Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2008, 21:35   #1

I KNOW NOTHING!!!

hey,

i am completely oblivious to the sailing world, i mean, i have no idea what anything is or how to do anything. all i know is that i want to learn how to sail and after i graduate college live on a sailboat for a few years. i figured that going to online forums would be the first step (thats what iv done for jeeps and fishing as well).

i just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Sam and i go to school in myrtle beach, sc. my father says there is no reason why i dont have a boat already due to the distance i live from the beach (~9miles).

i know there is so much to learn about sailing and i want to learn as much as possible. what are some of the first steps i could take? is sailing for dummies a reasonable first option?

thanks,
Sam
gt2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 21:52   #2

Welcome,
I was where you are - in terms of being new to sailing - 8 years ago. Now I just bought a bought a couple of months ago and am planning on cruising. I guess what I'm saying is that it's pretty addictive
If you can take a basic sailing course I'd recommend it, and two books to start with that I'd recommend are :
Sailing Fundamentals, Gary Jobson
Annapolis Book of Seamanship, John Rousmaniere

I'm sure you'll get other good suggestions too.

I had the luxury of spending a lot of time on OPBs, (other people's boats.) You'll find if you get involved that people need crew, and there's no better way to learn than sailing with people who have experience.

Good luck
sgtPluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 22:06   #3

thanks, ill look into those books...
Old 28-06-2008, 03:21   #4

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt2fish View Post

i know there is so much to learn about sailing and i want to learn as much as possible. what are some of the first steps i could take? is sailing for dummies a reasonable first option?
I like books as you can compress a lifetime of learning into a few hundred pages. But learning to sail from book is like learning judo in the same way. You can get a rough idea but the important stuff you won't know when you need to know it because you'll have no physical memory to draw from.

So, I would say to check and see if your school has a sailing club or class(es). That would be a good first start.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 16:55   #5

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
If you truly know nothing you have a great opportunity to fill in the blanks
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 17:09   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
figured that going to online forums would be the first step (thats what iv done for jeeps and fishing as well).
You can fish on a boat but leave the jeep some place - not with a friend. Wanting something is the first step. The key is to go beyond wanting and get to planning to do it. Wanting to do something is not really enough. I don't buy any of that you can do anything if you want to nonsense. You have to be prepared to be successful. Learning and learning while doing is just a great way to be prepared with any type of sailing. Perhaps more like fishing than jeeps.

Take some sailing lessons! Find a Friend with a boat. Take sailing lessons and meet people that sail. Learn how to talk sailing (you can do that here too).
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 22:00   #7

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
since you know nothing - here goes an important lessen- one I knew well but forgot this morning- always be paranoid about dock lines and other lines falling into water while motor is running- if water is cold always carry wet suit knife and hack saw blade- and diving mask- learn how to sail your boat into (not literally) a dock , as I had to do this am when stern line wrapped prop in marina freeway.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 18:08   #8

thanks for the advice...dually noted
Old 29-06-2008, 18:26   #9

Boat: Catalina 27 "Ruthie M"
Aside from the previously mentioned books, "Sailing for Dummies" isn't a bad start either. It's a nice way to learn the terminology of sailing and all its parts.

One thing I've discovered is that there are so many terms and quips we all use on a daily basis that came from sailing ships and boats.

"The whole nine yards"
"Know/Learn the ropes"
"Three sheets to the wind"
"Son of a gun"
"Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey"

I think, and I'm sure others will agree, you'll either love sailing or hate it. I have been around boats most of my life but am new to sailboats. I was addicted the first time out.

Good luck to you.
Geoff_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 22:22   #10

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I'll echo the other welcomes and wish you good luck on realising the dream.
JOHN
Old 11-07-2008, 13:02   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sam,
Welcome aboard! Another book, Start Sailing Right! is a really good one.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 14:34   #12

Welcome

I learned to sail as a kid. So, I'm not a good source for books, but I'm a firm believer in them and other sources of information. Read as much as you can; take courses; and find a way to spend time on the water.

The truth is that you can learn to sail in a weekend. You can become reasonably skilled and competent in a few weeks. The rest is weather, navigation, experience, troubleshooting, repair, maintenance, dealing with 'surprises', and attitude. You will either love it or you won't.

My wife had virtually no sailing experience until about a month before we crossed over to the Bahamas a few years ago. Three months later she single handed us to and through a difficult entrance to Samana Cay while I was sick and useless below deck. Sailing is not hard - making it happen is. And this is especially true for liveaboard cruising because it inevitably involves compromises - the trick is not to think of them as sacrifices.

Fair Winds
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 15:38   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post

The truth is that you can learn to sail in a weekend. You can become reasonably skilled and competent in a few weeks.
Our club manager prides himself on getting people sailing solo in 10 minutes. He teaches 5 commands.

Sheet In
Sheet Out
Push Rudder
Pull Rudder

I forget the 5th one. Amybe it's not needed - LOL.

Then he pushes them off the shore in an Access dinghy solo. He shouts at them for about 10 minutes after which he leaves them to their own devices.

Saililng is easy
Sailing fast is harder
Sailing fast and getting where you want to go is a b*tch
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 15:45   #14

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead
Be smart, buy a trawler and cruise in comfort. You'll meet a ton of used to be sailors too.

If you want to sail first, just keep it in the back of your mind. I fish off mine and it is very economical. Granted, not as economical as a sailboat, but much better than other powered vessels.

But most of all, enjoy the water, we are all sailors and as such we are in the best group of fun loving, generous, happy, and hard working people on the planet....did.I leave out partying? We PARTY!!!
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote