Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 09:52   #16

Boat: currently "on the beach"
I would add that while Whisper was living under her changed name of Lirum, she did slip her mooring and get pinned against a dock to the tune of 30K in damage. Restored name should be ready to go on the stern in a few weeks. No ceremony is planned. Is a re- back to the first - christening needed ? Is there an issue that christen comes from "Christ" whereas the Gods we do want to offend are of a different origin ?
Once you start.....

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:25   #17

Boat: Pearson 365- Trident
Cap'n Lar, The latest one I heard was that in order to change the name, the Captain must find a virgin to pee in the bilge. I see that you are from Boston and well, you will probably have more luck there than say, here in the Tampa bay area.
SailWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 13:26   #18

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Ghoster

I like it. The others are good choices too. Goshawk, Gosling, Gabriel but that is a mans name, Gabrielle is more than seven letters. Nga Waka ( the boat ) is also a goody.
Gently my 1979 Tanzer 8.5m is hull number 13, and has been moored at our Yacht Club continuously since 1979. It is one of the few boats that did not sustain any damage during a microburst storm that wrecked the docks and many boats. GOFF had damage from that event. Gently is also one of the few boats that has not been broken in to.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 14:04   #19

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
Hey Larry, Is that Hal Roth's old Whisper?

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 15:20   #20

No, and as far as he travelled in her, that might be a good thing. Mr. Roth's "Whisper" was a 35 footer. I can't remember her make but I do not think she was a Bristol.

Larry

Old 06-01-2006, 10:09   #21

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Name change and whistling

Since you've been in the Navy, you know Navies around the world will change the name of a vessel without ill affect. I was Canadian Navy, commissioned, and my nick name was "Kid Gravol."

Not only will I be changing the name of my boat but I plan to whistle on it as well.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 16:47   #22

Boat: Grand Alaskan. 64'
Mark,
Congratulations and enjoy. Sure it will be a lot of work but so are all these other kill joy's boats. Don't let them discourage you. We've changed the name on every boat we've owned and any bad luck we've had cannot be attributed to name changing.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Greg www.seaplanetearth.com
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 18:51   #23

Greg - Now thats a live aboard !

SailWiz - We did have a good supply, but they kept going to Tampa for Spring Break, so the numbers are really down

Larry

Old 06-01-2006, 21:49   #24
Kai Nui

My first power boat was originally named "OOH AAH" (don't ask). My EX wife suggested that I change the name. "Starling" lasted longr than our marraige. As for the Endeavor, I am a fan of big boats, but feel more comfortable in rough weather on a small boat. That said, for a perspective from someone who circumnavigated with very little experience in a vary large boat, read "Gentlemen Never Sail To Weather"
Enjoy your new life.
Old 06-01-2006, 22:36   #25

That 1986 Jefferson Cockpit Motor Yacht, would make a nice liveaboard.

I hate to see how much his fuel bills are?
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 22:49   #26
Kai Nui

Where's the helipad???
Markpj, if you have not already considered it, you may want to purchase a sailing dinghy for your boat. This woul be a useful, and non redundant item, and will give you a great chance to hone your sailing skills. Even a little Walker bay with a sail rig will give a lively sail around the harbor, or fit in the pack of a pickup to go lake sailing.
Old 06-01-2006, 23:05   #27

That guy has got enough room for a hot tub up on the bow area. One of those mini hot tubs. And there would still be plenty of room on deck to walk around.
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:50   #28

Captain K, While I dont have a boat and really cant say anything to Markpj28 except good on ya mate,hope ya do well at what ya want to do,I do notice you dont have a boat by what is in the blue colum under ya name.I hope ya not talking with jealousy in ya heart.I do take in consideration the fact that you do know what ya talking about 99% of the time,and could probably handle that big boat on ya own given the need, but I do notice that nobody asked this bloke the right question!! The way I see IT goes as follows! Markpj28,being a torpedo mechanic,does that mean that if ya let one of those things off,and it dont work,do ya actually swim out there where ever it is and fix it?Or do ya just say ,like we do here in oz,BUGGER-Ah well **** happens!!!HeHarHEharHeHar.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:07   #29

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Fair winds et al

PJ and Mark,

Congrats; go out and enjoy and let us know how it's going. Go ahead and change the name - there is no worse luck than being stuck with someone else's name. Do the ceremony if only that it's a good reason to have a drink - drinking the champers is the modern variation; smashing it on the bow is environmentally unfriendly, you might bruise the bow and it's alcohol abuse

KaiNui - I think you are in that rare group that is more comfortable in a smaller boat in rough weather. My observations have shown that small boat plus big waves equals more green folk clutching bags of their stomach contents. You're not alone though - my better half is fine on everything from dinghies to ferries, but has gotten seasick both times she's gone on cruises - go figure.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:08   #30

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Small boat

Put me in the favouring the small boat group. Bigger scares me more than small, although the Oriana was comfotable.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote