Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 06:33   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
re: Woohoo We did it!

good work, see ye in mexico when ye get here....i may still be refitting in mazatlan..hahahahahaha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:42   #17

Good luck with your new purchase, you have just made a life altering decision which can turn out many ways. I wish you all the best. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:54   #18

Boat: Nauticat 43

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I will continue to update and contribute.
Know whats weird? I dont have a boat list..............
I’ve attached a pic (I think)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	034E33D0-0FC0-4338-8111-ADDD44645E36.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	160009  
rbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:16   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrazil View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I will continue to update and contribute.
Know whats weird? I dont have a boat list..............
I’ve attached a pic (I think)
beautiful vessel I'm almost jealous.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:56   #20

Congratulations on your purchase! I think you will look back and be glad of the 2 years you have planned to sail close in. I expect you will enjoy your boat a lot.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:20   #21

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Congratulations!!! It's been a year (give or take a week) since I bought my Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409. It was such a thrilling experience and I've loved it ever since... other than some repairs here and there

Congrats again and fair winds!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:35   #22

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32
Re: Woohoo We did it!

Congratulations! May all things great and small fall in your favor. Your journey so far has been filled with preparation and attention to detail. Don't change a thing and you will do fine.

All the best,
Phillip
Old 06-12-2017, 10:27   #23

Congratulations! I love the pilothouse and the ones I looked at had steering and engine controls inside the pilothouse...very nice.....so few boats have that from what I've seen.
GARRYOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 22:07   #24

Nauticat 43 Tally Ho
Marina Bay Yacht Harbor
SF Bay

Time for an update from my last post. Holy moly a lots happened in two weeks! First, I researched surveyors in the area and opted for the one who would climb the masts to check the rigging instead of looking through binoculars. Second, I asked my new great friend and previous owner of Tally Ho which yard we should use for the haul out as he would be driving the boat. Third, I contacted said yard to schedule the haul out, to which they replied having only two days available in the upcoming two weeks. Yikes! Another call to the surveyor who was able to make one of the dates which happened to be a Tuesday at 7:30 am to coincide with high tide. 7:30 am in San Francisco is NOT the time to be driving! Anyway, we met Paul (new great friend) at his marina at 6:00 am (we got up at 4:00 am) and motored to the yard. The haul out went well, the survey even better. I shadowed the surveyor the entire time, waiting for a sigh, a groan, a subtle shake of the head, anything to stop me from doing this idiotic thing called buying a sailboat! Just kidding..... well....sort of.....He kept saying things looked good, really good. At 2:30, after the sea trial and dockside poking and prodding, he declared Tally Ho a fine vessel and in fine shape! Yikes again! Fast forward to Friday. With a big fat cashiers check in hand, Laura, my lovely wife, and I drove through the traffic again to have a sit down, tell me about the boat again morning with Paul to recap the systems, take copious notes, ask lots of dumb questions and basically absorb as much info as possible as tomorrow we would be driving once again through the traffic to drive OUR BOAT to our new marina. Oh yeah, I forgot the find a slip part. Just insert another 100 phone calls and more $$ going from my wallet into someone else’s back a few sentences. It’s all kinda running together! Well, Saturday the wind was forcast to be 30 kts, gusts to 40kts. Not the best time to drive, not sail, remember, baby steps....the boat to the new marina. Postponed to Sunday. Wise choice grasshopper! The bay was calm, winds around 5 - 10 kts. Perfect! With keys in hand we jumped aboard, did the correct pre check, fired up the 90hp Ford Lehman, hauled aboard the dock lines and motored happily, peacefully, giddily, jumping up and down like little kids across the bay to Marina Bay Yacht Harbor. I practiced some backing, turning, idling, back & fill maneuvers prior to entering OUR 15’ wide slip with our 13’ 8” wide boat before actually doing it and low and behold, like putting your hand in the pocket of a tight pair of jeans, we slid right in. No show for the dock neighbors quite yet. So hear I sit, just a few hours removed from a glorious day, reeling in all the emotions and sharing it with you.

Now, back to telling newbies what kind of boat they should buy for their circumnavigation!

Cheers
rbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 22:20   #25

Boat: LAGOON 400

i congratulate you for the brave step.

you have unknowingly bought yourself extra 5 years of healthy and happy life that life on boat gives you.

all the best
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 13:13   #26

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Congratulations to Tally Ho for finding happy enthusiastic new owners. I hope you will bring her many years of safe adventures and generous loving maintenance. My boat can still remember with a smile the day she found us.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 13:30   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrazil View Post
Long time lurker, (always learning) 2nd time poster.

It’s finally happened! After 13 years of learning, practicing, learning some more, sailing with other people, sailing on other peoples boats (probably the smartest thing) practicing some more, going on sailing trips and learning, learning, learning...............we bought a sailboat!! My lovely wife and I are the proud (pending survey) owners of a 1987 Nauticat 43. We’ve looked at boats forever and are thrilled!! This is the first day so I wanted to share it with everyone. Remember that first day?? It’s pretty cool....... So today, I set up a survey, haul out, and the about to be previous owner to be in the same place at the same time for the survey and test sail. It was fun! I’ve been dreaming about this for a long time. Our plans (what ever that means) are to sail the SF Bay Area, Delta, short ocean trips to Half Moon Bay, Drakes Bay etc for 2 years to get to know her better and then head south with the Baja HaHa and keep her in the Sea of Cortez for a while. Wish us luck!

I’d like to thank everyone on Cruisers Forum for the help, support, laughter, comedy, arguments and fodder over the years. Truly enjoyable! Now, quick question.........what anchor should I buy? JUST KIDDING

Richie Rich
Good times congrats
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote