Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 14:15   #1

Comer Comet 460 1989 (Single Handed?)

Hello,

I've just joined the site and I would like to tap into the wealth of knowledge from the contributors here.

I am thinking of buying a Comar Comet 460.

1989 Comet 460 [YF13700] Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Not that exact one but one similar which is not currently being advertised online. I would hope to travel extensively with her in stages over a period of years. For the most part with friends and family for coastal hops but I would like the option of doing ocean crossings alone and I am here to gauge the suitability of this yacht for such activity.

Its seems quite large for single handed sailing but most of time it would be crewed so I want a certain level of comfort for that. I may also live on the yacht alone for extended periods so the large fwd cabin is very appealing. I have looked around extensively for yachts in this size and price range (€70k) and there are lots of plastics fantastics about for that price, Bavs, Benes etc... which are generally ex charter yachts. I know the Comet is also plastic but in my experience yachts built in that generation were much more solid than their modern counter parts.

I have noted the large centre steering wheel which is perhaps not ideal for tending to the sheets when singe handed sailing. Is there anything else that stands out to you which might make single handed sailing more difficult in a yacht like this?

A note on my experience: I am a 35 year old Super (Motor) Yacht Captain, with a Class 1 Master Mariner Unlimited CoC. I sailed dinghies throughout my childhood and joined the Merchant Navy on leaving school. I worked my way through the ranks and joined the professional yachting industry over ten years ago. I have sailed as Captain on motor yachts from 165ft to 440ft in length. I took a year out several years ago and worked as a Flotilla Skipper running a fleet of 10 x 36ft Benes in the Med for 9 months which I guess would be the most relevant experience of all the I have described so far.

I have done some very short hops single handed on 36ft yachts and must have parked this size yacht a thousand times during my days as a flotilla skipper.

I respect the sea and I avoid bad weather when I can.

Considering all of the above I would like to hear from any of you with the relevant experience and knowledge if my plan to sail this yacht single handed is viable.

I love the sea and I am at a cross roads in my life, the desire to sail off into the sunset is strong.

Vasco
VascoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:47   #2

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Comer Comet 460 1989 (Single Handed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VascoBlue View Post
Hello,

I've just joined the site and I would like to tap into the wealth of knowledge from the contributors here.

I am thinking of buying a Comar Comet 460.

1989 Comet 460 [YF13700] Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Not that exact one but one similar which is not currently being advertised online. I would hope to travel extensively with her in stages over a period of years. For the most part with friends and family for coastal hops but I would like the option of doing ocean crossings alone and I am here to gauge the suitability of this yacht for such activity.

Its seems quite large for single handed sailing but most of time it would be crewed so I want a certain level of comfort for that. I may also live on the yacht alone for extended periods so the large fwd cabin is very appealing. I have looked around extensively for yachts in this size and price range (€70k) and there are lots of plastics fantastics about for that price, Bavs, Benes etc... which are generally ex charter yachts. I know the Comet is also plastic but in my experience yachts built in that generation were much more solid than their modern counter parts.

I have noted the large centre steering wheel which is perhaps not ideal for tending to the sheets when singe handed sailing. Is there anything else that stands out to you which might make single handed sailing more difficult in a yacht like this?

A note on my experience: I am a 35 year old Super (Motor) Yacht Captain, with a Class 1 Master Mariner Unlimited CoC. I sailed dinghies throughout my childhood and joined the Merchant Navy on leaving school. I worked my way through the ranks and joined the professional yachting industry over ten years ago. I have sailed as Captain on motor yachts from 165ft to 440ft in length. I took a year out several years ago and worked as a Flotilla Skipper running a fleet of 10 x 36ft Benes in the Med for 9 months which I guess would be the most relevant experience of all the I have described so far.

I have done some very short hops single handed on 36ft yachts and must have parked this size yacht a thousand times during my days as a flotilla skipper.

I respect the sea and I avoid bad weather when I can.

Considering all of the above I would like to hear from any of you with the relevant experience and knowledge if my plan to sail this yacht single handed is viable.

I love the sea and I am at a cross roads in my life, the desire to sail off into the sunset is strong.

Vasco
Hi,
I have a Comet 41s, a more recent but also more powerful sailboat (more nervous) and I have not trouble sailing it alone. Of course, a boat with the winches nearer the steering wheel and a two wheel set up is better for solo sailing but the wheel on mine is even bigger than on the 460 and I am over 60 years' old.

The truck here, with fast boats is not sailing them to their potential, but above, in a way that the auto pilot can do all the work while you do what has to be done with the winches. Have a look:

If the boat is this stable on the autopilot you only need to have one with tack function and most if not all have it.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:32   #3

Thanks for the reply and video. Its great.

What year is your Comet?

Can you tell me a bit about the general build quality?

Are you using original spars?
VascoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:38   #4

Boat: Comet 41s

The boat is from 2007 and the model is still in production.

I can only say good things about the boat. I was rammed at speed by a 55T motorboat while at anchor, I thought that the boat would be holed, but the damage was minimal.

Yes I use not only original pieces as the guys that maintain the boat are the guys from Comar, or at least the guys that make maintenance for them and surprisingly it is not that expensive, for Italy.

I have the boat during the winter on that shipyard in Fiumicino and on the summertime and summer I sail all over the med, mostly Italy, Greece and Turkey.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single