Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2011, 15:25   #1

Boat: 1991 Hunter Vision 36
My Husband is Nuts . . . Apparently, So Am I . . .

So my husband recently dumped the idea on me about sailing....umm okay.
So I have been trying on the idea...and so far I have to express supreme skepticism with just diving into a liveaboard lifestyle. So I have thus far been able to whittle him down a bit to (1) take a dang class or two on sailing...neither of us really know anything about it (though he grew up around motorboats) (2) research and learn about the terminology and info (3) and I want to get a boat and keep the house for a while at least to establish some idea of what the heck it's like.
Never mind our jobs, and the fact we have three dogs...ugh.
Anyhow- anyone else have one of these? I think it will be a great joy, I just think there are a TON of logistics we have yet to consider.
I do want to research the dogs, because I'm not sure how they will adapt or what...one of them will be hard pressed to stay out of the water (I dub thee shark bait)(jk).
Any experience with dogs on sailboats?
Thanks all and looking forward to trolling the forums and chats for learning and eventually becoming a traveler as well...(REALLY want to do the Bahamas)..
sj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:34   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: My husband is nuts...apparently so am I...

Here is a good post from Sunspot Baby in regards to having a dog on the boat:A_Serious_Look

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:35   #3

Boat: grampian 26

Stick around, I'm sure you'll get an earful.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:43   #4

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I suggest both of you read this book. It will answer many of your early questions:

Changing Course: A Woman's Guide to ... - Google Books

Have fun,

Paul
Paul Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:44   #5
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Welcome aboard sj.

Aren't most husbands a bit nuts, land or sea based? That's been my experience... and well, sailors are all nuts. We'd have to be to give up (even part time) the comforts of our land bases for the rocking rolling cramped damp maintenance monsters we call boats, wouldn't we?

All that said, there are beautiful sunrises and starry nights and adventures uncounted to be found aboard a boat... sometimes while at dock even.

I think your plan to program your introduction into manageable chunks is a good one.

I suggest that you search your immediate area for a small unpretentious yacht club (yes, such things do exist ; -) and join. You will find a group of friendly folk who love nothing more than drawing unsuspecting newbies into the degradation and debasement that boat addiction is... really, junkies are not happy until everyone around them is well and truly hooked also!

You will make friends and have chances to learn to sail.

Once you are sure that sailing is for you get a small starter boat for a year or so of sailing. By the end of that year you will know so much more about what you like and don't like and what you need from a boat. It will make the next step, if you choose to take it, to a bigger boat, much more intelligent.

And most dogs love the water. I have sailed with Irish Setters for my whole life. They all are soggy bottomed sailors of the best kind. The details are manageable. And while 3 might seem like a lot of canine on board they do curl up in their places and depending on their ages at this point, you might (sadly) not have all 3 by the time you are ready to cruise.

This is a take it one step at a time project, which you seem to have already grasped. It's a one problem/challenge at a time kinda thing too. You can get there from here ; -)

And the women afloat forum might be a good place to start.

Best of luck!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:54   #6

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"

I pulled this bit on my wife not too long ago! Thanks for being open and checking into the idea. We sailed for a while on a 36 footer with a 140 pound Chocolate lab. He did well and grew to love the boat.
Spencer
Old 23-04-2011, 16:25   #7

Wow you guys are fast! LOVING the responses. Thanks so much! I have to say, I relish the idea of truly relaxing....so I am looking forward to this adventure. Nice to know puppies would likely do alright...they are ages 10, 3, and we THINK 3 (she's a fairly recent addition). Checking yacht and sailing groups/clubs...lots of info.
Old 23-04-2011, 16:26   #8

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

It was me had the idea to move aboard the sailboat full time. My husband said we "Can't do that". I said "We can do whatever we want in that regard." that was nine years ago.
We both had been sailing before...him since a child me for a couple of years.
My point is...you never know. We had a boat first, sailing her every week, taking two week runs on her. then we moved to a larger boat, after the move aboard discussion.
My dog died at fourteen and never liked sailing, she did however like to be wherever we were. Dogs can be worked out.
Fair Winds
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 16:27   #9

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Where do you live? Do you plan to keep working at your jobs and commute from your liveaboard boat? Or transform into digital nomads? (Wish I could manage that one.) There are infinite degrees of cruising, from occasional overnights to decades of bluewater sailing. Liveaboards likewise can be tied to the dock all their lives, or living aboard while traveling the world. You can start at one end of the spectrum and work your way to whatever point makes you happiest.

And yes, your husband is crazy, in a very good way.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 16:33   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: My husband is nuts...apparently so am I...

Known loadsa folks who've had dogs and cruised widely in Europe... going outside presents problems... but of the man made variety...
Dogs generally would rather be sea sick than left behind... and they get to love the dinghy rides... try shifting em from the bow when your banging along....
Welcome to CF... aint crazy hubbies great... n crazy wives fantastic...
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 16:35   #11

We live in the Tampa bay area of Florida... Ideally suited for water life...I have always had a love of water and tropical environs..sadly neither of us could realistically give up our jobs right now (although I think my husband would argue this point). He is wonderful and always full of suprises...this one is no less an adventure than others he has come up with...I'm a bit more conservative and chicken little..I really appreciate everyones inputs...good stuff....maybe one day liveaboard full time...I sure relish the idea of hopping on the boat and taking off.... somewhat jealous of those of you who are able to do it now.... Many thanks
Old 23-04-2011, 16:54   #12

I had a schipperke. Darn things are bred for boats. Getting her off the boat and to a place with a yard (different owner) is probably the best thing I ever did for her.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 16:55   #13

SJ

I am fortunate, my wife suggested the idea to the boys and I.

We have been focusing our time the past six months studying, reading, training, taking classes and learning as much as we can.

We are years away from departure, too much real estate and posessions to disposes of.

I would suggest joining a local sailing club and trying out the boating life.

Oh, by the way, watch out for Mount Wannahakalugee!

Fair winds,
DJ
Coolruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 17:42   #14

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top

It is a process ... my BF introduced me to sailing on a 28' daysailing boat and I loved it ... but I told him if he wanted me to go on longer trips I wanted a larger boat with proper kitchen. Now we have 33' boat with galley. So the advice people have given to start with small boat is how it went with us. We have dreams of long-term cruising but these dreams are based-on a 3-5 year plan vis a vis finances, minimalizing stuff requirements and all that. Good luck to you!
NatKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 17:50   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
There are many cruisers with pets aboard. Hope you can adapt too.
kind regards,