Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2009, 08:58   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
Send a message via AIM to Whispering Star
Cart Before Horse ?

We are in neogations for our boat. Pretty confindent it will go through.
My query is: We will do the proper schooling, but we want to learn on our boat. How can we manage this? Pretty much I need/want/desire step by step instruction.
Whispering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 09:32   #2

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
A few years back, we were in the same boat ... we were able to talk the instructor into conducting lessons on our boat. In our case he wanted at least 4 students (2 couples), so 2 friends joined my wife and me for the lessons. You may want to contact the schools in your area to determine if this is an option.

Don't discount local parks & rec programs where they contract with experienced instructors.... we were able to get a top-notch instructor with the classes through recognized school at a reduced cost. And done on our boat.

Congratulations on the new boat!!
Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 09:38   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I do think you are placing the cart before the horse.

Although it may be too late, learn to sail first. The reason is you will be much more educated about the type of boat that best suits you. You may find out that the boat that interests you now is not really what you want. Its pretty analogous to never test driving the car you are about to buy...nor test driving any other cars. But to test drive, you already have to know how to drive. Learn to drive first, then go test those cars...lots of cars, and then buy the one that you like best.

Good sailing schools have boats that are appropriate for learning. You will start out with a relatively small and simple boat. As your skill level increases you will be placed aboard larger and more sophisticated boats. After you are competent enough, you will be able to charter a great number of different boats. Sailing different boats before you buy really is the only way of discovering what you really prefer.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 10:31   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
There are ways, The best way is to get a captain to come aboard and show you guys the ropes, I know some locals if you don't. Also your neighbors at the marina will be very helpful, you will be ok, you can do this
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 11:43   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Whispering,
There have been many sailors who have done it in the sequence you have. There is no right or wrong answer. To learn your boat you don't need to have a licensed ASA or USSailing or other sailing instructor. There might be some old retirement age Captains around the clubhouse or marina that wouldn't mind spending the time to acquaint you with some of the intricacies of sailing that aren't that easy to spot right off or learn in "Start Sailing Right!" All sailing theories have been discussed in many books and you can apply them all to your "new" boat. Your boat's systems will probably be just a bit different than others in your marina but your neighbors can help you sort things out.
I think courses as they are designed by the many sailing schools are wonderful but they are not absolutely necessary.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 14:57   #6

Boat: Vagabond 42
Send a message via AIM to Whispering Star
Hide sight is always 20-20. But this is where we are and dealing with our decisions will have to be our heaven or hell. I believe it will be the former. I'll check out the schools in the area and the old fart retirement clubhouse/marina. I bet we can find the right person/persons to help us along in this endeavor. This forum is a great source for me. It gives me the ideas and reference material to get were we need to get. Thank you all for your input.
Whispering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 16:52   #7

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Why did you buy a sailboat?
To sail on weekends?
To escape the "Real World" and go cruising for a number of years?
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 22:06   #8

Boat: C&C 34
Start small

Learn the basics of sailing to sail on the smallest boat you can. You will learn much more about the immediate effects of small changes of sail trim. You will be a much better sailor for it. If you learn on a boat that can capsize, all the better. get out there and do a couple of capsize drills. The boat you buy may have a lead keel but you learn so much more about the the basics on a dingy. Learn about the limits you can reach by taking a boat past the limits. Learn the basics on a dingy and transfer the knowledge to your own boat with an experienced freind or fellow club member. Perhaps you can even get your small boat instructor to h3elp you out after your first course.

Follow it and you will thank me for this advice.
ARGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 22:56   #9

Take a sailng course conducted in a small keelboat. That wll be of value no matter what. Then hire your sailing instructor to give you private tutorials on your boat.
Old 14-07-2010, 17:31   #10

Boat: rhodes,seafarer,28
Listen to all the advice these folks are giving you.I am a sailing instructor and have used asa and us sailing courses.They are both ok but are always taught too quickly and the student cant absorb the information so that they retain it.I recomend you find someone who has the knowledge,time and patience to start you out on a little boat and work up to larger vessels gradually.You can be learning about the cruising lifestile at the same time.It wont interfere with your sailing lessons since you are using a different part of your brain.
capt.bobfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 17:40   #11

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGold View Post
Learn the basics of sailing to sail on the smallest boat you can. You will learn much more about the immediate effects of small changes of sail trim. You will be a much better sailor for it. If you learn on a boat that can capsize, all the better. get out there and do a couple of capsize drills. The boat you buy may have a lead keel but you learn so much more about the the basics on a dingy. Learn about the limits you can reach by taking a boat past the limits. Learn the basics on a dingy and transfer the knowledge to your own boat with an experienced freind or fellow club member. Perhaps you can even get your small boat instructor to h3elp you out after your first course.
This is very good advice. I 'learned the ropes' on 38ft boat and after about 10 years I thought I was fairly competant. Then I bought a small sportsboat and started to learn how to sail.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 17:43   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Sorry I'm not in your area. I could be the old fart skipper to help you out. I too have taught sailing for many many years and there is no "real right way." There is "your way" to learn.
Good luck.
kind regards,
Old 14-07-2010, 17:50   #13

There is much more to learn than how to sail. I would suggest that the first thing to learn is the basic rules of the road. Knowing these will keep you safe when on the water learning to sail.
Old 14-07-2010, 19:14   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I agree with most that a 42 foot boat is a lot of boat to learn on.

I would recommend a smaller keelboat course as well. Follow that with a flyer on the signboard at your marina -

"Boating couple looking for experienced sailor/teacher. 40+ keelboat experienced a must"

I would post contact details but no too much info - you may attract some creepie crawlies.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 19:41   #15

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Star View Post
Hide sight is always 20-20. But this is where we are and dealing with our decisions will have to be our heaven or hell. I believe it will be the former. I'll check out the schools in the area and the old fart retirement clubhouse/marina. I bet we can find the right person/persons to help us along in this endeavor. This forum is a great source for me. It gives me the ideas and reference material to get were we need to get. Thank you all for your input.
Sounds like you asked the question a little too late for most of the responses you got. I did too. It worked out for me, but I can see the risk in it now, all these years later.

I did pick up along the way that learning to sail a dink is very helpful and fun and. Said it many times. Would you want to learn to drive in an 18 wheeler of a VW?