Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 13:49   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: How stupid are some people?

Well first wind, I gotta admit, you really do understand the Biker thing. It why several of us years ago began calling ourselves motorcyclist as we did not want to be identified with "Bikers" that was before the Yuppies thought it cool.
I first got into street riding in 1978 , first street bike a KZ 650, then in a yr or so I was racing professionally with George Bryce at a little shop in Americus Ga named Star Cycle, George is still at it, shop is now called Star Racing, look it up. We didn't do so bad, I kind of enjoyed that year, I did very well myself, I specialized in what we called bush racing. I met my wife knew I wanted to get married and motorcycle racing wasn't going to raise a family, especially if I fell, we all fall, it's only a matter of when. I think even Kenny Rogers fell.

Anyway usually down South here the group that us performance motorcyclist had the most trouble with were the Outlaws, and yes I can tell you a lot of them were to put it mildly deviants, and anyone the made money by having their ( insert female dog name here) provide favors for other men, while they made money by thieving and manufacture and sale of illegal drugs and were not above murder as mentally ill. Was that all of them, or course not as we used to say in the motorcycle world it's the one percent that gives the bad name, but with the Outlaws in the late 70's and early 80's it was more than one percent, there were initiations for the Women that were not normal and other things.

But what I cannot fathom is why in the world would a successful CPA or Dentist want to try to act as if he were like that? I'll tell you why, cause he has no idea what they were like, just its popular now to ride a "Hog" or at least trailer it down to Daytona in the matching trailer behind the Suburban. In the 70's and early 80's you would see hordes of bikes being ridden down I-95 on the way to Daytona for bike week, now it's hordes of Suburbans pulling custom trailers painted to match, stop at any Hilton on the way down, the parking lot will be filled with them, go in the bar and meet all the "Bikers" in their new leathers all with chains on their wallets.

You see the same in flying, guy shows up with a set of David Clark headsets, wearing his bomber jacket and Ray Ban sunglasses.
You know what he is.

I guess sailing is the same, but I'm so new I don't know? Actually I don't think sailing is "in" is it? I feel sure I don't look the part as just the other day I had someone walk up and ask me if I knew who owned my boat I was working on something and did not I'm sure look like a "yacht" owner.

I don't know what it is in now, I am astonished that Harley's are still popular. I sold my last street bike a year or so ago, a Honda CBR-1100 XX and only have my Husqvarna TE450 left, and I am way too old and fat to race competitively now although I used to have a blast on a Suzuki GS500E racing in Sportsmen class in WERA.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:52   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Every body, or most anyway once in a blue moon have a celebration, maybe drink too much and were probably loud and obnoxious. I know that I have although I don't remember the last time.
But every weekend during the Summer?

Old 10-08-2016, 13:56   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How stupid are some people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
Well, I gotta have somebody to disdain, and for my validation, there has to be a large number of others who are already deriding those people. Pirate flags and Jimmy Buffet music are easily identified targets and well-known to be scoffed at by the 'cool' group with whom I so dearly want to be associated.

Panama City has forever been known as the "Red Neck Rivera" Down or up here depending on your location, the Pirate / Jimmy Buffet crowd are the cool group, much different than the Rebel flag, Southern Rock and Roll group, they are the hicks.
Except for the clothes, they sure look and sound the same

Old 10-08-2016, 14:14   #34

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I think people get so many knots and twists in their life lines. By the time they accumulate enough wealth to buy these really expensive toys...they somehow lose grip on what is fair or decency to others around them. Maybe they are trying to get their 'groove' back..."Hey, look at me! I survived and look at how cool I am."

As far as Jimmy Buffet is concerned....I love his music. I do not blare it but enjoy his lyrics and his musicality. It really isn't about the music, is it? It could be Gypsy Kings played at full tilt until 2 am in the morning...it would have the same effect, Yes?

I owned multiple Harleys growing up. Now I ride super sport bike for the last 8 years. The Harley guys disdain the sport riders. Won't even acknowledge a hand wave from a sport bike rider here in California. There are reasons for that due to azzhat kids doing stupid things. But for me it is still about the sensation of riding without the cage around you. The acceleration and cornering abilitites of a sport bike are pure joy. Such a waste of life energy to be a hater of anything.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 14:30   #35

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I do not know exactly how it fits with this thread, but it does. My wife just told me there is some guy in the process of climbing the outside of Trump (no endorsement implied) Tower in New York, using suction cups.
Old 10-08-2016, 14:46   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Your right about it not having anything at all to do about the music, it is nothing but an indicator I guess, these folks would be just as obnoxious playing any music or no music I'm sure.

