Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2007, 14:54   #1

Location: My residence is in Vancouver Washington. Have a floating home on Hayden Island in Portland so the Hailing Port is Portland OR
Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Odyssey 43 Deck Salon - Gemini Daze

Hello everyone. Look forward to the value of this site.

I have several projects going on Gemini Daze so, hopefully I can get some good advice.

Glad to be aboard.
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 23:26   #2
Kai Nui

Gemini, saw you intro sitting here all by itself. Can't have that Welcome aboard!!! Hope to see some pitures of your projects.
Old 04-01-2007, 23:31   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Gemini,
Welcome aboard!! Glad to have you here. Would like to hear of your projects too. My hull was layed up there in Portland at Cascade.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:06   #4

Location: My residence is in Vancouver Washington. Have a floating home on Hayden Island in Portland so the Hailing Port is Portland OR
Kai Nui, & SkiprJohn,

Thanks for the replies.

JohnL, I also have a Cascade 42, now a 44 added the stern scoup. 1980 vintage with an old faithful Faryman 34HP Diesel. Was heading up to the San Juans early Sept. but ran into some problems with my seawater pump. Heading out the Columbia at CR and caught a 30lb Salmon then headed out to pick up some Albacore Tuna before heading north. 1 Salmon and 2 Tuna. About the time I was setting out the tuna jigs and taking a picture of my wife at the helm heading into the sunset, notice no water coming out of the exhaust... shut her down and was heading for the engine when I had to stop and pull in the first tuna. While working on the engine hooked into another tuna but let it drag until I could complete the repair.

Pully came loose and was sitting in the bilge. As luck would have it, the tool box didn't have the metric allen wrenches as they were left at home. Jurry rigged it and headed north. At 1am while sleeping on the cabin sole I woke to a start. Cabin full of smoke, shut down the engine and popped out onto the cockpit scarring the hell out of my wife. Smoke billowing out. Engine overheated and I destroyed the seawater pump. Put up the sails and headed back to Astoria.

Replaced the pump after 3 days and we decided to take a gunk holing trip back up the Columbia.

The straw that broke the camel's back was on the second day up the river, no wind, motoring along and the Hurth transmission decides to permantly slip. Oh well, call a buddy from home to come give us a tow. While side tied heading back to port, river level at -2ft, both boats combined weighing 17tons, we struck a deadhead in the river 1 mile from port.

Arrived home around 10pm, tied her up, was invited to the neighbors for Pizza. Not seeing any water coming in, we took them up on the Pizza. One hour later, return to the slip and the boat looks a little low in the water. Upon entry into the main salon, wala, I'm up to my waist in river water. So, as we are pulling everything off and running a 2" electric pump to get the water out, my wife says, "you know every time we are on this boat all I ever get to see of you is your hind end because you always have your head down in the engine compartment." Then she adds, " I don't know what you are planning on doing this weekend, but I'm going to the Seattle fall boat show."

Needless to say, the Cascade is on the hard and I now have two 40+ foot boats.

Hope you enjoy the story.

Gemini - also JohnL
Old 05-01-2007, 10:06   #5

Very good story. Good to make your acquaintance. Sorry to hear of the damages to the Cascade. I like your wife. Oops, that might have been inappropriate.

I'm originally (many years ago) from Salem and I do get to Portland and Vancouver from time to time to visit family. I've stopped in Cathlamet a couple of times to visit a friend that had a boat there for awhile. Nice place when the sun shines.

There is another Cascade 42 owner on the forum called SKirvens if you'd like to trade Cascade stories. His boat is the center cockpit version. Mine is a cutter rigged aft cockpit version.

Gemini, I chose JohnL because there are a great number of Johns on the forum.

JohnL
Old 05-01-2007, 10:11   #6

The other Cascade 42 owner goes by the name Stevek.

Regards, JohnL
Old 05-01-2007, 10:20   #7

JohnL... I won't be steeling your JohnL although that fits my full name of John LeDoux.

Well if you get to Portland shoot me an e-mail.

I have done some upgrading to my Cascade as I indicated. Autopilot, Radar, Furling Gib and behind the mast Furling Main. Had to make it easier for my wife to handle so I could get my beauty rest.

Schooner Creek Boat Works here in Portland has it in their yard doing the repairs. About done but the weather turned to cold to put a coat of paint on the patch. Now that I have the other boat, still in San Diego, I gave them the liberty to take their time. I have been taking pictures of the repairs.

Once I get her out of the Yard, I'm going to do some fine cleaning on the inside and then put her up for sale. I feel bad about getting rid of the old girl but I can't keep all my boats happy so must turn one or two loose.

JJ
Old 05-01-2007, 13:02   #8

Aloha JJ,
Thanks for the info. Does your Cascade have the center cockpit and aft cabin?
Good luck on the new boat. Are you going to bring her up in the summer?
JohnL
Old 06-01-2007, 08:12   #9

The Cascade is an aft cockpit with the aft main stateroom. Wide Open inside.

Going to move Gemini Daze up to the SF Bay area in the March timeframe and futher to the Columbia in May.

My projects are filling up fast. I am going to add a watermaker, generator, A Spinnaker with removable bowsprit, AIS receiver and ???

Trying to get her ready for a Circumnavigation in 2 years after I retire.

JJ
Old 06-01-2007, 10:54   #10
Kai Nui

Gemini, stop by Moss Landing on your way up. We'll be glad to show you some local hospitality!
I feel your pain. I hate engines. We finaly gave up, and started with a bare hull so we could make sure it was done right. We are also multiple boat owners. Down to two right now, and hope to be down to one next year. My wife and I have very fond memories of Astoria. Beautiful place. Bought the best pair of sunglasses I ever owned at the boat store by the Light Ship.

« Greetings | Hello »