Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 22:04   #61

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Courtesy Flags

Right to left: Canadian (courtesy) flag, British Columbia (provincial) courtesy flag, fueling signal, keep-clear signal, and private flag.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:01   #62
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Great , but where do you hank on the Jib, and its look like marina fees might be fairly large.

Seriously regional courtesy flags should never be flown from the starboard side , fly anything you like on the port side.

dave
Old 02-01-2014, 08:53   #63

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I've read in books that there is no legal requirement in the U.S. for courtesy flags, a quick internet search so far hasn't found a requirement. Do you have specifics as to which states or countries require courtesy flags?

I could see that local officials could harass you without having the law to back them up though.

It's not required in Canada, from:
Rules for Flying the Flag - Anthems and Symbols - Canadian Identity
Foreign vessels may fly the Canadian flag as a "courtesy flag" when they are berthed in a Canadian port. The flag then is customarily flown from the foremast.

RYA doesn't think it's a law, from:
Courtesy Flag | Boating Abroad | Information & Advice | RYA

It is customary, but not obligatory, when visiting the waters of another country,
Well, you may be right.
I'm a USA citizen, so the only knowledge of US courtesy flag regs I have comes from talking to foreign skippers.
In the Bahamas I have been instructed by officialdom to fly the Q flag until I've cleared in, then to lower it and fly the courtesy flag until the boat left the Bahamas.
The only other countries I've cleared into were the Turks & Caicos and the Dominican Republic. I followed the same procedure in both cases, and nobody said anything one way or the other.
Obviously my experience is limited, so if I'm wrong please accept my apologies.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:48   #64

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I landed at Gilbrator a couple of years ago. The dockhand, told us in no uncertain terms that the first thing we needed to do - before anything else, was hoist the british courtesy flag.

Later that day, I saw a notice on the harbor board, signed by the port captain, that any vessel not flying a british courtesy flag was to refused admittance to the harbor until said vessel had regained their manners and were showing the proper respect

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 20:05   #65
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Well, you may be right.
I'm a USA citizen, so the only knowledge of US courtesy flag regs I have comes from talking to foreign skippers.
In the Bahamas I have been instructed by officialdom to fly the Q flag until I've cleared in, then to lower it and fly the courtesy flag until the boat left the Bahamas.
The only other countries I've cleared into were the Turks & Caicos and the Dominican Republic. I followed the same procedure in both cases, and nobody said anything one way or the other.
Obviously my experience is limited, so if I'm wrong please accept my apologies.
Requesting " free practique" is a policy rarely adhered to these days. In most cases you have to go ashore to clear in , unlike the time you were cleared at sea. Hence these days , especially in the med. I fly the courtesy flag , once inside the territorial sea limit.

Dave
Old 02-01-2014, 20:51   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> Requesting " free practique" is a policy rarely adhered to these days. In most cases you have to go ashore to clear in , unlike the time you were cleared at sea. Hence these days , especially in the med. I fly the courtesy flag , once inside the territorial sea limit.

The Q flag is a requirement when entering Australia:

information for yachts travelling to australia - arrival

When you arrive in Australia, you must first call at a port of entry where Customs, Quarantine and Immigration formalities can be completed.

When entering Australian waters you are required to clearly display the International Pratique Q-flag (yellow). A further requirement is that the craft travels directly to an appointed boarding station.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 20:55   #67
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> Requesting " free practique" is a policy rarely adhered to these days. In most cases you have to go ashore to clear in , unlike the time you were cleared at sea. Hence these days , especially in the med. I fly the courtesy flag , once inside the territorial sea limit.

The Q flag is a requirement when entering Australia:

information for yachts travelling to australia - arrival

When you arrive in Australia, you must first call at a port of entry where Customs, Quarantine and Immigration formalities can be completed.

When entering Australian waters you are required to clearly display the International Pratique Q-flag (yellow). A further requirement is that the craft travels directly to an appointed boarding station.
I know , I said rarely adhered too, also rather then abandoned under law. Many countries have the requirement, but often as not over look the lack of a Q flag , less so the courtesy flag I find funnily enough.

Dave
Old 03-01-2014, 08:30   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitsthebill View Post
If I see a pirate flag I am thinking delusional doper or too immature to be on the water. Flags are a serious matter and confiscation a way of gathering revenue so if you want a laugh think of it as the last laugh on YOU….
Perhaps your just annoyed they are ahead of you round the buoys ....

Old 03-01-2014, 08:31   #69

and before anyone says it, yes, I know that they are on the wrong spreader and that's the wrong British flag........
Old 03-01-2014, 09:49   #70
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
and before anyone says it, yes, I know that they are on the wrong spreader and that's the wrong British flag........
serious breach of maritime ensign rules going on there. given the flag below it , I presume its to be expected

The spreader is correct the starboard is considered superior to the port.

dave

Tags
flags