Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2013, 13:45   #16

Re: Sail Guam ? Sail Japan ?

They have a suicide cliff on Okinawa too, but never been to it there. Did you launch off "Suicide cliff" or "Banzai cliff"? There is a difference. Suicide cliff is way up there. Banzai cliff overlooks the rocky bottom to the water. You may survive a Banzai cliff jump, but forget about SUICIDE CLIFF. I knew a co-worker that jumped from Mount Tapachao with his hand glider, and almost got himself killed, he put the glider away in a storage locker and never opened it up again since when I was out there.
29palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 14:22   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
They have a suicide cliff on Okinawa too, but never been to it there. Did you launch off "Suicide cliff" or "Banzai cliff"? There is a difference. Suicide cliff is way up there. Banzai cliff overlooks the rocky bottom to the water. You may survive a Banzai cliff jump, but forget about SUICIDE CLIFF. I knew a co-worker that jumped from Mount Tapachao with his hand glider, and almost got himself killed, he put the glider away in a storage locker and never opened it up again since when I was out there.
At the top ,there is a metal guard rail and lots of big urns with 3ft long incense buring in them and lots of those wooden plaques(Retablos) with names and prayers written on them,when you look down there are shore guns pointing out to sea and caves ,directly out in front is an open area that is flat and rocky all the way to the sea(750 yards?), this was the LZ,when I launched with a paraglider I land back on top...Is your friends name Ray A.?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 16:35   #18

You must be thinking of "Banzai Cliff". Birds island view? Only shore guns I know of are those of the last Japanese command post. That's closer to Banzai Cliff. I don't know any Ray A.
Old 26-01-2013, 18:41   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
You must be thinking of "Banzai Cliff". Birds island view? Only shore guns I know of are those of the last Japanese command post. That's closer to Banzai Cliff. I don't know any Ray A.
I belive bird island is back toward Garapan(the viewing area that has the concrete fence that looks like split logs)from the launch..cool places to see for sure...
Old 29-01-2013, 02:19   #20

No, bird island is passed Garapan to the north, not far from Banzai cliff. The island you may be thinking about off of Garapan is MANAGAHA. Very beautiful island and great snorkeling.
Old 30-01-2013, 17:55   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
No, bird island is passed Garapan to the north, not far from Banzai cliff. The island you may be thinking about off of Garapan is MANAGAHA. Very beautiful island and great snorkeling.
I found some photos but I dont know how to post them! Si yuus ma'ase..Puedi ha todo maolek...
Old 31-01-2013, 03:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I found some photos but I dont know how to post them! Si yuus ma'ase..Puedi ha todo maolek...
I dont speak chamorro. Not a native islander. Just know hafa adai.
Old 31-01-2013, 07:18   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I dont speak chamorro. Not a native islander. Just know hafa adai.
I wrote, thank you, have a nice day.. this is not how they would say it on Guam though, but its similar ...I think... I would love to sail from Siapan to Chucck over to Phonapa,Yap,Palau then to the PIs...I have sailed all of these places but it was not from one island to the next, I would get a month off and fly down to Truk and meet some friends and sail around then fly back to Guam work a few months and head to the next island and sail a bit then back to work and repeat...Next time I will have "MY" boat and move at my leasure and continue around till I complete a circumnavigation,sounds like a plan !
Old 01-02-2013, 05:49   #24

Just living out on the islands is quite nautical. All that weather comes right to you. I had a little moped I would ride around in, been all over Saipan on a moped. I used to listen to short wave radio on the ship, would pick up the Science Christian Monitor and all the news out there. They had a station on Saipan so it came out very strong while up in Japan and coming down to Saipan. Sure would be nice to island sail around those islands.
Old 14-02-2013, 21:01   #25

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Yes, folks sail Guam and Japan. I think you are getting some great stories.
kind regards,

Tags
Guam, Japan