Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 12:28   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Hurricane holes in Dominic Republic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
My trip should start Sunday from USVI through Puerto Rico, Dominican Rep., Haiti, Cuba, Key West, FL. I do not want it make longer than 6-8 weeks. For a hurricane I would stay FL.
You will want to take special care in the Mona Passage. Chris Parker will mention it by name in his forecasts. Since you're going east to west, the window might be a little less critical, but basically you will want to do it in a flat calm and otherwise very settled weather.
Old 31-05-2016, 12:28   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
My suggestion, if you are going to leave Luperon for PR, you can make a pitt stop at Samana for weather or rest, but in any case don't stay in the DR out of Luperon far in the season,,,, there is not good holes in the NE coast despite some folks claim Samana its something to consider,PR in the other hand have few good spots in case of storm threat....
Agree. Luperon is your best bet.
Old 31-05-2016, 13:00   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: VZ 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I use PocketGRIB on my iphone. Also like passageweather http://www.passageweather.com/and Windfinder https://www.windfinder.com/. Also, recent convert to Windyty https://www.windyty.com/?17.117,-61.850,4
I really like these too.
Jack_Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 13:31   #34
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
You will want to take special care in the Mona Passage. Chris Parker will mention it by name in his forecasts. Since you're going east to west, the window might be a little less critical, but basically you will want to do it in a flat calm and otherwise very settled weather.
What do you mean by special care ? I would be around 7-10 days in PR before DR. Luckly for me wind would always push me forward (west)
Old 31-05-2016, 14:16   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What do you mean by special care ? I would be around 7-10 days in PR before DR. Luckly for me wind would always push me forward (west)
It's a pretty notorious passage. Typically, strong squalls roll off the PR west coast, especially in the afternoon. Also, you will want to avoid an area of somewhat shallow water that juts off the DR coast that's known as the "Hourglass Shoals." They are not even close to dangerously shallow from a draft standpoint, but are a big enough change from the surrounding depths so that you can get some nasty waves.

Bruce Van Sant, in "Passages South" has a pretty well-defined strategy for getting across it, but that is for going west to east. Still, some of the same concerns would apply in the opposite direction.

We made it across quite easily, but we had very settled weather.
Old 31-05-2016, 14:37   #36

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
We had one immigration official request a tip, which amounted to a few dollars. Mostly, I think these reports are either exaggerated or outdated. Having spent the month of March in Luperon and Samana, we had pretty much zero problems with officials. Just my $0.02.
I agree that ordinarily there are minimal issues with Propina in the DR. However, I had a huge issue in Puerto Plata (I'm not the only one who has), and had to pull the change bag out to get rid of them. This is why I and many others tell cruisers to avoid pulling into Puerto Plata. I have never had an issue in Ocean World, or Luperon although I do know of an American sailing couple that did have issues in Luperon after arguing with the Comandante there which was a stupid and disrespectful thing to do. I personally love the DR, have a home and family in Puerto Plata, and I would love to live there full time after my sailing adventures come to an end. It's just that some people seem to sometimes have an issue understanding the fact that these people are "DIRT POOR" (American welfare recipients are rich in comparison), and just a few dollars for Propina can make all of the difference in the world to these peoples lives as well as make your stay much nicer! First time I pulled into Ocean World, I tipped the line handlers $5.00 US each because they tied up my boat well, and even hooked up my elect and water. After I handed them each $5.00, they grabbed up the water hose, asked for a bucket, soap, mop and towels and washed my boat. Did a good job too.. I appreciated it because I'd just pulled in after a 24hr passage from Provo to get there, and came up with another $12.00 or $6.00 each, and asked them to keep an eye on my boat while I was gone.. Had no issues while I was there, and they took care of my boat while I was away for two weeks. Nothing missing, Nothing broken into and worth every penny.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 14:55   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
I agree that ordinarily there are minimal issues with Propina in the DR. However, I had a huge issue in Puerto Plata (I'm not the only one who has), and had to pull the change bag out to get rid of them. This is why I and many others tell cruisers to avoid pulling into Puerto Plata. I have never had an issue in Ocean World, or Luperon although I do know of an American sailing couple that did have issues in Luperon after arguing with the Comandante there which was a stupid and disrespectful thing to do. I personally love the DR, have a home and family in Puerto Plata, and I would love to live there full time after my sailing adventures come to an end. It's just that some people seem to sometimes have an issue understanding the fact that these people are "DIRT POOR" (American welfare recipients are rich in comparison), and just a few dollars for Propina can make all of the difference in the world to these peoples lives as well as make your stay much nicer! First time I pulled into Ocean World, I tipped the line handlers $5.00 US each because they tied up my boat well, and even hooked up my elect and water. After I handed them each $5.00, they grabbed up the water hose, asked for a bucket, soap, mop and towels and washed my boat. Did a good job too.. I appreciated it because I'd just pulled in after a 24hr passage from Provo to get there, and came up with another $12.00 or $6.00 each, and asked them to keep an eye on my boat while I was gone.. Had no issues while I was there, and they took care of my boat while I was away for two weeks. Nothing missing, Nothing broken into and worth every penny.
Yes, there have been issues. For Luperon, I think they are mainly in the past. The current Commandante there is on the level and word is that his position and a much-desired promotion are predicated on a clean operation. I found it much the same in Samana. As for elsewhere, I can't say.

