Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2009, 05:51   #1

Hello from Maryland!

Hey everyone,
My name is John and I'm active duty military and moved to Maryland, about 20 minutes from Annapolis, a year ago. Our work has a sailing club and so my wife and I joined for $20/year and it included sailing lessons so we did a day of classroom then went out on a 44' sloop on another day. After that I was pretty hooked and I found that I could charter boats out of the Naval Academy for pretty cheap because I am military but, they need some kind of credentials. After looking around my wife and I did a weekend at a bed and breakfast and got our basic keelboat certification through US Sailing. So now I want to do a handful of day sails out of Annapolis and maybe look at getting my own boat sometime in the future. I figured I'd join an online forum to socialize with other sailors (who are probably much more experienced) and maybe learn some more about sailing and the Chesapeake area.

John
myjay610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 07:06   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO35
a great sailing area, takes me back to my misspent youth, oh and welcome from one newcomer to another

"Only Robinson Crusoe gets all his jobs done by Friday"
Iota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 05:31   #3

Welcome aboard John. From your intro, sounds like you are in the right place at the right time. Hopefully this forum can assist you as you continue your quest for knowledge and experience. Good luck and enjoy the Fall sailing.
Old 30-09-2009, 11:16   #4

Welcome John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjay610 View Post
Hey everyone,
My name is John and I'm active duty military and moved to Maryland, about 20 minutes from Annapolis, a year ago. Our work has a sailing club and so my wife and I joined for $20/year and it included sailing lessons so we did a day of classroom then went out on a 44' sloop on another day. After that I was pretty hooked and I found that I could charter boats out of the Naval Academy for pretty cheap because I am military but, they need some kind of credentials. After looking around my wife and I did a weekend at a bed and breakfast and got our basic keelboat certification through US Sailing. So now I want to do a handful of day sails out of Annapolis and maybe look at getting my own boat sometime in the future. I figured I'd join an online forum to socialize with other sailors (who are probably much more experienced) and maybe learn some more about sailing and the Chesapeake area.

John
RossP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:00   #5

Boat: Maine Cat 41
John,

You are in the hotbed of sailing. Look into SpinSheet magazine if you are interested in crewing on someone else's boat or want to get some good ideas on some of the neat sailing activities on the Chesapeake.

Fair Winds,
Mike & Susan
(former Chesapeake sailors)
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:22   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
One of the ships I was stationed on pulled into Annapolis and I wandered around the area. Great place for boats and sailing. I took out a rental from the base and had a good time even though the wind was nearly nonexistent that day. I also traveled up to visit a friend who was an instructor at the Academy a couple of times.
Doesn't the Academy (U. S. Naval Sailing Association) have sail training? It is a military organization so would offer lessons at a good price if it is still in existence I just don't know if they offer to all military but it is a good place to check. I once was a member and they offered the best training around.
regards,
Old 07-10-2009, 11:23   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Oh, and thanks for your service. It is greatly appreciated.
regards,
Old 07-10-2009, 11:27   #8

Boat: Albin Ballad; 1978; 30'-00" "SVINT II"
Hi John.
I beklieve that there is still a race every Wednesday afternoon with the finish line right in downtown Annap. You may want to check around Bert Jabins Yard, they are always looking for crew on boats leaving from there.

Tags
Maryland