Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2018, 05:41   #136

Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

It didn't turn out so well for those young people but think of all their hopes and dreams that lead up to their misfortune. Youth always has this can do attitude that most older armchair sailors lost so long ago they can no longer remember. I think of all the stuff I pulled off when I was young and even I cringe realizing that I had actually got away with it. We all hate to see accidents and failure but we have to realize that failure is part of life's learning game. Give them a point for at least giving it a go.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:50   #137

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No sympathy for a couple of irresponsible idiots. The tax payers now have to pay to clean up their mess. It's people like this that give cruisers a bad name in Florida.
That's a bit harsh I'm thinking, especially with all the threads (on CF), books, and positive advice saying such things as Go Small, Go Now!!

It's endless. Just look at various threads on CF almost any day

Some plan to motor/sail down the ICW while others plan ocean crossing or to circumnavigate........and many have very little experience
Old 11-02-2018, 06:35   #138

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
So... what did she start with? What did she spend it on while on passage? On line gambling?
If I remember correctly they started with 70 Pounds, spend most of the money on food which you easily can find out yourself if you just read her book.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:48   #139
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

If you want to compare the hypocrisy read 'Aground on Elbow Cay' middle aged guy with home in PR and the mainland.. seriously bad decisions
Then read this thread young couple with the minimum of everything.. believing the marks their elders fail to maintain.
They can't win can they.. lazy stay at homers who want everything on a plate..
OR
Stupid little idiots who should have known better than to try sailing as a lifestyle.
Wonder how many here stepped straight from Crib and walked without falling a lot of times.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:50   #140

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
I was under the impression that when a keel falls off, the boat then becomes top heavy and tips right over until the mast hits the bottom.If it took a half hour to sink wouldn't a normal sailor pull the cover off the bilge and jam a rag in the hole to slow down or stop the water from flowing in. Plus look at all those catamarans running up on reefs lately. Everyone want's to enter new harbours at night for some strange reason. I don't like coming into my own harbour at night ,never mind a strange one.

It seems we're confusing two issues here. Regardless of their bad decision to enter the difficult pass under poor conditions, it's not at all uncommon to ground in the sand in Florida. They probably expected that would be a worst case scenario.

We are assuming the keel separated. Is it common during a survey to part the keel for inspection? Or loosen and re-torque the bolts? (I did do that much to mine - they are bolts-not studs - 4 stainless and 4 bronze)

This was a worrisome rare failure that will remind us that big bolts can corrode and fail.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:15   #141

Boat: Falmouth Cutter 22

I know of a man who made a mistake, grounded his boat and was quickly deported. Later he endured several knockdowns and another grounding.

https://youtu.be/Ptmn0L-LSqE
Benard Moitessier
Old 11-02-2018, 07:17   #142

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post
It seems we're confusing two issues here. Regardless of their bad decision to enter the difficult pass under poor conditions, it's not at all uncommon to ground in the sand in Florida. They probably expected that would be a worst case scenario.

We are assuming the keel separated. Is it common during a survey to part the keel for inspection? Or loosen and re-torque the bolts? (I did do that much to mine - they are bolts-not studs - 4 stainless and 4 bronze)

This was a worrisome rare failure that will remind us that big bolts can corrode and fail.
I think this is another reason for those new to sailing/boating with a draft to go with an old full keel boat with it's encapsulated keel.

You can bounce off the bottom quite a bit usually with little to no damage

Many of those old boats are quite overbuilt......
Old 11-02-2018, 07:33   #143

Boat: Grampian 30

I can't help admiring their Spunk and guts. They had a dream and chased it with everything they had! And had an incredible adventure that will be with them forever.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:34   #144

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=rudder.jpg Views: 202 Size: 73.2 KB ID: 163867" style="margin: 2px" />

Is that the rudder pictured, hard-over ?

The poor dog had to have been terrified. Pugs are not known to be good swimmers and some have been known to sink like a rock while trying to keep their snouts above water.

The GoFundMe page is up and running.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/10/couple...nken-sailboat/
Old 11-02-2018, 07:36   #145

Boat: Grampian 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If you want to compare the hypocrisy read 'Aground on Elbow Cay' middle aged guy with home in PR and the mainland.. seriously bad decisions
Then read this thread young couple with the minimum of everything.. believing the marks their elders fail to maintain.
They can't win can they.. lazy stay at homers who want everything on a plate..
OR
Stupid little idiots who should have known better than to try sailing as a lifestyle.
Wonder how many here stepped straight from Crib and walked without falling a lot of times.
Boatman, you got it right! Why are we so prone to jump on someone for making a crazy mistake instead of giving them credit for their effort and for giving it their all?
Old 11-02-2018, 07:37   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallowayuk View Post
hi, he had a rich dad paying, i believe he finished in a different boat , \after fire damage to dove , i saw dove in the virgin isands in the 80s, st thomas i think, a long while ago so not absolutely sure
actually no Robyn didn't he was paid by national geographic for part of the trip after the story of what he was doing was reported in his local newspaper.
It wasn't a fire that caused the change from the dove to dove two. It was due to storm damages.
If you want to get the story direct give him or a call. They live near Missoula Montana.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:37   #147

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
they seem like nice people perhaps someone can donate them another boat.
They can fly to St Marteen , lots of bargains ,,, I see a Beneteau Oceanis 50 FT 2016 with a asking price of 40000 US ; no damage in hull; just mast gone and few things in the deck,
Old 11-02-2018, 07:48   #148

Boat: Falmouth Cutter 22

We hove to offshore in regional waters at the time of the tragedy. A low forcast around noon the next day came early with a cold rain and force 5 gusts. Heavy fog throughout that tragic night offshore and well into the morning. After sunrise and lifting of fog we took East pass near Destin and anchored through the storm in Choctawatchee bay.

Reading the newspaper article reminded me of a slogan seen on an automobile brake shop... 'Don't go unless you can stop'. Aboard Lagniappe (we share the same namesake btw) that means 'Don't go unless you can heave-to'. I can imagine the fear of building sea, a moderate low bearing down, and not well versed in heaving-to, because I've personally been in that situation too many times.

Consider this mishap a seatrial, and a successful one at that.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:57   #149

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

Click image for larger version

Name:	keelfail.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	163871

Aboard after impact.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:59   #150
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Nothing about the keel falling off.. think they just hit bottom and were turned beam on and capsized by waves as they were pushed up the bank..
Nearly happened to me at Beaufort Inlet in '04 after 14days hand steering back from N of Bermuda.. misread the lights against the back drop of land and nearly went up a shallow dead end channel N of the main entrance.
Realised my mistake just as the keel kissed and managed to spin the boat round and sail off..
Before my laptop nav program days.. just HH GPS and paper charts.. the bludi fish swimming under my sounder for a while giving depths of 3ft 6ft 9ft did not help either..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size