Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 06:29   #1

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'
Fending off Pilings

Many docks seem to have pilings to tie up to. My powerboat has a heavy-duty rub rail so it's manageable. But my sailboat has no rub rail, and is marginally too small to carry 2x4 boards to lower across my fenders. What's the best way to deal with this?
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:49   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Fending off Pilings

I don't think you need 2 x 4" but a pair of boards are very useful. Ours are 1x5" about 4 foot long and were formerly off a pontoon decking so some form of hardwood. If you don't have room in the cockpit locker then tie them on the rails out of the way.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post
Many docks seem to have pilings to tie up to. My powerboat has a heavy-duty rub rail so it's manageable. But my sailboat has no rub rail, and is marginally too small to carry 2x4 boards to lower across my fenders. What's the best way to deal with this?
There are several ways, and they all have their issues...

Fender boards are the best, but as you point out they can be a pain to store on a smaller boat.

There are fenders with gromments on both ends, but if they are big enough to give reasonable protection they also get to be hard to store on a smaller boat.

There are some long inflatable fenders that work great for tying along pilings, but they can be expensive. Easy to store, but need to be inflated for use.

All in all, on a boat like yours, I'd probably stow a couple fender boards along a berth. Four or five feet is plenty long enough.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:54   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

When it comes to fender boards the longer the better if you are tying up for any period of time where tide/water level is an issue and you can’t constantly adjust your spring lines.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:43   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have seen real heavy gauge PVC pipe used effectively, and it doesn’t look nearly as bad tied to the rails as my 2x6 boards would.
I think I’m going to give the PVC a try
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 13:11   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Treble Plink,

Most berths can accommodate fender boards stored under the mattresses, so storing them shouldn't be too difficult, and the lines for handing them will just go alongside the timber portion. I think they're your best bet for protecting the boat from piles, especially if there is a big tidal range.

When you tie up, spring the boat both fore and aft (foreward cleat to aft pile, aft cleat to forward pile, so that the springs keep you located where you want to be on the pile where the board is. You can use a breast line to pull her in, for getting on and off, and if necessary, we've used a kedge anchor to hold us off. Old timber wharves can have the oddest bits of metal sticking out of them!

If there's a sea ladder, you may want an extra fender by it, as well.

Ann
Old 12-05-2018, 16:38   #7

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

As always, great advice! Thank you all.

Chris
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 17:13   #8

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Here is a thread that discusses some more options, and some of those in details:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-195247.html
Old 15-06-2018, 13:51   #9

For years I tried to tie fenders horizontally to protect from pilings, but as the tide and current change the boat always shifts so the fender gets caught and the boat rubs on the piling. I finally learned that fender boards are necessary. By the way stout fender boards are an imperative in preparing for a storm.
mikesailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 21:48   #10

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Yes, use the longest fender boards you can. Measure up a bunk and make a set that fit precisely under the mattress, which means you’ll have three or four and they’ll be at least 6 feet long. When you need them you’ll be very glad you have them.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote