Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2007, 03:43   #16

Boat: Beneteau 456
So you do have cable still?...wow yes.....change to Spectra and it will be much much easier.

What model do you have? Teak decks? Deep keel? Shoal?
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 05:52   #17

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I too have needed the running backs when working into a seaway. I don't like the block setup, especially the need to go forward with every tack, and am in the process of re-rigging. I have replaced the wire with T-900, and will probably replace the 4-1 tackle with a rope tail through a single turning block on the deck, leading to a windward winch. I'm not sure what I will do with the leeward runner to keep it from flying around and chafing the sail--a bungee with a hook at the shroud base will work, but it means going forward again.

Replaced the traveler system with Harken 12 years ago--expensive but much less friction and trouble-free.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 09:24   #18

Don, thanks for your solution to the running backs. They sure are a hassel! Ava, my 456 was built in 85. Deep keel just under 7' The decks are glass, no teak. I'll post some pics later. I'm renovating my house so at this time no internet, only at work. :-(
John Moir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 17:33   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 456 Carisma 1984
Send a message via Skype™ to sotavento
Hi,
I also bought a FIRST 456 very recently and I am loking at the Keel bolts since they are leaking sligthly. Has anyone had a tought about this?
Sotavento
sotavento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 18:10   #20

Boat: Beneteau 456
Mine were taken care of....

My boat had its keel bolts and attachment modified and reimforced a long time ago. But if yours are leaking I would start by doing that inmediately. Replace all through hulls and valves. Replace stuffing box.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 13:57   #21

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
My first 456 has the lead keel with stainless bolts-- but the factory had put on plain steel nuts and washers. I replaced the nuts and washers with stainless, and bedded them in with 5200 sealant. The tough ones were under the mast step, which is glassed in--had to grind it out and reglass it. For the first year I thought the keel bolts were leaking as water came while we were underway but later found out it was the seals in the rudder bearing. If you have an iron keel with plain steel bolts, the treatment is different as you need to protect them from rusting.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 14:54   #22

I also happen to own a first 456, but it's a bit of an "odd" 1983 version.
Hull is complete carbon / Kevlar and has an 8'2 draft (interior only pipe berths :-))
I believe the rigging does not allow me to leave out the running backstays at 15knots+
Jurgen Lady Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 14:49   #23

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
...At the end of last season I had the mast removed at haulout to inspect the mast and at that time I removed the backstays. This year I did not re-install them. Do you think I should replace them?
John--

In any heavy sea with a high wind you'll definately need the runners or you risk breaking your mast just above the lower spreaders. Although we have the 42 rather than the 456, thay have essentially the same rig. Aboard our boat we use uncovered 1/4" spectra runners with a double cover added to the last 20' so the line's easer to handle. The tail passes through a block at the back spinnaker sheet block pads and then to the secondary winches. A couple of good cranks is all it takes to steady up the mast. To get the lee runner out of the way, you can make a retractor by leading the runner down to the chainplate and then adding a length of shock-cord that's affixed to the lower shroud turn-buckle and led up and threaded through the runner about half way up. You want enough tension on the shock cord so that it pulls the runner straight down and a long enough retractor so that when the runner's tensioned, you've streched the retractor by about 1/3rd of its length. When you cast off the lee runner, the shock cord pulls it forward and out of the way of the boom and keeps things tidy untill your ready for the next tack.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 15:37   #24

Boat: Beneteau First 456 - Radiance
I do. Radiance is a 1985 First 456 in Seward Alaska. She came originally from France and I bought her in Annapolis, MD, had her trucked to Seattle and brought her up the inside passage. I've raced and cruised her and plan an extended 2-year South Pacific trip in several years.
Mark
palagic456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:39   #25
BPJ

Re: New Beneteau First 456 owner Toronto

Hi John, I hear your yacht is now for sale. How did you sail it to Toronto from the Atlantic? and how would a potential buyer, which could be me get it back to the ocean?
regards
Bernard
BPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:34   #26

Hi there. I sailed it to New York, up the Hudson river through the NY canal/lock systems to Lake Ontario and onto Toronto. It's a popular route with many Canadians coming and going south.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:47   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, BPJ.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 19:39   #28
BPJ

Re: New Beneteau First 456 Owner - Toronto

Hi Mark, interested to hear that you used road transport. Would you be able to tell me which company you used and the app cost?
many thanks
Bernard
Old 07-11-2011, 19:43   #29
BPJ

Thanks for that John, what would you want for your 456? and is the Atlantic via the Hudson the only option to get to the open sea? and how long does such trip take?
Bernard
Old 09-11-2011, 09:29   #30

Re: New Beneteau First 456 Owner - Toronto

It took us 7 days from NY to Toronto. 9 days from fl to NY. I'm asking $74,000. Google Toronto Yacht sales. They have the listing
My email is jwmoir@gmail.com

Tags
beneteau