Old 10-08-2016, 14:47   #37

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Wow from small sailboat to big yacht to buffet to skynard to Brenda Lee to biker to hd Honda Etc. Hey guys and gals, it's all in perspective.
I ran a bar for years. I was told once , 'oh you run that biker bar ! ' it was a ma n pa bar you know with living quarters attached and kids riding tricycles around the pool table. Gee I guess that makes me owner of a biker bar. Although my best customers were state police and a few politicians , I did cater to bikers and car owners and just about anyone who put cash on the barrel head. The only time a neighbor commented on noise was when I was welding and pounding steel in my shop till wee hours one night. I had gone over to buy some veggies from his market stand to ask if I kept him up ? He said nah I figured you was under the gun on that job . Perspective....
Oh my bikes were Kawas, HD , Honda and the hd was the most labor intensive sob I ever owned. The Honda had a sidecar which usually had kids and/or dogs in it, and a tool box to keep that side down lol. And yeah , I had a 1929 35 foot Liggett in the yard as eye candy next to a faux dock with a cheese factory vat next to it filled with water for effect, uss minnow type, summer weekend Gilligan parties, and of course Buffet music....
And I flew a pirate flag on a barge going under Mackinac bridge on a subcontractor job for the coast guard on Gull island, perspective. Got left on the island by the contractor, so some biologists studying seagulls took us to Beaver island where there was rum to be had arrgghhhh ! Drank all the rum, next morning the tug captain showed up just as we was commandeering his boat. **** is that piracy ! Perspective!
Now I'm a yuppie I spose cuz I'm putting a goddam electric motor in a boat , and run it by pirating the sun.....
Ya see its all in perspective!!! All you biker trash, boatie boys, parrot heads, rebels, Yankees, yuppies, and and pirates, and hypocrits. Btw the worst pirates was the lesbian ones if you do diligent research on the subject.
Oh I must be lesbian cuz I love women, lighten up France's !!!
Now it's time for my meds..... In perspective of course.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 15:37   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
I think people get so many knots and twists in their life lines. By the time they accumulate enough wealth to buy these really expensive toys...they somehow lose grip on what is fair or decency to others around them. Maybe they are trying to get their 'groove' back..."Hey, look at me! I survived and look at how cool I am."

As far as Jimmy Buffet is concerned....I love his music. I do not blare it but enjoy his lyrics and his musicality. It really isn't about the music, is it? It could be Gypsy Kings played at full tilt until 2 am in the morning...it would have the same effect, Yes?

I owned multiple Harleys growing up. Now I ride super sport bike for the last 8 years. The Harley guys disdain the sport riders. Won't even acknowledge a hand wave from a sport bike rider here in California. There are reasons for that due to azzhat kids doing stupid things. But for me it is still about the sensation of riding without the cage around you. The acceleration and cornering abilitites of a sport bike are pure joy. Such a waste of life energy to be a hater of anything.
There is alot of that here in FL as well,,,I always get a kick out of the wave,if I am on the Harley every harley-davidson waves,but God help me if I am on the beamer,it is an r1100s ,,thats there sport looking boxer motor bike,not really a sport bike,those guys start to wave then they see its a beamer & the hand will slam back on the bars, hysterical really to see the confusion. Now the Harley guys they won't wave at me at all! Now the same guy I passed after I changed bikes he will wave now! I am the same guy on the bmw or the Harley. ..now when I get out the supermoto well,,,,,screw it man I just want to ride,,,I guess I will play whatever music I want! Just not in the marina at 2 am! Haha
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 15:45   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar
Does that imply you are not a Jimmy Buffet fan?
sounds like it does. too bad.
Wowee. If you're looking for offense, I guess you'll find it anywhere. I was simply building a joke, based on a well-known boating stereotype, and with no implied judgement; you guys have added that yourself.

Do I think Jimmy is the brightest star in the musical firmament? No, I do not. Do I know all the words to "Margaritaville" (salt, salt, salt), own some vintage ballcaps, and can I rock a hella loud tropical shirt? You will have to entice me aboard to find out.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 17:03   #40

Boat: Hartley Sth Seas 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Wowee. If you're looking for offense, I guess you'll find it anywhere. I was simply building a joke, based on a well-known boating stereotype, and with no implied judgement; you guys have added that yourself.

Do I think Jimmy is the brightest star in the musical firmament? No, I do not. Do I know all the words to "Margaritaville" (salt, salt, salt), own some vintage ballcaps, and can I rock a hella loud tropical shirt? You will have to entice me aboard to find out.
Well ,just to help I've got this wee gem for you. TBH I had to go listen to this which has helped now understand this entire thread and it must be 2am somewhere in the World..... (hope this works or I'm the stupid one now.
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BGNpjDmiHvc
Sofie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 17:03   #41

Boat: Currently in between

What is funny about all this is Jimmy is what many would call a true sailor. One of his first tasks on any sailboat he has owned is to pull the nasty, smokin diesel out and pitch it. He can sail right up to the dock and step off.

As to his music, yea, I know most of the words to the older stuff, not the newer stuff. Even the bear that stole the still, most don't even know what song that is.. Do I play it loud and offensively, nope, I try to be respectful of others.

Most people that do play their music too loud and offend me are playing Rap. WTF? But I understand a lot of Jimmy's fans do the same. I've never figured out why people think because they like it everyone else wants to hear it. Hell no, they don't! Turn that **** down be it Buffett or Rap or country.
Old 10-08-2016, 17:07   #42

Boat: Hartley Southseas 38'

So, have I got this right?
One of these guys has been listening to Warren Buffet.
Stevie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 17:14   #43

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Hey I'm a big fan of Warren Buffet. I like his most famous song, "Ballad of Berkshire and Hathaway."

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 17:24   #44

Boat: O'Day 28

When I started sailing and riding, there weren't many of us. A wave seemed to make some sense. Now? It's an affectation that I deplore be it bike or boat. The world is full of poseurs. I'm not a fan.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 17:27   #45

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
So, have I got this right?
One of these guys has been listening to Warren Buffet.
Ya dare inso ?
I eat up dare by his sisters place the Pizza Buffet.

For crying out loud...

Unemployed comedians!
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote