Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2010, 06:19   #1

Best Time to Sail from Morehead City to St John ?

My ex and my young son is sailing to the Caribbean before Christmas with less than the best crew. How late is too late? I sailed there with him in December '87 and it was frankly, a bit miserable. I want my son to have an adventure but the date of departure is creeping closer to Christmas.
MegJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 06:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegJones View Post
My ex and my young son is sailing to the Caribbean before Christmas with less than the best crew. How late is too late? I sailed there with him in December '87 and it was frankly, a bit miserable. I want my son to have an adventure but the date of departure is creeping closer to Christmas.
It all depends on the route.... inshore you've the option of the ICW for those crappy days but.... then you've a bash into winds and currents at the bottom...
Anytime...
Offshore.... clear the Stream and head for Bermuda then run down to the VI's..
January - April can be a bit wet n wild... sometimes

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 06:34   #3

He's planning on sailing across the gulf stream south of Bermuda and then south to the Virgin Islands. The boat is a good foul weather boat with good equipment but I'm just a bit worried. Thanks for replying. Meg
Old 18-11-2010, 06:38   #4

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Just spoke to a couple who did this in December one year and said it was a great ride...I think it also depends on the year...and that is not always predictable...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 06:56   #5

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I've gone the first week of December and had a great ride. You need to start after a front passes, go east and pick up the trades South of Bermuda. See the Caribbean 1500 topic on this forum if you want to see how bad it can be.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 07:06   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
It can be a rough trip, especially if you get tangled up in a low going up the coast. Getting a good weather window is harder the later you leave, but not impossible. Its more important to wait for a good window the later you leave, as the fronts penetrate further south. We have typically left around the first week of December.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 07:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
I'll add my confirmation to Highheels, Donradcliffe, etc.

If you get a good break in the winter cold fronts then leaving US in December can be fine or it can be pretty bumpy, even in October. In case you don't understand the implications of the weather issues, a cold front on land usually brings stronger winds at sea.

The later you wait the cold fronts are usually more frequent, usually stronger and usually push further south. But as we all know, predicting exact weather conditions is inexact. Overall trends and averages sure but exactly how it goes one year to the next is variable.

Just watch the weather carefully and don't get impatient to leave to meet a schedule.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 07:57   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Just watch the weather carefully and don't get impatient to leave to meet a schedule.
Words of Wisdom indeed....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 08:40   #9

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Great advice...

...as it is all about the weather window AND not being tied to a schedule (or if tied to a schedule of some sort, you must have a "NO-GO" date).

Look into getting weather info from Chris Parker and if you have an SSB, getting in contact with Herb Hilgenburg (aka Southbound II).

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 05:37   #10

Thank you everyone for your experience. When we left in 87 we had a schedule to keep and that is NOT the way to do it! You have reassured me. Thanks again.
Happy Sailing
Old 19-11-2010, 11:43   #11

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober
Too early is hurricane season/ Too late is winter gale season.
Done it twice, got beat up both times. Make sure you understand how to plot hot n cold eddys. do not heave to in the stream, you may wind up in Newfoundland.
Leave on the back of a low. strong winds, but downwind. If you leave in nice weather and a low comes behind you, you will get headwinds . remember, wind goes towards the low!
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Morehead City