Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 09:53   #241

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

From the horse's mouth, so to speak...

Old 12-02-2018, 10:22   #242

As of the moment, they've raised $12,741.

With some friendly news coverage and a couple of YouTube videos, the world is your oyster.

They seem like a nice couple, though inexperienced sailors.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:38   #243

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Some have alluded to the fact that the channel markers were incorrect for the channel or the channel had barred. Is there any insight into this issue from people who live in that area?
Old 12-02-2018, 10:56   #244

Boat: Scout 30

Sailing in Florida = running aground in Florida, especially on the west coast. You may not get stuck & most of the time it's not a big deal but it can be & it can happen to anyone no matter perfect you think you are. After watching the video I think they were listing so far over after running aground that the waves filled up the boat. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback but without some bad luck here this has a completely different outcome.

Regarding helping people out that are down on their luck, there's a long history of charity in this country. It didn't start with the internet.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:18   #245

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
Good on you amigo, nobody faults you for being successful. Now with all the money you saved try purchasing back your youth and vitality. When that finally sinks in you will begin to understand. Don't get caught in that false Left/Right paradigm, just be nice. Do unto others...and all that.
If the thanks button were showing up on my iPad I would send you both a thanks for your comments.
I too do not have a lot of sympathy for this young couple for heading out without first getting the knowledge needed for their adventure, but that being said, I do have empathy for their difficulties and though I will not send them money, I would lend them a hand in anyway I could if I were close by.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 12-02-2018, 11:24   #246

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmagistro View Post
I think in the contentious photo their boat isn't beached, just floating in somewhat murky water.

To me it looks like it is on the outside bend of a channel where there is a sudden 'drop off' a few feet out from the water's edge.....
Old 12-02-2018, 11:34   #247
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just watched the podcast video posted up above.

At 10:28 point in the video, the boat owner says when they struck the shoal, the boat was motoring and was "glassy, no wind, going 2-3 knots..."and that the boat was up on the shoal in about 3 feet of water. he says he thinks he struck an object. The podcast narrator/host mentions suspected keel bolts.

The most frequently seen photo (showing the boat on its side) was taken later.
________

Has anyone seen the bottom of the hull?
Has it been visually confirmed that the keel actually fell off?
Or was the boat simply grounded, and the cockpit and cabin filled later by waves as the boat lay on its side, as most boats do when grounded in shallow water?
Old 12-02-2018, 11:40   #248

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Done already anonymously. Did I make you feel bad for you to lash out? I hope I changed your negative outlook on the unfortunate. "build your enemy a golden bridge to retreat across" Sun Tzu.
Good on you Tim. Between you and I they raised $100. To either line their pockets or maybe actually use to remove the boat.

And as to your quote "build your enemy a golden bridge to retreat across" Sun Tzu

I leave you with...

"and once the bastards get half way across the bridge, blow em the hell up!" General George Patton.

Semper Fi baby!

Old 12-02-2018, 11:40   #249

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
From the horse's mouth, so to speak...

5 seconds in I am sure I can see the trailing edge of the keel... right where it should be...
Old 12-02-2018, 11:56   #250
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Good on you amigo, nobody faults you for being successful. Now with all the money you saved try purchasing back your youth and vitality. When that finally sinks in you will begin to understand. Don't get caught in that false Left/Right paradigm, just be nice. Do unto others...and all that.
I'm 66 now and retired at 42 but got bored and went back to school to start another career. I can honestly say that every day has been a joy and I consider very few of those days ...."work". I have not missed a thing. Below are the sign off comments on my emails. I live by those.....

Be the man Sharon thinks I am - wg
I can do that - wg
Be the master of your own disaster - wg
If you're not laughing, you're not doing it right. - wg
if you can live with the consequences, go for it.
I yam what I yam an' thats all that I yam. - Popeye
As God is my witness, I thought turkey's could fly. - Mr.C
Old 12-02-2018, 12:03   #251

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I'm 66 now and retired at 42 but got bored and went back to school to start another career. I can honestly say that every day has been a joy and I consider very few of those days ...."work". I have not missed a thing. Below are the sign off comments on my emails. I live by those.....

Be the man Sharon thinks I am - wg
I can do that - wg
Be the master of your own disaster - wg
If you're not laughing, you're not doing it right. - wg
if you can live with the consequences, go for it.
I yam what I yam an' thats all that I yam. - Popeye
As God is my witness, I thought turkey's could fly. - Mr.C
Old 12-02-2018, 12:27   #252

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Deja Vu? So far this couple seems to have gotten away with it.

Young Kiwi couple who sailed off with no experience at all - MySailing.com.au
Old 12-02-2018, 12:42   #253

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

They made an error, suffered the consequences, and plan to return to sailing. They didn't endanger anyone else, they didn't even use up the resources of the CG and instead called sea tow. So why all the negativity? They're not asking for anything from anyone, FYI. This is precisely the sort of adventures and mistakes you're supposed to make when you're in your 20s. Good for them for being brave and persistent enough to chase a dream; how many people take it to their graves?
Old 12-02-2018, 12:54   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
They made an error, suffered the consequences, and plan to return to sailing. They didn't endanger anyone else, they didn't even use up the resources of the CG and instead called sea tow. So why all the negativity? They're not asking for anything from anyone, FYI. This is precisely the sort of adventures and mistakes you're supposed to make when you're in your 20s. Good for them for being brave and persistent enough to chase a dream; how many people take it to their graves?

Actually, they did ask for money. Not in a heavy-handed way, but I think that's the source of the negativity. It's like a kid who wrecks his car and asks his parents (or in this case, the community) to pay the damages. They're up to $13,221. Not bad considering their original boat cost them $5,000.
Old 12-02-2018, 13:00   #255
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Treble, they've already done a YoRube! video interview. The keel came off, the hull was not holed. So they said. There's no question about that. And also, since the unsecured wreck in still in the channel (as of last night anyway) no one is going to dive on that. If they were foolish enough to dive on a moving wreck in a channel, they'd still be arrested for diving in the channel.

Apparently no one taught them about keel bolts. This is one reason why I still tell people GET SOME BOOKS AND READ THEM. Because the classic boat books are well written, well curated, well edited, and they don't omit minor things like structural points. "Dad was teaching me how to sail" doesn't sound like it includes a day on keel bolt problems and inspections, does it? And it wouldn't have it, since it is just about "teach me to sail".

You know, like a combat pilot? You have a crew chief for that. All you do is abuse the aircraft. (In the chief's opinion.)
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size