Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2008, 22:00   #1

Hello from Vancouver, BC

Hey there

Just dropped into this forum to fill my mind with the boundless knowledge that resides here. Just to give you a plan on my sailing ambitions...

1) I'd like to take a week long live-aboard sailing course next summer. I've researched online and they seem to run from 1200-2000$ here in Vancouver. Any locals have a recommendation?

2) I'd like to buy myself a boat capable of sailing the coastal areas of British Columbia, Washington and Oregon. What size boat, and what setup is required to do this? I'd like something that's week-endable. Oh, and CHEAP.

3) Once I'm married, and have the requisite sailing skills and experience I'd like to try my hand at building my own cruiser. I'm a RV builder by trade (currently taking school, RV business is my fathers and I grew up in it) so I'm no foreigner to both wood and fibreglass construction methods. I build laminates of said materials every day at work, as well as finish carpentry and cabinetry. Throw in upholstery and gas/electric systems and I think I'm well set in the skills department. What kind of boats have people built? I'd like to build something capable of long term cruising Down the Baja, and into the sea of cortez. What length boat is required (read comfortable) for a couple doing a thing like this?

Thanks again for all the powers-at-be do, and thanks to the community for already making this place a worthwhile venture for me!

Bryan
Mathil is offline   Reply With Quote