Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2014, 12:22   #1

Hello! Beginner Sailor Here!

In other words...a dreamer!

Looking for words of wisdom, inspiration, advice... maybe an analysis on my plan. :-)

Im a 23 year old guy living inland about an hour from boston Newport and Portsmouth.
Ive always had a love for the ocean, having been surfing since 14. In my journeys surfing Ive been to baja, san diego, Washington...all places I dream to visit again someday...on my boat! (I dont own a boat, let alone have I ever been sailing)
I was recently inspired watching laura dekkers documentary...a 14 y.o girl who circumnavigated the world alone.
I cant wait to escape the expectations of society... the allure of living off the ocean, fishing, surfing, writing, is all too magnetizing for me to resist.
I picked up slocums novel and am intrigued.
Looking into classes of course, studying hard, and also interested in finding people potentially willing to have me out and maybe show me the ropes.
Im currently stuck in a cubicle day to day bringing in 50k marketing. This pays the bills basically.
My plan: I know, cliche, I've learned the stock market though and will begin investing and "swing trading" soon as I have the extra g to start.
Also saving to establish a non profit which will give people the opportunity to donate to a selection of charities by signing on to use clean energy. For profit philanthropy!
Once my credits back on track I plan to invest in a 3-4 family and hire a management company. By then I should afford a comfortable boat and hopefully have enough experience by then to man it alone.
I like how the niagra looks, and so far my ultimate seemingly attainable semi short term goal...a new hunter cc maybe 40'. As I mentioned..dreaming!

Im very driven and excitedly working to make this happen. It seems theres nothing better to experience and ive got to attain that.

Anyways, ive been following the forum for a couple months and it feels like family ;-) so..nice to meet you all fam!

Any response is appreciated; how you got started, what worked for you, etc.

Thank you all

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
coral_bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 15:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello! Beginner Sailor Here!

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, coral bound.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 21:26   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Welcome aboard Coral Bound...

Here is the straight skinny - You are about to get led down the corporate garden path and you will never go sailing. Unsolicited opinion and advice to follow - I wish someone had told me this...

- You state you have a $50k a year job and are basically just paying bills. $50k a month is a lot of money for a young person with no entanglements but you are already addicted to "making ends meet."
- You are planning to become a trader and buy apartments and all that - how long you think that's gonna take? You will be old like me before you are ready to go sailing.

Unless you have a pile of college loan debt you don't want to burden your folks with - go right now. If you live near your folks move home for 3 months - sell everything or put it in your parents garage. Save your next 3 months pay and then go. If you don't have your folks near by be a burden on your friends and couch surf until they kick you out - they will forgive you later.

For a year! be a bum! Go to Florida and buy a $2,000 crap boat on Craigslist, throw your surfboard on it and go. Work at anything to keep the kitty supplied - live cheap. Have fun!

If it doesn't work or you don't like it all you've invested is a year of having fun. Who knows you may be able to make it a lifestyle.

Or take the path well trodden - get a job, a mortgage, 2.3 kids and wait until you are 67...

Take a look at this video -

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1603228
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 21:48   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Welcome aboard. Go for your dreams.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 23:58   #5

Boat: Vancouver 27

I'm with ex-calif for sure.

I did a shoestring trip with some buddies when I was in my mid twenties. It was the point of no return for me from trying to feign a more traditional lifestyle. Can't imagine sitting in a cube and wishing I'd done something different.

I'm 31 now. I bought a solid little boat a couple years back and have been slowly moving her about and refitting. Have been working a remote-based IT job for a few years and reckon I have enough saved to do a 2-3 year Caribbean cruise. I will quit the job and depart Fort Lauderdale Fall 2015. I was also making about $50K a year.

My thoughts: Life is short and there are no guarantees. And time is more important than money. Also, being a millenial growing up amidst the financial turmoil, it seems crazy to leverage my dreams against the dow jones industrial average. IMHO, dreams are too important for "sound financial planning"

One more thought, I think too many of us here youngens believe a 40'+ boat is required to live comfortably on the water, and that prevents there from being more young people out there doing it. If you're young, you dont! And anyway, no matter what size boat you have (I cruised on a 37' for a few years before downsizing to a 27'), you're always gonna think "man, it'd sure be nice to have a bit of extra space for this [whizbang].."
Plus, you can get a very nice small boat for the price of a crappy large boat.

Maybe once there are some rugrats running around the decks, a larger boat will be called for...

Anyway, I hope some of this helps Hope to see ya out there!

Ryan
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 06:00   #6

@ex-calif thank you that's exactly what I needed to hear. No school loans over my head...when I could no longer afford college, I stopped going lol
My parents are closeby and ive been considering the move back, just got to swallow my pride and grasp the fact it may seem like a step backwards...when really it will be a stride forward.
My only tie here...is my pup. Well, my ex girls pup who im taking care of as she gets things together enough to have him. No biggie.
I am in debt about 3000, without rent to pay though thatll be taken care of.
I would like to make this happen asap, I am however stuck on the idea of building a self generating company here just as a security net before I leave. Also, being that the company's focus will be directing flow to charities, ill feel more fulfilled...like im playing my part to make a positive difference in the world.
I also forgot to mention... im a musician...guitar and vocals, and it seems doable to play some spots along the way, potentially an income there.
@maxingout thank you for the welcome...you know I will!
@laika the big boat doesnt seem necessary. ..im a man who enjoys the finer things ;-), and the thought of having earned a nice new large boat someday seems it would be a great accomplishment. First things first though...any suggestions of good smaller boats to look at...thanks all...off to the phones.....
Pause.

