Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 15:24   #1

Hello. New to forum

Hello
Nice informative site.
Am an eastern Canadaian, recently moved from west coast. Did both small craft sailing as well as 40 foot ketch liveaboard sailing as well. All on west coast. Always toyed with the idea of offshore cruising. One thing led to another several business ventures and three kids later, have now made our way to eastern Canada (with 3 boys, 8,14,18.) and that darn offshore dream has come back again. Everyone seem's keen on the trip, but now I'm wondering what I've got myself into!
Between schooling the 8, and 14 year old (18 year old is graduating this year), and a rather messy geo political scene, I wonder if my timing is right.
That and being trapped on board for extended cruises with teenagers makes me wonder.
Decision time is coming and it certainly isn't easy.
Any comments forum members have regarding this subject and others I may have even thought of would be appreciated.
Leesureman
leesureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 16:15   #2

Boat: currently "on the beach"
I'm amazed you have teenagers that are interested ! All other issues can be solved. Welcome.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 17:50   #3

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
You moved in the wrong direction

You are suppose to move from east to west, not back again. Your punishment is all that snow around you!!

We had an incredibly wet winter however we now have one of the worst ones under our belt. I'm typing this from Qualicum Beach on the Island; passed some sail boats out when I came over on the ferry about a week ago.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 17:53   #4

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22

First thing to do is move out West again, like RSN48 said. If things go according to plan I will be somewhere out there later this year.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 18:11   #5

Jim Morrison once whispered in the wind

Quote:
The West Is The Best...Give In, And We'll Do The Rest!!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 18:11   #6

Moving out west again would be option 2.
Our proposed plans are to buy a east coast boat, sail the east coast this summer, preparing the crew and getting the boat properly outfitted, then cruising to the Carib late fall after the nasty season.
Spend winter cruising, then the canal in Feb, deciding during first winter to either head up the coast to BC (option 2), or continue the voyage to the South Pacific.(option 1).
It would all depend on how the kids enjoyed it.
KWL
Old 02-03-2006, 09:05   #7

Boat: 1966 13' Catboat
Wink

These westies don't know what they're taking about. I don't know where you are in eastern Canada but the maritimes are pretty mild in the winter. I grew up spending summers in St Andrews, NB. Great place to be- it's the real Maine!
Back to your original question, Go now! You'e lucky to have the kids the ages they are now. That's 3 crewmen! My wife and I will cut bow lines, our kids will be 10, 8, & 5. More of a liability than an asset sailing wise. Good luck!
Old 02-03-2006, 09:26   #8

This is my first winter out east. Apparently I picked a good one. It's been pretty mild.The locals love telling me how much snow we didn't get!

I agree about out east, being in Nova Scotia and looking at the available coastline, several seasons could be spent just cruising here. It's the chilly winter interuptions that make me want to go tropical.

Regarding my crew,(the boys) they're not yet trained, albeit we've done several major family trips, RVing, and power boating and we all seem to do best when "on the road".

Now it's just finding the right boat, and we're off!
Kerry
Old 06-03-2006, 14:47   #9

Boat: Got none but want one.
My first post as a registered person. I too find the east coast an alright place. The winters are just too darn cold... that there in my opinion is enough reason to head south.
Cavecreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 14:54   #10
Bob Norson

Cold?? Snow?? whats that?? Looks like either one of those coasts sucks. When it gets below 25C here... I sail with UGG boots on... my secret, don't tell anyone.

The greatest thing for a family is a boat I think. The best life experience.

cheers
Old 06-03-2006, 15:09   #11

Its been a really and I mean really mild year so far. It didnt even reach -20c until Febuary. Unfortunately anything under 20c makes me wish I was on a beach somewhere warmer. I dont think you people in Australia know just how lucky you are! If you ever arn't happy with Australia for some strange reason beyond reason... come visit the east coast in Feb. for a few weeks

Cheers!
Old 06-03-2006, 15:17   #12
Bob Norson

This Aussie knows very well what he has cause he was born in Brainerd Minnesota, during a huge blizzard (I am told) but had the good sense to "Go Troppo" as we locals say, many years ago. I am delighted to report that I now have so vague a recolection of the stuff that I would probably confuse a snow shovel with a sex toy!
Old 08-03-2006, 14:24   #13

heh... ok
Old 08-03-2006, 15:56   #14

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Snow

Just started snowing again here. November December January were nice, then it got cold in late February and now snow in March. First race was last Sunday. I should be ready in 2 or 3 weeks. The paint does not dry to good when it is chilly.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:55   #15

MIKE C

Those are my old haunts. Lived in Vernon for 7 years, and cruised the lakes a bit. Not quite the same as my 20 years on the BC coast however.
Waters not as salty!
Love the Okanagan though!
Kerry