Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2007, 03:56   #1

New Beneteau First 456 Owner - Toronto

Just want to say hi to everyone. Last year (2006) I bought a Beneteau First 456, still called The Legend and sailed her from Florida to Toronto. Great boat, beautiful inside. If you own one or had drop me a line and say hello.
John Moir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 04:54   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Congratulations on a fine boat--hope it lives up to its name! We have just finished a circumnavigation on our First 456, Klondike (no we're not Canucks). Currently in Newport, RI putting in new rigging and new engine, and then headed to the Caribbean for the winter.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 07:05   #3

Thanks Don. Question for you. I need to replace my stantchions and several of the original cast bases. Any idea where one can find new ones?
Old 14-08-2007, 11:33   #4

Boat: Beneteau 456
Congratulations...Great Boat

I purchased mine six months ago and have done lots and lots of things, from new sails, new rigging cables, all new thru hulls and valves, teak decks restoration, new gps, new radio, new bimini, new fuel lines and filters, galley modification to accept microwave oven, and many many other little things. Titere is a SM deep lead keel 1984 First 456........Great sailing machine .............Congratulations.......

Post some pictures................

some pictures of mine:

My Photo Gallery - All Images - Powered by PhotoPost
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 12:54   #5

avazquez, thanks for posting your pics! Did you have to replace the rubber seals that run around the port windows (galley, heads and rear cabins)? If so where did you buy the material?

John
Old 14-08-2007, 19:34   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
John,

The round rubber seals you can get from Goiot in Florida. Cut to length, use wetsuit glue to stick the ends together, and a few dabs of silicone to keep the new ones in place.

The stanchions and bases are a bit harder to find--I got the last batch from the guys in Marmaris, Turkey who maintain boats for Sunsail. I would try Beneteau USA. The bases are not fun, as the big screws through the toe-rail are usually tough to get out, and then you have to go behind the headliner and expose the nuts on the through-bolts with a dremel tool.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 04:39   #7

Don is correct GOIOT has the seals. All my stanchions and stanchion bases were replaced before I got the boat. I haven't removed any of them but from Don's description it sounds like a pain.......Good Luck....

Yes you can try Beneteau USA....I purchased the cleats from them at a very reasonable price.
Old 15-08-2007, 10:58   #8

This is the GOIOT link:

Hatch, portlight, ventilator, spare parts, porthole, window
Old 15-08-2007, 11:51   #9

avazquez, thanks for the link.

John
Old 15-08-2007, 11:59   #10

Running back stays

Hey guys, here's another question. I've never used running back stays before. Do you use yours? Sailing boat up to Canada last year, we had an accidental gybe which damaged the blocks on the starb side. At the end of last season I had the mast removed at haulout to inspect the mast and at that time I removed the backstays. This year I did not re-install them. Do you think I should replace them?

Thanks

John
Old 15-08-2007, 12:23   #11

Previous owner always used them but said they were a real pain when they were cable. He replaced them with spectra which wont stretch. Right now I am not using them but I do notice some pumping in the mast when on a beat. I will install them next week but made out of spectra also. My plan is to make them as short as posible so I can get them out of the way to the base of the mast when going down wind.
Old 15-08-2007, 12:32   #12

I know what you mean. They were always in the way. I was starting to get confused as to how to use them...surely they can't be that much trouble!

BTW do you have the older lewmar blocks on your traveler?
Old 15-08-2007, 13:08   #13

Previous owner installed some sort of custom made SS bases on each side of the traveller with blocks on top of them. It is something I will replace later on. I do have the original traveller and track. I took the traveller track to a local shop and had it anodized silver. Looks much better. The main sheet is 8 to 1 or 4 to 1 depending if you pull one or two ropes, it makes it easier. But I have hydraulic boom vang and backstay.
Old 15-08-2007, 19:21   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha John M,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. I don't know your boat as well as others but the running backs usually are set up for downwind work or with head winds more than 15. Higher winds you might consider reinstalling them and then figure out an easier method in which to use them.
Kind Regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 03:37   #15

John, thanks for the welcome. I thought I may have to re-install them at sometime in the future. Avazquez has suggested switching from cable to spectra, which I think would make for easier handling on deck.

Tags
beneteau