Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2016, 11:47   #31

Boat: Baltic 52
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

For the Walker Bay, a block and tackle off the end of the boom makes the most sense. You can also rig a hrness (bow, stern and oarlocks) to keep the dinghy more or less level while hoisting.. If you want to go with the main halyard, the 120 pounds is minor. You're just going to wrestle the dink aboard. Either way, it'll work.
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 13:19   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydeaux View Post
For the Walker Bay, a block and tackle off the end of the boom makes the most sense. You can also rig a hrness (bow, stern and oarlocks) to keep the dinghy more or less level while hoisting.. If you want to go with the main halyard, the 120 pounds is minor. You're just going to wrestle the dink aboard. Either way, it'll work.
I have read this more than once . Could someone tell me how you can possibly lift a dinghy with the main boom and get it past the mast and deposit it on the fore deck. There must be some new fangled spar out there I know nothing about.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 17:00   #33

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

This solution will take a bit of gear.

Two blocks, one with a becket. Lots of line but do not need to take the top becket block on the main halyard too high, just enough so the dingy clears the lifelines. Maybe 20m of line.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 18:09   #34

Just lifted my dingy to my foredeck an hour ago with my main halyard. Use the halyard in reverse so you are hauling from the front of the mast. I attach the halyard to my towing harness with a third line to the bow ring, this minimizes swing, haul it out of the water just ahead of my forward lower shroud, swing it onboard, raise it until the transom is at the level of the mast step and lower it with a little assist so the bow falls forward, inverted, of course. Works every time. In fact my dink is now over my Vee berth's overhead hatch, which is wide open, and it's raining. We're getting a cool breeze and no water. Been doing this for a few season and no noticeable change in my halyards ability to function in its intended purpose.
APKetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 18:40   #35

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by APKetcher View Post
Just lifted my dingy to my foredeck an hour ago with my main halyard. Use the halyard in reverse so you are hauling from the front of the mast.
Okaay, say it with me... O...M...G... You would have thought with all my obsessing over this I would have seen this simple solution, run the halyard in reverse... brilliant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by APKetcher View Post
In fact my dink is now over my Vee berth's overhead hatch, which is wide open, and it's raining. We're getting a cool breeze and no water. Been doing this for a few season and no noticeable change in my halyards ability to function in its intended purpose.
Perfect... part of the reason I want to be able to do this easily is because I don't like dragging the dink, and part of it is for exactly this reason... it's like the most bulletproof rain fly ever!
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 18:45   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Okaay, say it with me... O...M...G... You would have thought with all my obsessing over this I would have seen this simple solution, run the halyard in reverse... brilliant...
Only works if you have external halyards... something I've not had for decades! But for sure, just fine if you have such!

Shows how blind habit can make one!

Jim
Old 24-03-2016, 18:49   #37

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I hoist my AB VS 10.5 foot RIB, with its 15 HP outboard, about 350 pounds, up onto my quarterdeck on a 40 foot multihull. It's a snap.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 07:47   #38

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Hi Bass~ if you plan on keeping the gulf very long, then put up an extra halyard foreword. Its pretty simple and inexpensive. I use my spinnaker halyard and pole to hoist the dink, with another block and tackle from the pole to the dink. I can hoist it, whilst keeping away from the hull and swing it over the deck and lower it. My dink weighs a might more and I use a block and tackle with three purchases and can pull it up hand over hand without a winch. if you don't want to install another halyard, using a pole fwd of the shrouds with a block and tackle will work. It's not so much the load....120lbs....but the chaffing as you hoist. So fixing the pole and using the block from it will reduce that. I would strongly suggest putting a block on the mast head for another halyard tho. Drop the head sail hoist yourself up drill two holes mount the block run the line come back down raise the head sail furl it done! one afternoon, two hours tops, tools, parts, cleanup and sit down and have a mint julep. intimidation caused by inexperience is the only road block to any success.

the oceans horizon was very intimidating for a long time. a man got over that road block and went out and found what he thought was the other side of India. He wasn't the brightest orange in the bushel, but he did have the most powerful backers and so was accredited for being the first to discover "the new land" any way don't let the task intimidate you. It can be done safely.

good luck and happy sailing.
Lance
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 08:18   #39

Boat: Gulf 32

Thanks Lance, lot of good suggestions in this thread, and your paragraph sums them up nicely. My plan is to just as you suggest w/the block and tackle and the pole... will be using my main halyard (backwards as previously suggested) for now until I get up the mast.

I have a fire department background in rope rescue so am particular in how I want to do my mast climbing, just need to prioritize the $500 or so I need in equipment (all my rope work has been with, you know, the fire department's equipment so I have none right now)... but it's moving up the list priority wise as I don't like the idea of this "inaccessible" territory up there at the top of the mast (want to add spare halyard, check my sheaves, replace anchor light with LED, windex, etc. etc.).

Oh, and I'm trying to learn the art of patience

-- Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
Hi Bass~ if you plan on keeping the gulf very long, then put up an extra halyard foreword. Its pretty simple and inexpensive. I use my spinnaker halyard and pole to hoist the dink, with another block and tackle from the pole to the dink. I can hoist it, whilst keeping away from the hull and swing it over the deck and lower it. My dink weighs a might more and I use a block and tackle with three purchases and can pull it up hand over hand without a winch. if you don't want to install another halyard, using a pole fwd of the shrouds with a block and tackle will work. It's not so much the load....120lbs....but the chaffing as you hoist. So fixing the pole and using the block from it will reduce that. I would strongly suggest putting a block on the mast head for another halyard tho. Drop the head sail hoist yourself up drill two holes mount the block run the line come back down raise the head sail furl it done! one afternoon, two hours tops, tools, parts, cleanup and sit down and have a mint julep. intimidation caused by inexperience is the only road block to any success.

good luck and happy sailing.
Lance
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, dinghy, halyard