Having said that, the requirement of a despacio for each port is a royal PITA. But, reality is, unless you're going to another Dominican port, no one outside gives a rodent's posterior about that paper. We were not asked for it in Puerto Rico and I seriously doubt you'd be asked for it going the other direction either.
Old 31-05-2016, 15:07   #38

Quote:
Good to know their check in-out "habbits"
Can I do check in in Isola Samana, South-East side of DR?
Did you visit or see any marinas, fuel docks in west from Luperon like Monte Cristi area or any close to Haiti?
I gave you the info on the only other marina west that I know of and that was Provo. I stay away from Haiti and suggest you read up on the current cruising situation as well as current unrest there before planning to stop there.

Isla de Sona does not have check in facilities, but Samana does, and they are decent people to deal with too. I highly suggest "Bahia Escondido" (hidden Bay) in Samana, and there's a dock on the west side of the bridge to nowhere (you cant miss it) to check in. and NOTE: If coming into Samana after dark, keep a flashlight handy at the helm, and keep an eye out for other flashlights on the water, in the dark flashing one long light (3-4 seconds) at you. If you see one, return two short flashes back and take note of the location because the bay is full of fishermen at night with NO lights aboard.

But make no bones about it, the People in the DR are going to try and get you to check in and out as many times as is possible to maximize their earnings. I know this sounds silly, but getting a (normal) cruising permit is not done in the DR like it is elsewhere. If I was going to try and check in only once while pulling into several DR locations, I would first check into Punta Cana at the Marina there and tell them what you are wanting to do. They are more "Tourist Friendly" and see more tourists and visitors than the rest of the country. They even host one of the Bermuda Triangle Billfish Tournaments there, so they would be your best bet. Otherwise, I see you checking in and out at every stop in the DR. I get away with not checking in and out at each port only because my wife is Dominicana, and I just let her handle everything when checking in or out. One last thing. I really would stay out of the bay in Puerto Plata and go to Ocean World which is another 30-45 minutes, or continue on to Luperon. Most cruising guides for the DR will say the same thing.FYI, The city of Puerto Plata is great and I highly recommend it. Zip lines, Mountains, Waterfalls, and of course, Ocean World. I even know an Expat that lives there (Is American) and is a great cheap taxi service if needed. Yes he will pick you up anywhere and take you anywhere cheap.
Old 31-05-2016, 15:13   #39

Quote:
Yes, there have been issues. For Luperon, I think they are mainly in the past. The current Commandante there is on the level and word is that his position and a much-desired promotion are predicated on a clean operation. I found it much the same in Samana. As for elsewhere, I can't say.

