Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2012, 10:26   #31

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike
Re: New here Cal28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanSail View Post
Hey Mike,

The backing plate is 1/4 stainless, though I'm not sure the grade. I got the material from the boatyard where my boat is. I'm not sure the length of the backing plate but it is longer than the roller. This picture probably shows the plate the best:

http://poolio.net/wp-content/gallery...ng-fitting.JPG

The backing plate was drilled on the squared end and is through bolted under the roller and under the chain stopper which is mounted in front of the pulpit bases where the blue tape and two epoxied holes are in the picture above.

Jonathan
Thanks for that people talk about backing plate width lenght etc but don't seem to mention the thickness at all Mike
Old 18-08-2012, 10:46   #32

Boat: Pearson, 28-1

Hey Mike,

I should add that this isn't a typical or necessarily proper installation. Size and thickness of backing plates depends a lot on the materials used, the forces expected and the deck/surface that you are mounting something to. In some cases a thinner backing plate that can match the flex rate (probably has a more technical name/explanation) of the surface the backing plate is stuck too will perform better in extreme situations.

I went with the long 1/4" stainless backing plate because I didn't have a lot of room and needed to pack more strength into a confined/limited area. In extreme cases I think that I will see some damage to the deck around the roller though it would take a lot to remove the whole assembly from the boat. It will be best for me to ride to snubbers through the fairleads to the side of the roller and not to the roller itself in heavy seas/storm conditions.

In many cases synthetic backing plates are great as they don't deteriorate and they spread the load without creating hard edges like some thick metals will. Wooden plywood backing plates are similar in many ways but can rot and deteriorate over time. Metals corrode in some installs and shouldn't be mixed if it can be avoided. Ideal size/thickness can vary a lot but the main goal is to spread the loads of a piece of hardware so that deck damage/hardware failure is avoided.

One good way to get a feel for backing plates dimensions that work is to look at hardware installs on old boats. You'll see a variety of setups from no backing plates to various materials. Cracks in the gelcoat around hardware, compression of laminates/core, rotting, corrosion, etc. etc. will show you setups to avoid or that can be improved on.

Jonathan
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 11:51   #33

Boat: 1964 Cascade 29 "Classic Plastic"

Hi we are Dave and Leiann Scee of the S/V Chrysalis II. You can vist out boat website @ Oxaca and Grass Hoppers part 2 | Chrysalis Adventures . You will find lot's of cuising boats that are actually out here doing it. There so many things I could share with you that it quickly over whem you and you are probably a little over whemed anyway. First I don't want to bust your bubble but there very very few cruising boats out here with out boards. For several reasons: one you will motor much more than you think you will, two gasoline is much much harder to find and more expensive, Three fuel mileage (one of the few boats I have seen with an out board was a Islander 27 with a 25 hp OB, he carried 6 jerry can's on the deck and still had a hard time making it from port to port). Now Lynn and Larry Pardey sailed around the world in a 25 and again in a 29, without a engine, so it can be done. What they don't tell you in there books is that they were pulled in and out of many ports. So you may want to rethink this before you go any futher in the money pit. I owned a Cal 29 with a single diesel (Ferrymen 12hp) that would do a much better job and I sold it for 16K ready to go. It does cost money to be out here. Right now there is a 30ft trimarrand on the beach in the middle of the Baja. It looks like a under budget boat, with most likely an outboard. People here and else where have been trying to figure out how to help them. They don't have any money, have a hole in there boat and everything they own is in the boat. You don't want to end up like them. If I can help I would be happy to so. Always like to help another low budget guy like myself get out here, but just don't want to blow smoke up your %##. Just saying Dave