Snkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 21:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Very cool - Where are you headed?
Headed back to San Diego, got in last night. Three weeks of refit/repair/stocking up then off to Mexico and officially starting our full time circumnavigation goal. Just finished up our shakedown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Nice. You look nice and cozy in cockpit there. Were you single handing? Was your Gopro on timelapse? I finally got my GoPro wifi backpack remote to work. I was hoping to use it on a cruise but, generator issues have caused me to cancel it. Good to see someone out there though.
My wife is 5 months pregnant and we have a two year old so I'm basically single handing; she doesn't have the stability or stamina anymore to work the rig. As a disclaimer, she'll be back when she's un-pregnant but for now her handling our daughter is enough to help out.

I usually put it on a timer, taking pictures every few seconds/minutes. You never really know when something cool is going to happen so I try to have it snapping away a lot. I've been really happy with it. It has it quirks, but all in all it's been great.
Old 20-09-2012, 23:58   #7
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Which zombie books? Anything goog?
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 00:26   #8

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Beautiful photo... that cockpit looks so cozy
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 03:04   #9

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Nice pic! Yes, the GoPro is the bees knees!
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 07:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Which zombie books? Anything goog?
You like zombie books? I seriously have read at least two dozen in the last couple of years. This is one of my favorites: The Gathering Dead (A Zombie Apocalypse Novel): Stephen Knight: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

I even started writing my own zombie book, which of course involves boats and sailors. I figure I have a target audience of maybe seven people worldwide.
Old 21-09-2012, 07:27   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
You like zombie books? I seriously have read at least two dozen in the last couple of years. This is one of my favorites: The Gathering Dead (A Zombie Apocalypse Novel): Stephen Knight: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

I even started writing my own zombie book, which of course involves boats and sailors. I figure I have a target audience of maybe seven people worldwide.

Who doesn't? Unless it's "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" or something. Still like Max Brooks best though...

No wonder you so clearly appreciate rule #1 of a zombie apocalypse- "Cardio"!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 07:36   #12

Boat: Seafarer 34'
Send a message via Skype™ to KelleyG

Such a cool photo! Thanks for sharing.

Kelley
Sailing Chance
KelleyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 07:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Headed back to San Diego, got in last night. Three weeks of refit/repair/stocking up then off to Mexico and officially starting our full time circumnavigation goal. Just finished up our shakedown.

I usually put it on a timer, taking pictures every few seconds/minutes. You never really know when something cool is going to happen so I try to have it snapping away a lot. I've been really happy with it. It has it quirks, but all in all it's been great.
Looking forward to hearing about your cruise and seeing what you capture with the GoPro. Yep, the GoPro can be quirky. Spent about five hours trying to get the WiFi backpack and remote to work. Had to put it down in frustration. Came back to it a week later and was finally able to get things running after an hour after some more updates. I actually find myself using a knockoff Swann camera much more as it is much easier to operate. Has separate buttons for taking photos or video. None of that button reprogramming like with the GoPro. Though the optional viewfinder does make GoPro programming a little easier. Enjoy Mexico!
Old 21-09-2012, 08:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Looking forward to hearing about your cruise and seeing what you capture with the GoPro. Yep, the GoPro can be quirky. Spent about five hours trying to get the WiFi backpack and remote to work. Had to put it down in frustration. Came back to it a week later and was finally able to get things running after an hour after some more updates. I actually find myself using a knockoff Swann camera much more as it is much easier to operate. Has separate buttons for taking photos or video. None of that button reprogramming like with the GoPro. Though the optional viewfinder does make GoPro programming a little easier. Enjoy Mexico!
Mine was the fog issue. Drove me friggin crazy. I scuba dive and paddleboard a lot, and I would always end up with the back 3/4 of my stuff looking like it was shot through a piece of cheese cloth. Just totally fogged in lenses. I saw GoPro's $15 anti-fog inserts but refused to buy them out of principle. I eventually gave in and got them; I suppose now they'll work but it's still a decent amount of set up time and conditions to get the thing working nice. And of course for diving now I need the $50 dive housing.

I heard GoPro sells their cameras right at cost and makes the money on accessories. Seems to make sense. It's just annoying to buy a $200 camera and not really be able to use it for the applications it says it can until you spend another $200 on supplemental equipment.
Old 21-09-2012, 08:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Who doesn't? Unless it's "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" or something. Still like Max Brooks best though...

No wonder you so clearly appreciate rule #1 of a zombie apocalypse- "Cardio"!
I never read that one but Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter was a really good book, I swear. Never met anyone who didn't like it.