Having said that, the requirement of a despacio for each port is a royal PITA. But, reality is, unless you're going to another Dominican port, no one outside gives a rodent's posterior about that paper. We were not asked for it in Puerto Rico and I seriously doubt you'd be asked for it going the other direction either.
I was asked for it in St Thomas checking in, but not PR. Provo never asked either. Just didn't care as long as there were two stamps on the passport. They can't read it anyways.. hahaha..
Old 31-05-2016, 15:25   #40

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

If there is anything you want to know about Luperon, ask away.. I'm sitting in the harbor right now and entered a couple of days ago.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 16:10   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
If there is anything you want to know about Luperon, ask away.. I'm sitting in the harbor right now and entered a couple of days ago.
Hope you enjoy your stay in the DR..
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 18:43   #42

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
Hope you enjoy your stay in the DR..
Thanks..

One thing I want to say is that you should ignore the naysayers.. Sure checkin sucks, but after that its a great place with great people. A true gem that has fallen from grace and is now overlooked!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:26   #43

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Thanks..

One thing I want to say is that you should ignore the naysayers.. Sure checkin sucks, but after that its a great place with great people. A true gem that has fallen from grace and is now overlooked!
Yes, agree inded, is one of those places worth to visit and enjoy, beautiful island .....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:05   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
It's a pretty notorious passage. Typically, strong squalls roll off the PR west coast, especially in the afternoon. Also, you will want to avoid an area of somewhat shallow water that juts off the DR coast that's known as the "Hourglass Shoals." They are not even close to dangerously shallow from a draft standpoint, but are a big enough change from the surrounding depths so that you can get some nasty waves.

Bruce Van Sant, in "Passages South" has a pretty well-defined strategy for getting across it, but that is for going west to east. Still, some of the same concerns would apply in the opposite direction.

We made it across quite easily, but we had very settled weather.
Thank you. This is very good info. For me would be first time cruising this way so really apreciate this
Old 01-06-2016, 06:16   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I gave you the info on the only other marina west that I know of and that was Provo. I stay away from Haiti and suggest you read up on the current cruising situation as well as current unrest there before planning to stop there.
Do you mean Provo in Turks and Icacos? What is the problem that mostly happen in Haiti for cruising?

Quote:
Isla de Sona does not have check in facilities, but Samana does, and they are decent people to deal with too. I highly suggest "Bahia Escondido" (hidden Bay) in Samana, and there's a dock on the west side of the bridge to nowhere (you cant miss it) to check in. and NOTE: If coming into Samana after dark, keep a flashlight handy at the helm, and keep an eye out for other flashlights on the water, in the dark flashing one long light (3-4 seconds) at you. If you see one, return two short flashes back and take note of the location because the bay is full of fishermen at night with NO lights aboard.
I will keep that in my mind for sure. Thanks for warning

Quote:
But make no bones about it, the People in the DR are going to try and get you to check in and out as many times as is possible to maximize their earnings. I know this sounds silly, but getting a (normal) cruising permit is not done in the DR like it is elsewhere. If I was going to try and check in only once while pulling into several DR locations, I would first check into Punta Cana at the Marina there and tell them what you are wanting to do. They are more "Tourist Friendly" and see more tourists and visitors than the rest of the country. They even host one of the Bermuda Triangle Billfish Tournaments there, so they would be your best bet. Otherwise, I see you checking in and out at every stop in the DR. I get away with not checking in and out at each port only because my wife is Dominicana, and I just let her handle everything when checking in or out. One last thing. I really would stay out of the bay in Puerto Plata and go to Ocean World which is another 30-45 minutes, or continue on to Luperon. Most cruising guides for the DR will say the same thing.FYI, The city of Puerto Plata is great and I highly recommend it. Zip lines, Mountains, Waterfalls, and of course, Ocean World. I even know an Expat that lives there (Is American) and is a great cheap taxi service if needed. Yes he will pick you up anywhere and take you anywhere cheap.
I can imagine that 5-10$ for them is like 300-500$ or more for US people.
What is wrong with Puerto Plata bay ?

Tags
hurricane