Old 16-08-2014, 07:09   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Don't get "stuck" by the idea of making a company. Don't get "stuck" with anything. Even a dog - LOL...

Don't let ego make you think couch surfing with mom and dad for a few months is a step back - you got it right it is a great stride forward.

You are 23 and life is long. You can always rewind and join corporate America. You won't always be young, flexible and daring. Your parents may think you crazy but I am betting they will be jealous as hell.

With music skills you can probably get bar gigs or even busking.

Don't worry about a safety net - At 23 you don't need much of one. Your parents will be there if and when you need to come back.

Several of my nephews and nieces have done a "gap" year. I did quite an adventure myself.

You won't regret it. You'll only regret it if you don't try.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 07:45   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

See I'd do it a little different, at 23 50K a year seems pretty good. I like your plan, but all I'd say is how did you get any debt at 23 and over a grand a week income?
Need to scale your life style way back and save enough money so you can buy a boat for cash, yes I'm sure we would all like a new boat, but the value just isn't there, used boats are orders of magnitude cheaper.

If you can't quite make ends meet at 1K a week, how are you going to do it at 1/8 that?
I'd say having a good source of income is the ideal and makes cruising a lot more realistic, at least that is what keeps me getting up at 5:30 every morning and going to work, that and trying to convince the wife that we ought to go, she resists change
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 09:07   #9

Thanks again ex califf... the way you put it..."buy a boat and go"...makes me feel confident that the learning curve wont be rough and ill be capable of manning a boat in no time.

Hopefully....by spring ill have my boat, and ill begin venturing new england to start, then by fall down to fla and beyond.

Nother idea...a book..."from cubicle to coral" perhaps a publisher mu ght find it to be worth something. Id read it.

A64pilot ... debt is petty things I bought young ignorant to the value of good credit. Headphones, a watch, set of tires, and 1000 owed to a lawyer who got me off an oui for a bit of herb for the small cost of 3 gs....jeez.

How I came across 50k/year (before taxes) ... started from the bottom knocking doors, made it to the well paying phone room, and the monotony is not worth the pay lol.

I know I need to live way below my means for the next while and nothing could motivate me more than the idea of dropping anchor in a cove I may call my own for a night.
I also underatand an overpriced new boat is unnecessary... theyre so luxurious though and I enjoy feeling like a king...so maybe...just maybe someday ill be discovered for my music or the book becomes a bestseller...or I rob a bank... maybe then ill afford that lifestyle. Til then ill more than appreciate a simpler more cost effective way. (Dont worry ill refrain from the 3rd option)
Good luck convincing the mrs. Of the adventure!

Old 17-08-2014, 23:51   #10

Boat: Vancouver 27

If you havent already come across this...

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

yachtworld.com, craigslist and sailboatlistings.com are all good sources for researching the market. Definitely walk the docks and boatyards near you, as well.

Also try to start sailing locally on whatever you can get aboard, even dinghys and sunfish.

Ryan
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 12:59   #11

Thanks ryan...yea im in my studying/researching stage.
Spent a couple hours memorized looking at the hans christian 33...seems like a beautiful boat.
Of course ill ask around and open my options before making a decision.
Thanks again though for the list!

Old 18-08-2014, 14:40   #12

Boat: Tartan 30

Yep, do it now!

-Find a cheap (or free) place to live
-Get a second job, something easy/no strings that you can ditch when you get the $$ together (the more you work the less you spend)
-Find a boat (the research phase you're in) Really don't want much beyond the 32' range for single handing (more $$/work, you will pay by the foot). Find the one right for your needs. Hunters, meh. new, meh.
-Move onto that boat once you get it (this is the "escape the expectations of society" part), rent should then be <$200/mos (includes water, electricity, etc and sometimes wifi)
-You can do you your trading & philanthropy from the boat, you'll have better ideas there, and be more accustomed to self-sufficience.

This is just one path, but immediacy is key!
You can do it, good luck!
GuidoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 14:58   #13

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I'm with them - Go! The old saying "A gentleman has a boat 1ft long for each year of his life" is good! You don't need much when you are young....
The wealthy want/need people like you to stay at work and follow the "normal" path, so the idea that that is what is expected is perpetuated. You are never ready, and you can never afford it. Go now - it will cost what you have either way!
Old 18-08-2014, 16:22   #14
h20

don't think to much, just do it. Two months and we were out.
Now on the boat and preping for journey. You can live on the boat,
save money during the planning phase, just my 2 cents
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 17:43   #15

Thank you all! My heart feels full planning this...thats enough for me to keep my head up for a while longer in this corporate lifestyle I lead. I appreciate any thoughts/advice so keep it coming!
My only discrepancy with the planning advice... when I go...im going to want to be away for an undetermined amount of time. Therefore, seems logical to save as much as possible...in my mind 10k and a self generating company would be comfortable. Also...I want to live the dream of making it...well, everywhere awesome. Is a 2000$ boat really going to keep me afloat?
It seems more logical to invest maybe 10K to avoid any burden down the road.
Dont get me wrong...its calling me. I could have 5grand within a couple months and head to fla. right then...

Think ill appreciate it more having saved through the new england winter here, also Id like to sail new england a while anyways. By spring, id have the 10k for a boat, 10k pocket change, and 6 months of research and classes/experience under my belt.

Again I appreciate all the responses; so looking forward to it all.

Tags
sail