Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2008, 11:14   #1

New Member . . . Without a Ship

Hello,

I'm a new member without a ship. In fact, I've never even owned one.

So what sparked my interest in sailing? Well that interest has always been there form an early age. My father built and raced sailboats in Austria in the early '40s. He recently passed away and while going through his belongings, I found his medals and certificates (olympic class boats) from the Austrian Sailing Federation.

Unfortunately due to numerous circumstances, he never got involved in sailing after moving to Canada. As a kid, I remember browsing through the stacks of "Sailing" magazines and dreaming.

IF I decide to get into this, I'd be looking at getting into this passionately, because that is normally how I do things. The IF would depend on whether I could give up the other hobby I am passionate about, as there are only 24 hours in a day.

So I'm here to ask a billion questions, because other than a few evening outings in a friend's sailboat, I'm as green as they get.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 11:39   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You have to make room for more than one passion in your life. It just makes YOU that much more intersting.......WELCOME
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 13:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
You have to make room for more than one passion in your life. It just makes YOU that much more intersting.......WELCOME
True!

But boats, like aircraft tend to consume you..time-wise.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 17:37   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Traveller,
Welcome aboard! Great to have you here. If you have any questions about how to get started this is a great place to begin. I recommend the book "Start Sailing Right!"
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 18:28   #5

Welcome,

When we were cruising the Caribbean, it seemed that there were nearly as many Canadians as Americans. Of course, there were a lot of jokes about about why, but no matter - go sailiing and you'll be hooked. For some great logs from some Canadian sailors, go here:

BoatUS Cruising Logs
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 18:58   #6

I have the exact same feelings, I'm 51, a master mechanic, diesels, hydraulics, welder and electrician and currently living in Alaska, I manage a concrete batching plant here. I too have always dreamed of sailing into the sunsets, I have ever since I can remember built models of sailing ships and I have in my hobby room some really big all wood Americas Cup racers. my goal is to find a nice boat in Florida and spend the colder months there.

I have especially been interested in some large trawlers over 40" but it depends on what I can afford to maintain or store when I'm still here in Alaska. My absolute worst fear is being 5200 miles away when a hurricane is in the area and what can happen, I cannot live in Florida when its hot, heck I get heat exhaustion when it gets on a rare day here near 80.
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 22:37   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hello Traveller,
Welcome to the site and good luck on the water.
Re you dads sailing history - you might get more info if you could track down any clubs he may have belonged to in the 40's and made contact.
Most Ozzie sailing clubs maintain a reasonable collection of historical memorabilia and if you dad took his racing seriously, you might learn more.
If he came from Western Australia and you want to know where to start - give me a shout.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 27-03-2008, 19:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Traveller,
Welcome aboard! Great to have you here. If you have any questions about how to get started this is a great place to begin. I recommend the book "Start Sailing Right!"
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Thanks, John.

So far I've received good tips from Paul Blais, Jackdale and a few others.

The only post I've started so far was "Book Recommendations" down in Training, Licencing...

How does the book you've recommended compare to the ones already listed in that post? Comments welcome!
Old 27-03-2008, 19:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Hello Traveller,
Welcome to the site and good luck on the water.
Re you dads sailing history - you might get more info if you could track down any clubs he may have belonged to in the 40's and made contact.
Most Ozzie sailing clubs maintain a reasonable collection of historical memorabilia and if you dad took his racing seriously, you might learn more.
If he came from Western Australia and you want to know where to start - give me a shout.
Cheers
JOHN
Hello John,

I've already done that. I've e-mailed all the directors of the club he sailed at and someone there must have passed the info along to a club member who has since contacted me.

Incredibly, they've dug up original documents that they will give me when I visit this summer (I'm always there every summer motorcycle touring in the Alps for five weeks). When I get there, they are putting on a party. I'll also be taken out on the lake where my dad sailed/raced.

My mother and I almost ended up in Australia back in the mid 70s when she applied at the ABC. A sailboat was on the shopping list if we did end up there. My aunt lives near the Gold Coast.
Old 27-03-2008, 19:37   #10

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
Welcome Traveller, you will find all the help and encouragement you can handle on this site. You don't want to give up any other passions--especially motorcycles. I'm on an FLHRCI Road King; what's your pleasure? Again welcome!
Old 27-03-2008, 19:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneri1 View Post
Welcome Traveller, you will find all the help and encouragement you can handle on this site. You don't want to give up any other passions--especially motorcycles. I'm on an FLHRCI Road King; what's your pleasure? Again welcome!
Hello Eric,

Four BMWs GSes of various years and one Kawasaki KLR 650. In other words, all dual purpose style motorcycles which are great for their long range and comfort. One BMW, a R1150 GS Adventure is based in Europe for my trips there; the others are based here.

I know how much time I spend maintaining them (like I maintain aircraft) and I'm thinking how much time I'll spend maintaining a boat. I wonder what is involved in recoating the hull on a 40 footer. Sounds like a lot of work...and how often would that be done?
Old 27-03-2008, 19:52   #12

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
That depends on the water you're in; mine lasts about two seasons. Sailing is so different, I like motor toys (I'm also a Corvette guy) but sailing soothes something different. It can become a way of life, I think, but can also fit in with what you already do. I hope you find your course. . . .
Old 27-03-2008, 20:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneri1 View Post
It can become a way of life, I think, but can also fit in with what you already do. I hope you find your course. . . .
Exactly what I've been thinking. In as little as 5 years, I can retire.

My options are to pull up roots here and buy a home in Austria and retire there, or buy a boat and just live on it in the Mediterranean. Corsica and Croatia were so nice the last two years...pure paradise! See pic below. The latter is a tough question to answer since I've only spent a weekend on a boat. I'd be giving up my home, my shop (tools, lathe, mill) and selling off some motorcycles.

Then there is the age thing. Will I be able to do all my own maintenance in the coming years? I prefer doing my own as I've always done on my vehicles, etc.

At the very least, I am enjoying browsing over YachtWorld.com (window shopping) and gathering info here.

The Golfe de Porto, Corsica...
Old 25-07-2008, 14:45   #14

News

While on my annual motorcycle tour of Europe and the Alps, I got to meet some old friends of my late father; some very serious sailors (Admiral's Cup - obviously not a rookie) who sailed on the Attersee and the Traunsee in Austria.

While there, the lady who organized the meeting took me out for a nice 2+ hour sail on the Attersee. How relaxing, enjoyable and what views!
Old 25-07-2008, 15:06   #15

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Well, there apparently is such a thing as a "born sailor".

Welcome aboard!

Are you on the Great Lakes or one of the coasts?