Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2010, 08:39   #1

Newbie from the Deserts of America

Hello,
I am a potential full-time cruiser. Still debating whether or not to launch this plan sooner-than-later however. I've read everything I can get my hands on regarding sailing with a dog, and frankly I'm just not convinced that it's a good plan for my Standard Poodle. How crazy is that - hinging life plans on the well-being of an animal, but as hard as it might be for some to understand - my dog is my best friend.
When I was considering which boat would work for my ventures, I was really drawn to multi-hull vessels as the best choice for many reasons. Then came the reality of how much they cost!!! It's unbelievable!!
So, I will still continue to dream and plan for the hopeful future of sailing, but for now - guess I'll go hiking with my buddy...
DesertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 09:48   #2

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
Another dreamer here myself. Check these people out. They cruised with dogs.

SailCharbonneau Homepage

I found their web site helpful in planning.

Also, what size boat are you really looking for? There are all kinds of boats, for all kinds of price ranges. If it's not a good fit for you then, it's not, but never zero out an idea just because the first few dozen looks it appears to expensive.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 10:07   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertMermaid View Post
Hello,
I am a potential full-time cruiser. Still debating whether or not to launch this plan sooner-than-later however. I've read everything I can get my hands on regarding sailing with a dog, and frankly I'm just not convinced that it's a good plan for my Standard Poodle. How crazy is that - hinging life plans on the well-being of an animal, but as hard as it might be for some to understand - my dog is my best friend.
When I was considering which boat would work for my ventures, I was really drawn to multi-hull vessels as the best choice for many reasons. Then came the reality of how much they cost!!! It's unbelievable!!
So, I will still continue to dream and plan for the hopeful future of sailing, but for now - guess I'll go hiking with my buddy...
Cruising with dogs is not a problem in most locations as long as the innoculations are up to date. Some international destinations are more friendly than others. Sometimes people skip certain countries because they are more restrictive on their pet regulations.

You are right that multihulls are expensive. Even if you get an older one, the costs of doing a refit are high. You can save some money by doing the work yourself, but it is still a big expense.

An older monohull might be more affordable. You can get a lot of bang for your buck with the large supply of older monohulls out there.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 18:33   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
regards,