Hello everyone-my name is Solomon.
I am an active-duty Army guy/dad/husband/lubber in WA state who has discovered a (perhaps ill-advised) sailing obsession. The timeline goes something like this:
1. Move to WA state (after never living near significant amounts of water
before) and notice all the water
2. Decide that it would be great to be able to move around on that water. Also notice all the cool boats.
3. Get a couple kayaks and do nothing but that and work all summer for 2 years. Continue to notice the cool boats, especially those with sails
4. Visit Bremerton and ogle Navy
ships. Start devouring historical/naval fiction (Patrick O'Bryan, C.S. Forrester, etc.).
5. Start taking walks at local marinas
and browsing craigslist and boat ads for fun.
6. Dream about boat diagrams and components. Wake up in a cold sweat and the realization I need to learn to sail. Start reading manuals
about basic boat design and operation, subscribe to sailing mags, lurk on forums
, and taking free online 'courses'.
7. Lament the cost in money
and time for sailing lessons
(Army keeps me on a fairly short leash). Figure it is cheaper to buy a used sailboat and go from there.
8. Buy an old Cal
20 needing 'a little work'. Work on it long enough to realize I am in over my head
will cost 3 times the value of the boat. Sell it for less than I bought it for.
9. Begin to search again for one that is sail-ready. Find my T22. Buy it from an experienced sailor who helps and mentors. Curse the paperwork required for registration
and so on...
10. Sail a few times for short distance on my own. Spend all my free time on the boat. Stop lurking in forums
and start posting!
So here I am, hoping to get some advice and eventually contribute in a meaningful way to the discussion.
My Tanzer 22 (Christened the 'H.P. Lovecraft'...get it?) is moored at West Bay Marina (home away from home) in Oly. I have many small fixes to make and such; but she is sweet!
So...pardon my enthusiasm and thanks for having lubbers like me on here!
Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk