Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 04:21   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Sad story, but at least they sank in sight of land.
This is a perfect example of the type of people who learn everything they think they need to know from the internet, then set off to go "cruising" with absolutely no experience or money. Sailing in the real world is not a video game, the oceans of the world are an extremely unforgiving teacher.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:44   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Waaay too much speculation here. In reality all we know is what the new report says and I long ago realized these things are seldom accurate.

I find that most folks, not sailors, general population have about zero idea of how the world works. I mean physically. Many folks can’t master a hammer or screwdriver.

He is 26 and worked selling timeshares. How does that prepare you for dealing with reality?

I think that we sailors, in general, have a far better appreciation of reality, how stuff works, the consequences of when it does not, than the average Joe or Jane. May be different in the third world where things are hard scrabble.

If I were in a survival situation and could pick a buddy it would be a commercial fisherman or a small dairy farmer. Tough as nails and they live survival. A time share salesman, stock broker, grade school teacher, accountant, MBA? Not so much.

My guess is 95% of the American population would fare no better than this couple, if as well. At least they had a dream.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:04   #33

(Amazed at how some can pivot this story into an anti-government rant. )

The kindest thing I can say is that they weren't ready for this voyage.

If you lose/dislodge your keel on a sandbar... this wasn't a setback, it was a blessing; a greater power spared them from losing it somewhere where rescue is further away.

And the "they lost everything" slant of the article is a bit much. If you're in your mid 20s, healthy, in a relationship, and with family and friends to help out... you have more (of what counts) than the richest retiree. Work some, get some real sailing experience, try again in a few years.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:20   #34

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yeah they had a good rep, those 28s, but it is an old boat so the bolts should have been replaced.
But I am curious about the "lost everything" .. and the "no savings, no job..." what were they panning to live off of?
YouTube maybe? 😆
Old 10-02-2018, 05:24   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Amazing isn't it, makes me wonder if I am doing it right driving a desk all day so I have a house to retire in.

They do have some assets, the Pug is probably worth $1000.

The press article says this:

Waves rolled the sailboat. It dipped from side-to-side, almost going under. Broadwell realized the keel had been ripped off the bottom.

Water started to leak into the cabin.......Walsh dialed Sea Tow,

"They said they would be there in 40 minutes. I thought ‘That is a long time to spend out here.’"

Walsh ran into the flooded cabin and grabbed what little she could. The crash had thrown their things onto the floor. Now their stuff was floating.

I think the keel is still attached to the boat.

Pete
Per the story the impact nearly threw one off the deck and tossed their belongings below....coming in a wee bit hot it sounds like.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:31   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
It really makes me grateful that I don't have any keelbolts or keel for that matter.
So your grateful to not have a boat?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:36   #37

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
In the few times I've been there I've never seen fog, and ....
For what it's worth, I was there that night, anchored just inside the pads and it was super dense. And it was foggy again this morning just a few miles north.

I agree that these two were likely underprepared for their voyage, but I consider also that it sounds like they were trying to learn, hands-on, by working on the boat in the yard and taking an albeit brief apprenticeship of sorts with his father on the water.

Coming in later than anticiated, especially as a new sailor somewhat unfamiliar with the boat, is understandable. And the markers are simply out of place in John's Pass.

So I agree that they made mistakes, but I credit them for trying. There is a serious lack of 20-40 year old cruisers out there and it breaks my heart a bit to see their dream dashed by understandable mistakes and the vagaries of storm-shoaling.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:37   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Per the story the impact nearly threw one off the deck and tossed their belongings below....coming in a wee bit hot it sounds like.
Kinda hard to control ones speed riding a wave over a bar.. also wave action will decrease charted depth in the troughs.. its a tricky thing to judge which wave in the set to ride in..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:40   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Kinda hard to control ones speed riding a wave over a bar.. also wave action will decrease charted depth in the troughs.. its a tricky thing to judge which wave it the set to ride in..
Even in the day light!
Old 10-02-2018, 05:48   #40

Well I guess it's easy to pile on the criticism. They obviously made some mistakes. They lost 5-10k. That sucks yes, but recoverable especially in your 20's. They def watch themselves some youtube videos. She is sporting a La Vaga shirt. Maybe while the government is out there lifting the boat they can place the proper markers even if temporary.

My advise to them is be more grateful, you have your dog and each other. You didn't lose nearly everything and I am happy that is the case.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:22   #41

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
"The red and green buoys seemed out of place."

Indeed, at the mouth of the pass, they are. After some shoaling issues, some markers were replaced or moved, leading to one "green right returning" marker in the approach to the pass. This never should have been attempted in the dark. The couple was lucky, and if they don't already share that perspective, I hope they visit the memorial in John's Pass Village to the long list of sailors who've lost their lives in these waters. They have their lives, and they have each other; boats can be replaced, or remembered.
I looked at the chart viewer and thought it was totally sketchy. Chart 11411
The dredged channel clearly does not jibe with the markers.

That would have been one of those entrances that would have merited a call to sea-tow beforehand to seek local knowledge.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:52   #42

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

And note "G" says the controlling depth is 4 feet outside the bridge.

How can a sailboat navigate that except at high tide in calm water, let alone at night in fog?
Old 10-02-2018, 06:57   #43

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Wait, let me get this right. You shouldn't learn to sail on YouTube only?
Old 10-02-2018, 07:02   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Newhaul I am pretty sure the Titanic had a long keel and was tough as nails!
But seriously this raises an interesting issue regarding keel bolts and their age? Just what is the lifespan of keel bolts and how can you easily tell their condition? As a surveyor I look for obvious signs like cracking in the keel hull join and the condition of the nuts and washers on the inside. But as for what is buried inside structural members it is anyone's guess. I can only imagine there will be more keel failures as our sailing fleet ages.
Cheers
The Titanic had a flat bottom and no keel whatsoever.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:07   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post

But seriously this raises an interesting issue regarding keel bolts and their age? Just what is the lifespan of keel bolts and how can you easily tell their condition? As a surveyor I look for obvious signs like cracking in the keel hull join and the condition of the nuts and washers on the inside. But as for what is buried inside structural members it is anyone's guess. I can only imagine there will be more keel failures as our sailing fleet ages.

Cheers

It’s something of a catch 22. I had the 30 yr old chainplates cut out of my IP, cause the expected life is 15 yrs, to find them in very good condition. However the amount of work required to remove them, made reinstalling them foolish.
If I had real old keel bolts, they are being replaced, cause you really cannot tell the condition of material from just a visual inspection, there are forms of corrosion and aging that just are not detectable visually, or from dye penetrant either.
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size