Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2006, 11:24   #1

New-be/Wanna-be from Central Florida

Where to start? How bout, HELLO! to all you sailing enthusiasts out there. I've been a single dad raising two beautiful girls for the last 12 years. One is now in college and the other one is currently in 11th grade. My plans are to become a live-a-board shortly after the last one is out the door. I was thinking of just selling everything and moving aboard, learning the ropes, and then taking out to the open waters. I've been thinking about this for many years now and have done some reading and a lot of surfing the net. I monitor yachtworld.com almost every day. Some would say that I was dreaming and others very positive. I'm joining this forum as a way of learning, sharing ideas, meeting new people, and helping my dream on to reality. Anyone wanting to strike up conversation is welcome. I'm just starting here so cut me some slack at first. Looking forward to really getting involved in this new endeavor.
Old 29-08-2006, 11:56   #2
Bob Norson

Mate... single Dad, raised two girls... trust me on this, sailing is going to be easy for you! You've earned it, you can do it and don't let those of limited vision talk you out of giving it a go.

My 2 cents.

Welcome.

Cheers
Old 29-08-2006, 14:22   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Welcome aboard, and good luck with your dream. No reason why it cannot be done. Take it slow and steady and learn to enjoy the process of getting to the point where you can "cast off" because, frankly, it will take a while.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2006, 15:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Welcome aboard ~ we could use another handsome gentleman.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2006, 00:47   #5

Boat: Columbia 43--Wa'a Nui
Good for you! As presented above, pay no notice to those who look to deny. This is the place for you my friend, and many friends you will find here. Truly I say, in the world of salt and sea you will find not just friends but family. The sea and the passion of sailing her creates a bond indestructable by all those nay-sayers. Push onward and as a well quoted man once said:

" Happiness is a state of going somewhere, wholeheardtedly, without regret or reservation "...it was W.H. Sheldon.

I found that little bit of inspiration tacked to the bulkhead of a recently purchased boat. I promise you my friend, with the passion of your pursuit, if you study, learn, practice, crew, experience and do, you will have that success that Thoreau say is "uncommon to men".

This is the best place to start. Cruiser's Forum is a treasure trove of invaluble experience and advice. Participate, inquiry and share. You will absorb what you need to do what you dream.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 30-08-2006, 08:16   #6

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Great to have you aboard!!! Anything I can help with, let me know, my boat is in St Pete -- take a sail with me someday, if you'd like. I could always use a sailing buddy!
PS I am doing a lot of child raising myself, by myself. Mine are still young. Don't let anyone tell you your dreams aren't coming true. I dumped a lot of things to get here and start. I don't regret any of it!
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 19:49   #7

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
You still around? I was just in Lakelamd! Let me know about a sail!
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 12:26   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha M. Cokee,
Missed you the first time around. Welcome aboard!!
Although many do it with degree of success I don't suggest you buy a boat and then learn about bluewater. My suggestion is that you try bluewater the pick out a boat that will meet your needs.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida