Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2012, 12:04   #1

Boat: True North 34
Hi from Vancouver...

I've been lurking these forums for a few weeks now, trying to get a general feel for things. Yesterday, we wired the funds for our new boat, a True North 34 and we will be taking possession next Tuesday (photos in the Gallery).

Tha last time I lived on a boat was between 1985 and 1988 in the Isle of Wight. Lots of interesting characters, including Reg Freeman and his wife, who were living aboard his own design wooden ketch. She was a beautiful boat. Reg didn't do much sailing at that point as the couple were pretty advanced in years.

I was living aboard a Carter 33 with my wife to be, planning to do a world trip within six months... until I heard the magic words, "I'm pregnant". That put paid to those plans and I got all sensible, bought a house, took promotion and settled into home life on land.

I'm living in Canada now and have been for the past thirteen years, up in the snowy north. I've tried to make do with lake boats, snowmobiles, ATVs and Dirt Bikes but have missed the sea terribly. I haven't sailed for twenty years but managed to get my RYA coastal and offshore back in the day, with lots of trips to the near continent in a Corribee 21, Elizabethan 29 and the Carter 33.

So, I've been retired a month and we are currently selling off everything not boat connected, including the house, which will probably take a while if we want to get decent prices.

The True North was lived on for ten years by her previous owners and is in very nice shape. She is a solid, blue water boat with a surprising turn of speed, with her 30' waterline and fine entry for a double ender. The design is based on a sailing workboat rather than a lifeboat, so she goes to windward rather better than an Atkins design... or so I'm told.

Anyway, great to be here and look forward to comparing adventures in the future.
Knapweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 12:32   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Hi from Vancouver...

Hello Knapweed, welcome to CF. And congrats on the True North 34. I've never had the privilege of sailing one, but they have great reputations as solid, bluewater boats. My Rafiki 37 is also a Stan Huntingford design, so I know they are great boats.

Here's to getting out there!
Old 20-04-2012, 13:45   #3

Hi Mike. Thanks for the welcome. The Rafiki 37 was one of the boats on our short list. She's a fine Blue Water cruiser but there weren't any to view in the Vancouver area at the time.

I think I read elsewhere in the forum that you're on the East Coast. Have you done any long-distance hauls in her?
Old 20-04-2012, 14:19   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapweed View Post
I think I read elsewhere in the forum that you're on the East Coast. Have you done any long-distance hauls in her?
Not quite. We're based out of Thunder Bay, on Lake Superior. So we sail the Great Lakes these days, and mostly the north shore of Superior. I've sailed out of Vancouver heading north, and the terrain and remoteness is very similar to L. Superior. You'd like it here (if you like it there).

Superior is about 350 nm across, and about 160 nm wide, so the longest duration we've done is about 40 hours. Hopefully this year we'll be doing some longer stretches (zig-zagging across the Lake). Our two-year plan has us sailing out the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence to the Maritimes. Then probably over the NFLD and eventually south.
Old 20-04-2012, 17:20   #5

Ahh... Gitche Gumee of Edmund Fitzgerald fame. That was a tragic episode. I understand storms can flare up at a moment's notice with short, steep seas. Have you had any scary moments on the great lake, not that you would have any problems with your boat. I imagine she could take anything the lake could throw at her.
Old 20-04-2012, 17:43   #6
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Welcome fellow Vancouverite. Lots of good stuff on this site. Hope to see you out there some day.
Old 20-04-2012, 18:21   #7

Hi DRS, I will be a Vancouverite soon I hope, currently I'm in the frozen North west of Prince George. The boat will remain in Coal Harbour Marina for the next three months but I'm going to be checking out the Island for the summer.
Old 20-04-2012, 18:38   #8

Quote:
Ahh... Gitche Gumee of Edmund Fitzgerald fame. That was a tragic episode. I understand storms can flare up at a moment's notice with short, steep seas. Have you had any scary moments on the great lake, not that you would have any problems with your boat. I imagine she could take anything the lake could throw at her.
Oh, just the normal stuff, but you're right that sailing can be challenging on these Great Lakes. Especially so on Superior. We've got the complex and constantly variable continental weather, very cold water, and a body of water that is large enough to build some very large seas. Yup, it can be "fun."

But I envy you on the west coast. You've got some stunningly beautiful cruising grounds. You're not swamped with boats (at least not as you head north), and you can be in the water year round. We're just starting to get our boats ready over here. Probably won't be in until end of May. Ah well...

Fair winds. Enjoy the new (old) boat.
Old 20-04-2012, 18:51   #9
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

I'm a Canuck as well. Originally from the Prairies and then Vancouver. I'm in MDR right and have just purchased a Cal 34. Good luck with your boat. I'll be following your posts and am anxious to hear all about your progress.
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 19:37   #10

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Hi from just south of you ,were on the Columbia river. Good luck on your new boat purchase.
Old 20-04-2012, 19:42   #11

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Welcome fellow BC'er,,,your gonna love Vancouver Island and all the island in between.
Stay well,,have fun,,see ya on the waves somewhere's..

Quote:
Hi DRS, I will be a Vancouverite soon I hope, currently I'm in the frozen North west of Prince George. The boat will remain in Coal Harbour Marina for the next three months but I'm going to be checking out the Island for the summer.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 21:13   #12

Welcome fellow Canuck

The PNW is a spectacular place to sail.

Just be wary of the tides and currents, especially in the passes.

Enjoy your exploring, I am heading around Vancouver Island in July; we might see you along the way.

BTW -welcome to IALA System B.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 21:56   #13

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Welcome aboard fellow Canuck. I am on the other side of the Straits of Georgia. Spend the summer months between Victoria and Port Hardy. Lots of nice anchorages and cruising grounds.
Old 20-04-2012, 23:26   #14

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28

Welcome and congrats! I am headed to Desolation Sound first window we get in May/June want to tag along?

Cheers!
eliems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 01:48   #15

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Now you will remember what true poverty is all about!. Prince Rupert is the North West . You are in the middle of no where in PG..

ENjoy and Prosper LOL
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote