Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2006, 17:40   #1

Boat: Emu,15 metre ferro

Hi everybody
I asked a question in another forum and Skiprjohn gently suggested I introduce myself here (my mother always said I had no manners), so here goes
I'm mid fortyish, female and have no significant other, and frankly happier for it (she said I was selfish too). When I was younger we did a lot of fishing and scuba diving around the Sydney area and Jarvis bay. They were some of the best times Ive had, not only being with friends but just being on the water in any kind of boat. But then life gets in the way and you get caught up doing other things, I think someone in an earlier post called it being stuck in the matrix. before you know it 20 yrs have gone by and you realise that you havent done anything you really want to do. Well thats going to change - Ive dealt with any issues ive had and now Im going to do stuff Ive always wanted to do. its taken me a couple of years to refine just what that is, I started out just wanting to be near the water, a lot. But I cant afford property close to the shore, then I sold some spare parts for a washing machine to some one who lives aboard their own boat and the penny dropped!
It took a little longer to realise that a sail boat was the best compromise for me,but Im there now. in two years Ill do a quick and dirty (ie kitchen and bathroom and paint) reno on the house, sell it and buy a boat. In the mean time its of to sailing school, Ive already completed my first course - the RYA's comp crew course (and loved it) and am saving for the next one, mostly nav and road rules, its classroom based and the course after that you put it into practise on the water - Im impressed so far with the RYA courses they seem very comprehensive and really made us work at our sailhandling.
well thats probably enough for now (some might say too much), looking forward to chatting?posting? to you all later
Audrey
AudreyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006, 18:02   #2
Kai Nui

Audrey, welcome aboard. Glad you finally saw the light
Old 29-10-2006, 18:31   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Audrey,
"The penny dropped." That is not an expression we get much here in Hawaii but I think I know it means, "Comes the dawn." "I saw the light." "Tripped my trigger."
Again, welcome aboard!! Glad you're here.
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006, 19:00   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Welcome Audrey:

Glad you saw the light. I'm trying to get the family into the boating life and they have agreed to short term and then a longer trip (one year)down the road. Commuter cruising I call it. This is a great place to learn.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006, 19:02   #5

Well Audrey, I am in a similar "boat". It's amazing how people from all over the globe can congregate here, sharing a dream, and supporting each other. I too am new to this seemingly wonderful world of sailing - and at first I wondered if I was starting too late in life. Well that got slapped down pretty quickly.

I must also say to all read this thread - I find this forum soooo very informative. I have only posted once before but I visit every day and I also do a lot of searches. There is so much here that you can learn, so many knowledgeable and helpful people.

Good sailing to you, Audrey!
rossir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006, 21:55   #6

Boat: Emu,15 metre ferro
Thanks for the welcome people, talk to you soon
Audrey
AudreyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:47   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
From one expat Ozzie to another, welcome Audrey and good luck in fulfilling your plan. I'm sure other site members will provide all the guidance and support you'll ever need and trust we'll see you out on the water someday soon.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 02-11-2006, 13:25   #8

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Welcome aboard Audrey.

For what it is worth, Brisbane is a good place to be if you want to look for boats (I assume "Brisvegas" = Brisbane): There are loads of yacht clubs up the queensland coast that are brimming with older boats for sale that would be ideal as cheap live-aboards (I know this, because I bought one). Good luck.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote