Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 23:29   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Yacht rolled onto her side

This youtube clip hasn't had many views (21,000 or so) so there's a good chance you haven't seen it yet.

A monohull yacht with no sails up, entering a harbour under power, and getting laid on her side by a breaking wave. The top of the mast goes under and four people ended up in the water when she righted herself. All were rescued.

Scary stuff and a lesson to stay clipped in.

I'd like to know where this harbour is so that I can avoid it if there's any swell.

Bryan.
BRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:51   #2

Boat: Sandibar 35
Re: Yacht rolled onto her side

Wow. We don't get conditions like that here. Good reminder of cross checking port entry conditions with wind/swell in advance from a pilot book or such. Glad all made it out of the water safely.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:07   #3

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

Worth watching and remembering what can happen when we think we are reaching safety.
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:29   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRob View Post

I'd like to know where this harbour is so that I can avoid it if there's any swell.

Bryan.
It is on the Southwest coast of France. The event was discussed ad nauseam hereabouts a few years ago.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:41   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yacht rolled onto her side

Caught completely off Guard...!!
"That's it Lads.. we're in.. next stop the 'Tiki Bar'..!!"
Then Bang..!!! happens at least once a year here in Fig with the sandbars.. its not 'safe' till the lines are on the pontoon.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:16   #6

This estuary is obviously in hazardous conditions and they tried to surf in, but why? low tide?

boat beam on to surf sea, yuk
crew improperly or not secured at all. It might have been better if they were all in the cockpit, and secured

It may have been telephoto lens compression but it looked quite close to rocks perhaps the prop got damaged, but attempts at rescue despite the presence of an on board inflatable seemed feeble to non existent.

At least as it seems the crew were wearing buoyancy.
Any landing you walk away from as they say
Old 01-02-2016, 08:21   #7

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

Can anyone see what their mistake was. Besides obviously, coming in at the wrong time? Maybe a little throttle would have helped or too much weight in the lazerette?The wave doesn't look that big.
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:24   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

The skipper looks like he got the timing of the wave sets slightly wrong and was trying to nip around the protective breakwater when he got hit from side and back. Didn't quite look like they were fully prepared for worst case scenario - not even a lifering thrown.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Can anyone see what their mistake was. Besides obviously, coming in at the wrong time? Maybe a little throttle would have helped or too much weight in the lazerette?The wave doesn't look that big.
I think they ponced around so much they didnt count on, or weren't aware of that 1 in 7 that knocked them over. Had they had the power on it might have been different yes. Like all 'accidents' its the accumulation of errors, each in themselves not particularly life threatening, but together...
Old 01-02-2016, 08:42   #10
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

This is an old video that was commented quite heavily in a past thread. Wish I could find it.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:49   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
It might have been better if they were all in the cockpit, and secured
Amazingly, one guy on the bow hung on, and another bow person in red jacket scrambled to the mast right as the wave was overtaking and that person hung on too. It looks like the boat had 6 or 7 people and most of the cockpit people were the ones who got dumped. The mast is a pretty good place to be actually.

Interesting to see how long the rescue took (and wasn't completed by the sailboat). I got nervous when the powerboat drove upwave of the MOBs. A lifesling would've really helped.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
Amazingly, one guy on the bow hung on, and another bow person in red jacket scrambled to the mast right as the wave was overtaking and that person hung on too. It looks like the boat had 6 or 7 people and most of the cockpit people were the ones who got dumped. The mast is a pretty good place to be actually.

Interesting to see how long the rescue took (and wasn't completed by the sailboat). I got nervous when the powerboat drove upwave of the MOBs. A lifesling would've really helped.
yes there was that too
Rescuers put themselves into a situation were they were pushed by the current onto the stricken sailors, when its better to be the other way around. But then this small boat needed power to maintain any position, and this appeared to be the way they were trying to board people from the water too. Too easy to lose a limb on the screw.

Without a scrambling net (which in truth aren't seen around anymore) I would have hoped they had time to get one of those horseshoe liferings deployed from off the yacht and perhaps use that from a position of more safety.

This is all in hindsight of course where it really is easier, but there seemed to be an absence of any alternate plan other than the brutish 'get people aboard'.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:29   #13

Almost any inlet will occasionally get big surf. Ala Wai harbor gets closed out sometimes; and about fifteen years ago a solo sailor got his boat tumbled coming into the harbor. Interestingly he got thrown overboard and then got washed back into the boat(you can find it on youtube). When swells are running, especially over a bar, waiting is a better policy. Also that boat's stern did not help matters. It scoops up tons of water that will throw the boat sideways and down. Better a canoe stern. About 30 years ago saw a Hans Christian going over the Columbus River Bar, surfing among 40 foot rollers. But the guy also knew what he was doing. Certainly had a crowd of onlookers.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Also that boat's stern did not help matters.
The open transom forms of present generation boats that are considered cruiser racers or racer wannabees would be frightful. But I guess at least the thing would drain quickly.

They absolutely depend on hatches being buttoned up and crew shackled in, we know already how that worked out here.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:40   #15

I remember seeing that one a couple years ago. Hard to figure what he is doing, evidently shallow? Then he is over near the rocks/breakwater or something...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht