Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2017, 07:04   #121

Boat: American Mariner 24'
Re: Anchor types and General questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Of all the things to skimp on, when we invest so much in our boats (even if cheap to purchase) I just can't understand why spending 300-400 on a great anchor is avoided. I'm not doubting that $200 may mean more to some than others, but when you divide it by the number of nights you spend at anchor and associated peace of mind...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The key to this statement is "number of nights you spend at anchor". In my situation that has been 0. We launch late Friday (in a lake), motor to slip, and tie up. We sail Saturday morning until about lunch and return to the slip to use head, eat etc... Then back out until right before dark, then back to slip. Repeat Sunday, but put the boat back on the trailer in the afternoon. I have only deployed the anchor once as a drill and learning experience. I know it's not a great sea fairing epic, but it is the best I have in AZ.

Now, I would continue to run with this old Danforth, save for I'm planning this 2 week trip to the Gulf of Mexico. Of those 2 weeks, I might have 5-6 days on the boat. The grounds for the trip is not sailing, so obligations to others. Of these 5-6 night I would like to spend 1-2 of these nights on the hook for the experience, but will have slip for the entire time I'm there. Then it will be back to the lake until god knows when.

Therefore, could I afford $400 for an anchor? Yeah, I probably can. Yet, how often will it be use? I can't foresee a lot of use. I wanted something better than what I have, but I'm not wanting spend $400 for something that might touch water a half of dozens times to hold long enough to visit an island and maybe a night or two. If I was blessed enough to live near open water or have the ability to sail for long durations, I would drop 400, 500 whatever on something that would be use on a regular basis.

I think after all of this I'm going with the 14lb delta, for the simple reason I found one local and I can lay my hands on it. However, we have a west marine in PHX and I will be down there next weekend, I might pick a WM scope anchor (thanks for that heads up). That would give me the delta and a scope.
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 07:32   #122

Boat: O'Day 28

Lots of us would just go with what you have. Don't over think this.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 08:21   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Lots of us would just go with what you have. Don't over think this.
I'm starting to get this.
Old 21-05-2017, 09:21   #124

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Another satisfied Mantus owner here. We have been anchored off of Vulcano, Italy the past three nights while winds gusted to 30. We also have a Fortress, a CQR, and a monster Luke as alternatives, but the Mantus is our primary.

Cheers!

Steve

Did not realize there were 7 pages of posts until now. Never mind, I'm sure the horse is dead.
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 09:17   #125

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post
The key to this statement is "number of nights you spend at anchor". In my situation that has been 0. We launch late Friday (in a lake), motor to slip, and tie up. We sail Saturday morning until about lunch and return to the slip to use head, eat etc... Then back out until right before dark, then back to slip. Repeat Sunday, but put the boat back on the trailer in the afternoon. I have only deployed the anchor once as a drill and learning experience. I know it's not a great sea fairing epic, but it is the best I have in AZ.

Now, I would continue to run with this old Danforth, save for I'm planning this 2 week trip to the Gulf of Mexico. Of those 2 weeks, I might have 5-6 days on the boat. The grounds for the trip is not sailing, so obligations to others. Of these 5-6 night I would like to spend 1-2 of these nights on the hook for the experience, but will have slip for the entire time I'm there. Then it will be back to the lake until god knows when.

Therefore, could I afford $400 for an anchor? Yeah, I probably can. Yet, how often will it be use? I can't foresee a lot of use. I wanted something better than what I have, but I'm not wanting spend $400 for something that might touch water a half of dozens times to hold long enough to visit an island and maybe a night or two. If I was blessed enough to live near open water or have the ability to sail for long durations, I would drop 400, 500 whatever on something that would be use on a regular basis.

I think after all of this I'm going with the 14lb delta, for the simple reason I found one local and I can lay my hands on it. However, we have a west marine in PHX and I will be down there next weekend, I might pick a WM scope anchor (thanks for that heads up). That would give me the delta and a scope.

Sure, good points, but when I saw size of your boat I realized it's a lot less. Get a mantus 13 lb anchor for $129. Will be much better than delta. Cant imagine it costs that much more that the delta or WM cheapie.

https://www.mantusanchors.com/produc...mantus-anchor/
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 09:59   #126

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Sure, good points, but when I saw size of your boat I realized it's a lot less. Get a mantus 13 lb anchor for $129. Will be much better than delta. Cant imagine it costs that much more that the delta or WM cheapie.

Good point.

I did not realize the Mantus 13 Lbs anchor was that cheap at $129.

It has a LIFETIME warranty.

Much better than the Real Rocna or the Rocna copy.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 10:08   #127

Of course you will get wide variation in opinions on anchors. In a straight pull in sand I'll take a Danforth every time. But they are hard to handle and don't do well in reversing winds or hard bottoms.
I would pass on the CQR. Although widely used decades ago, not many use them now. My experience is they can be hard to set, especially on certain bottoms. I could rely on mine taking 2 or 3 attempts when setting. I have rescued a couple boats dragging after a wind shift with CQR's also.
On the cheap the Delta would be a definite step up and sets nearly every time right away. They don't do well in a major wind shift, but it's unclear to me if any do or not.
If you have the $ get a new generation anchor. Some are reputed to do better in a wind shift.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 11:21   #128

Cue the couple of hard core CQR belivers.
Wait for it ...
Old 22-05-2017, 11:27   #129

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Another satisfied Mantus owner here. We have been anchored off of Vulcano, Italy the past three nights while winds gusted to 30. We also have a Fortress, a CQR, and a monster Luke as alternatives, but the Mantus is our primary.

Cheers!

Steve

Did not realize there were 7 pages of posts until now. Never mind, I'm sure the horse is dead.
Looks like he's still breathing. It's best to be sure.......
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 11:34   #130

Quote:

Still not dead. However, I did pick up that Delta, just because it was cheap and local.

However, I think this settles the matter. Delta will become the back up instead of the Danforth.
Old 22-05-2017, 11:42   #131

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/mantu...or--P017750647

$124 And it ships for free
Old 22-05-2017, 11:46   #132

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post
That Mantus 13 Lbs anchor would be a SWEET anchor for sure and its just a little more money than the Rocna copy.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 11:48   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Looks like he's still breathing. It's best to be sure.......
Did I call that or what?
Old 25-05-2017, 13:30   #134

Gotta luv the smartest guy on the forum, and maybe the world.

Edit: uh oh, Thommy deleted his post.
Old 25-05-2017, 13:50   #135

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Gotta luv the smartest guy on the forum, and maybe the world.
Hum.

Well, I try to study and what not. But my degree is in the "liberal arts!"

Work training electronics/computers......military

I have All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy to read on this trip plus something by Finder

I was just trying to point out that the old CQR still works even for a tired rusty sailor trying to do some distance.

It set on the first drop as usual with no back down. I cleated it and went below to start dinner and setup the computer. Depth is 7' when I dropped at low tide .....8' now

And, btw what a beautiful day! No boats in site.............wind is building. Shoot, looks like a storm. Damn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02020.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	148424   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02022.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	148425  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags