Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2012, 21:58   #1

Boat: Cal28
Lightbulb New here Cal28

hey there, my names michael. i've been reading posts and using this forum to help with research and projects on my 1967 cal28 for a while now. decided to join in hopes for more motivation and to speed up my projects. i bought her in january 2011. moved aboard full time in may of 2011. and i've been working on her since day one. not as intensely as i wish, but lack of income to blow on boating gear and a full time job have to exist.

we are outfitting our boat for long distance coastal cruising. we hope to leave california this fall around the time of the baja-haha and head south cruiser style. hopefully through panama (ive read a lot, oh boy, we'll see it when we get there)

just a few of my projects off my extensive to-do list i'll be working on this summer and may need advice on include: new anchor set up, solar panel set up, minor plumbing, rigging the head for offshore dumping, chartplotter set up, refrigerating my ice chest possibly, new knot reader, new compass, plus a whole lot more little never ending projects.

anyone who has cruised south from california, through mexico and so on (i know theres tons of you on here) i would love any input you have. stories, advice, locations, surf breaks, anchorages, tips, and any other answers to all the help i need on my to-do list.

projects i've just currently completed include: installing 2 NorthStar (NSB-M12-210FT) AGM batteries, plus a new smaller AGM for my outboard. just had her hauled out, popped and sealed 300+ blisters, and gave her a trinadad pro paint job. new 750 GPH bilgepump. 10 ft Porta Bote tender with a 40lb. electric trolling motor (definitely going to upgrade the power on that) currently this week i'm working on installing a 3 burner gimbaled propane stove/oven.

glad to join. hope to gain a lot of knowledge from everyone.
mikalcalvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 22:16   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: New here Cal28

Congratulations and welcome. Nice boat the Cal 28. I almost bought one at one time.
Old 23-04-2012, 05:09   #3

Boat: O'Day 28

Yep, great sailing boat. Welcome.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 05:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Always glad to see another Cal28 owner aboard! Ours is a Lear-Siegler, so kind of a great grandson of your's, but still retains all that is good in a C28.
George
Old 23-04-2012, 05:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Michael.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 21:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Always glad to see another Cal28 owner aboard! Ours is a Lear-Siegler, so kind of a great grandson of your's, but still retains all that is good in a C28.
George
hey i wonder if your table set up in the galley would be the same as mine? when i bought the boat it didnt have the original table and i havent been able to figure out exactly how it would work. i built a pedestal leg into the floor with a really nice wooden removable table top. it works pretty well, but i'd like to find out how the original was. maybe someone knows? pictures would be awesome. thanks.
Old 23-04-2012, 21:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Yep, great sailing boat. Welcome.
hey i grew up in kitty hawk, nc. we definitely know each other in some way...
Old 23-04-2012, 21:47   #8

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: New here Cal28

Well, not in that way.

I just sailed in here one day and ran aground in each of the bars. I'm from Redondo/Hermosa Beach. Heading back south soon.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 21:47   #9

Boat: CL Perry 44 Ketch Golden Wave 42, Mariner 40 Ketch

I sailed a Cal 28 from SF to MS in 2006. What is the name of your boat? I sold mine in SD. Great boat, I miss mine.
Vagabondroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 21:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabondroller View Post
I sailed a Cal 28 from SF to MS in 2006. What is the name of your boat? I sold mine in SD. Great boat, I miss mine.
her name is 'splendid isolation' im sorry but SF = san fransisco and MS =? ya im really attracted to this boat.
Old 23-04-2012, 22:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Well, not in that way.

I just sailed in here one day and ran aground in each of the bars. I'm from Redondo/Hermosa Beach. Heading back south soon.
hmmm well its nice to chat with people who are familiar with my home-area. it's a distinctive place.
Old 24-04-2012, 06:19   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikalcalvino View Post
my projects off my extensive to-do list i'll be working on this summer and may need advice on include: new anchor set up, solar panel set up, minor plumbing, rigging the head for offshore dumping, chartplotter set up, refrigerating my ice chest possibly, new knot reader, new compass, plus a whole lot more little never ending projects.
Look here, Atom Voyages - Solar Tracker, for a good idea on how to mount your solar panels.

Look here, Wilkie's Sailboat Page, for photos and installation instructions for a self-draining holding tanks.

What are you wanting to know about the anchor setup?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 12:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Look here, Atom Voyages - Solar Tracker, for a good idea on how to mount your solar panels.

Look here, Wilkie's Sailboat Page, for photos and installation instructions for a self-draining holding tanks.

What are you wanting to know about the anchor setup?
awesome thank you so much!
well for my anchor i bought a 33lb. bruce/claw solid by lewmar. i was going to mount it on the bow. right now i just have a little roller from the previous danforth. the danforth is going on the stern rail. but the bruce im thinking i need a bigger roller that it can lay into and pin-lock into place. and i guess some kind of manual winch crank? i want to avoid anything electrical when it comes to anchoring. we're young and tough enough to do it the way it has been done before windlasses. i just want a proper mounting for cruising.
Old 24-04-2012, 15:32   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Hi Mike and welcome. Sounds like we are both in the middle of the same projects.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 15:55   #15
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Ah yes, it's a cozy little club of Cal enthusiasts, just labouring lovingly away over our little plastic classics ; -)

We have hull 181 and Himself just called with a quote of about a grand to do her (very dirty) bottom on the 29th. So off to Berkeley Boat Yard we go in a few weeks!

While they do the yucky outside we will be installing a new water system and upgrading lights.

At the sail show I bought a nifty complement of LunaSea lights, mast top and cabin LED. Can't wait to get them in!

Welcome to the family ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote