Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 21:42   #1

Introduction . . . Circumnavigation After 15 Years

Hello folks,

Just wanted to drop in, say hello and introduce myself to the group. Have been stalking these boards for awhile now and looking at various topics and there seems to be a pretty awesome and knowledgable group here.

I do not currently own a boat, but I grew up in Pennsylvania on the Delaware River and thus spent alot of time on boats in my youth. I also was taught how to sail by a dear a friend of mine (who passed away a couple years ago now) and spent many hours on an O'Day 27 and a Hunter 35 back then. Was alot of lake sailing in the O'Day and bay an coastal sailing in the Hunter.

It has now been about 15 years since I have sailed - but I have finally convinced my wife that a circumnavigation is in order - and she agreed! Sweet! So anyway, we're putting together a plan and a budget to accomplish this - the desire to live the life of a sailing couple, as difficult as it may be, now outweighs the desire to stay ashore and stuck in the rat-race any longer - I am 42 already and want to get underway soon! =) We're looking at about a 3.5-5 year plan for our departure - and about 2.5 years for buying a boat (boat budget will top out at about 200 - 250k overall - either sailaway or a bargain re-fit, but of course we will hopefully find something that won't suck up the whole budget, so that we can add some back to the kitty (150k budgeted) to keep us going for the trip. Looking probably in the 40-45 foot range for length.

Anyway, I have rambled enough for this introduction, but I can blab forever - I am sure you will all get pretty sick of me soon enough! LOL

Fair winds and fine seas!

Jack
phunkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 22:10   #2
Ita

Boat: CAL 36
welcome on board!
Old 07-08-2010, 22:40   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Sounds like a good plan. You plan is kind of like mine. I started my circumnavigation what I was 47 years old, and eleven years later it was done. Hopefully I will be quicker next time.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 23:34   #4

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. Welcome aboard. Give some thought to starting the circumnavigation from New Zealand. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 00:30   #5
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Always great to hear from stalkers ;-)

Good luck for you guys with your adventure - I'm sure the right boat will come along at just the right time.

Mods: Is it possible to add in a ticker (like those they have on weightloss sites) for the bottom of our posts so we can count down to when we go? Or come back? Or to count up the sea miles?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:17   #6

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Welcome aboard.

I hope the numbers work for you. Now is a good time to buy a boat with lots of motivated sellers out there.

We spent two years of active looking in the market for the right boat at the right price but it was time well spent.

Go for it.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 11:46   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
For a couple I think 36 or at the very largest 38 would be a good choice. There are lots of other things to consider like hull construction (fiberglass), deck layout (aft cockpit), auxiliary (diesel), keel shape (long or fin).
Good luck on making your plans come about.
regards,

Tags
circumnavigation