Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2006, 14:30   #1

Boat: Bayliner 2556
Hello from the Pacific

Craig and Vivian Harlamoff live in Santa Cruz Ca and have spent several weeks a year cruising the San Francisco Bay and Delta Region. I enjoy learning from the old salts on these forums.

The conditions here are quite a bit different than the East Coast. We consider "good" weather to be heavy fog with less than 6' of swell. Typically, we will see the fog cleared in the afternoon by a 20-30 knott westerly that contirnues until the evening, when, the wind backs around and blows hard out of the East.

The waters are a deep green color with temps in the 50s.

Vivi and I enjoy cruising the San Francisco bay because the waters are relitively calm and the weather is warm. The cities are nice and the marinas clean. The upper Delta allows some solitute while anchoring out in back waters.

Please feel free to write me if you have questions about the areas.

We are currently cruising on an ancient 25' Bayliner and hope to get into a 40'er in the coming years.
Craig Harlamoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2006, 14:50   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hello Craig and Vivian:

Welcome! This is a very nice forum with knowledgable and decent folks. I have a boat on the Bay as well. My family and I currently live up in the foothills and sail the boat only occasionally. It is in a charter program at OCSC. I used to sail the bay alot but with family and being in the middle of building a house we don't have the time that I used to. Welcome aboard.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2006, 15:09   #3

Hello Craig & Vivian.

Welcome to the famous cruisersforum.

I plan to relocate to the Delta at the end of this year. Providing that "pigs don't start flying", and "hell doesn't freeze over?"

There are alot of seasoned salts on this site. And there is always knowledge being revealed. And bashed on here daily.

I will be sending you a "private message" pretty soon. Asking you all sorts of questions about San Franisisco Bay and the Delta.

Welcome aboard.:cubalibre

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2006, 15:43   #4

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Sometime you might want to bring your boat up into British Columbia waters and moor it here for a year. There are 6000 Islands along the coast of BC so you would have much to explore. You'd fly up for some long weekends, or longer; then a long vacation; finally returning your boat to California.

You'd be surprised at how many Americans do this. Or if you wish to keep your boat in American waters, you'll see a funny point of land called "Point Roberts" that only has access through BC, but its part of the state of Washington. You can moor your boat there, and your only a very short hop to the Gulf Islands for your shorter adventures, heading North for your longer adventures.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2006, 16:07   #5

Boat: Bayliner 2556
I spent some time in and around the Washington. The beauty of the Sound and the waters toward BC are magnificant. I look forward to the chance to cruise those waters.
Craig Harlamoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2006, 16:28   #6
Kai Nui

Craig and Vivian, Welcome. I am down the bay in Moss Landing. Glad to have you aboard.
Old 29-05-2006, 19:41   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Craig and Vivian,
Welcome aboard. Have cruised the waters of SF Bay aboard a Navy Destroyer (too fast sometimes) but never by sail. I hope to do that in a couple of years.
You'll find the folks here friendly and informative.
Kind Regards, John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2006, 19:54   #8

Boat: Tayana 48
Welcome from Napa. Maybe a "West Coast Raft-Up" is in order. Ayala Cove on Angel Island (San Francisco Bay) is a great spot...any takers for later this summer?
Again, Welcome.
John
Old 29-05-2006, 19:57   #9

What month during the summer are you reffering too, John?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 29-05-2006, 20:05   #10
Kai Nui

I'm in! I'll bring the Port.
Old 29-05-2006, 20:09   #11

Kai.

You're not reffering to bringing Moss Landing up north are you? Or are you reffering to alcohol here?

Old 29-05-2006, 20:18   #12
Kai Nui

K, to save you the trouble of repeating the same question I have posted the following definition from wikipedia.com:

Port wine
(also Porto wine) is sweet, fortified wine from the Douro Valley in the northern part of Portugal; it takes its name from the city of Oporto, the centre of port export and trading. Port has been made in Portugal since the mid 15th Century. Port became very popular in England after the Methuen Treaty of 1703, when merchants were permitted to import it at a low duty, while war with France deprived English wine drinkers of French wine. The continued English involvement in the port trade can be seen in the names of many port shippers: Croft, Taylor, Dow, Graham, Symington. Similar wines, often also called "Port", are made in several other countries, notably Australia, South Africa, India and the United States. It has been made in and around St. Augustine, Florida since the mid 16th Century. In some nations, including Canada, after a phase-in period, and the countries of the European Union, only the product from Portugal may be labeled as "port." In the United States, the Portuguese product, by Federal law pursuant to a treaty with Portugal, must be labeled "Porto" or "Vinho do Porto" for differentiation.
Port wine is typically thicker, richer, sweeter, and possesses a higher alcohol content than most other wines. This is caused by the addition of distilled grape spirits (such as brandy) to fortify the wine and halt fermentation before all the sugar is converted to alcohol. It is commonly served after meals as a dessert wine, or with cheese. In France, white port is served as an apéritif. It has an alcohol by volume content of roughly 18% to 20%.
Wine with less than 16% ethanol cannot protect itself against spoilage if exposed to air; with an alcohol content of 18% or higher, port wine can safely be stored in wooden casks that 'breathe', thereby permitting the fine aging of port wine. (In contrast, wines with only a slightly lesser fortified alcohol content of 15% to 17.5% are considered to be sherry, formerly known as 'sack'.)
Old 29-05-2006, 20:19   #13

Boat: Tayana 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainK
What month during the summer are you reffering too, John?
Well, that depends on the conditions that everyone wants...if you want 15 knot mornings, 30+ knot afternoons, and 4 knots of ebb and flood, choose a month without an "R" in it. IOTOH you want 10 knot mornings and 15-18 knot afternoons with 2-3 knots of tidal current, we can do September or October.
What say you, Capt K ??

Kai...You supply the port, I'll bring along some tasty rums. Sounds like this has potential...

Fair Winds,
John
Old 29-05-2006, 20:20   #14

AHHHH!!!

"I see!!!" Said the blind man. To his poor deaf buddy.

Kai. I was being a smartass!! Hee Hee!!

John.

I believe October sounds good to me!! Sorry, that's when I move out there. Hopefully?

Old 29-05-2006, 20:26   #15
Kai Nui

Meridian, I would love to catch some southerlys, otherwise it is a long trip north. The westerlys do not come into play until the potato patch so it is a long hard beat with the normal northwesterlys that blow all summer.