Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2008, 09:00   #1

Boat: Kanter Atlantic 45
Information on a Kanter Atlantic 45, 1987

I just purchased a Kanter Atlantic 45 (1987), with a few rust holes is the bottom. These rust spots are only where water dripped for years, like under the head/ shower, galley sink, anchor locker ect. The rest of the bottom is perfect, inside and out. I started out thinking I should patch the holes, but now I,m going to take out the floor and cut out the bad spots/sandblast and weld in new metal. I have been told the builder (Kanter) is one of the best in the world? The motor is a volvo penta TMD 30 A (90 hp). The boat is in the great lakes, and the former owner did No maintence. I have been looking for info on the boat and motor , like history, problems, what to watch for, any info about this boat and motor would be really helpful. I have a big project ahead, and any tips on attacking this project would be helpful. It also has a teak deck, so far it looks perfect, but I think I should glass it over before its developes a leak, any leak in this boat is going to be dangerous, do I really need to take all the teak off the deck if its in good condition, can I just lay 24 ounces of glass over it with west system? Also can I replace the steel water tanks with stainless when I have the floor out? thanks for your time . atlantic high
atlantic high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 09:46   #2

Hi Atlantic ...
this is the "greet and meet" thread, I don't know if you will get any satisfying answers here ...
anyway: welcome and have fun on this board ...
beachgirl1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 05:27   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
AH, Kanter does indeed have a great reputation as a builder. While I do not have any personal experience with the Kanter 45, I have owned a steel pilothouse cutter and therefore can make a few suggestions:

1. Rust is not the result of water 'dripping'; rather, it is undoubtedly the result of water being trapped. Once the floor is removed, you may want to ensure that there are adequate limber holes in the problem areas.
2. If there are actual holes through the plating, I would want the entire hull assessed by an expert. There are likely other areas where the plating is thin, even if no actual holes have developed.
3. Teak decks are much less of a concern on a steel boat - leaks will not lead to delamination as they do in frp/composite construction. I would definitely NOT encapsulate the teak with glass and epoxy: apart from the weight, you will only be sealing in any rust (and moisture between the deck and the teak), exacerbating the problem. Are you able to remove the headliner in order to inspect under the decks/house? This should enable you to assess the extent of any problems. If you are still concerned, I would remove all the teak, weld the screw holes, grind smooth and then sandblast and paint - a very time-consuming task, to be sure.

Good luck. As I recall, the original Kanter 45 was a Ted Brewer design and should prove to be a very capable cruiser.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 09:18   #4

Boat: Bayfield 40' Silent Running
If you're in the great lakes why not go to Port Stanley in lake Erie that is where Kanter launches his boats and have him look at it. His shop is or was in St Thomas Ontario. I seen many of his boats as I sailed out of Port Stanley to sail the Caribbean a few years ago. Good luck with your project
d0ug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 10:20   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug View Post
If you're in the great lakes why not go to Port Stanley in lake Erie that is where Kanter launches his boats and have him look at it. His shop is or was in St Thomas Ontario...t
Quite right. Kanter builds in St. Thomas, and launches in Port Stanley.

Kanter Yachts (Manfred Kanter)
9 Barrie Boulevard
St. Thomas, Ontario
Canada N5P 4B9
Tel: 519 633 1058
Fax: 519 633 8138
Email: sales@kanteryachts.com

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote