Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 06:09   #406
Registered User
 
propellanttech's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B'ham, Al
Posts: 356
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the best nautical flea markets are not in GLOSSY rags, but word of mouth. ye kinda have to be in the area with a vhf radio. in usa, many flea markets are written up and advertised in glossies-but i have had less than good luck finding realistically priced items at those.
So because you have not had good experiences, the advertised flea markets are not beneficial?

If you haven't attended every one listed, your opinion, is biased.

No flea market is guaranteed to have any item you are looking for. This is the price you may pay for trying to save money. Some people may want more for the item(s), which you think is unreasonable.

This can happen at any flea market, advertised in the "glossy" magazine or not.

If there are flea markets not listed in the magazines, maybe you should advertise them on here. Will help out those who have things to un-clutter their boat.

James L
__________________

__________________
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:14   #407
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,563
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
So because you have not had good experiences, the advertised flea markets are not beneficial?

If you haven't attended every one listed, your opinion, is biased.

No flea market is guaranteed to have any item you are looking for. This is the price you may pay for trying to save money. Some people may want more for the item(s), which you think is unreasonable.

This can happen at any flea market, advertised in the "glossy" magazine or not.

If there are flea markets not listed in the magazines, maybe you should advertise them on here. Will help out those who have things to un-clutter their boat.

James L
when one interprets another's words and winds those words into a different meaning than th obvious one, that individual is only hurting one's own mind. think as if someone talking with you has said words. i SAID that the BEST ones are not in the glossies. i did NOT say they were without value, did i.... try reading the words as written, without the twist. might learn something about what others are saying. this is a problem on forums--folks re-interpret what has been plainly stated to fit their own warp on life-- is not what was stated. read my words again.
__________________

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:43   #408
Registered User
 
propellanttech's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B'ham, Al
Posts: 356
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
when one interprets another's words and winds those words into a different meaning than th obvious one, that individual is only hurting one's own mind. think as if someone talking with you has said words. i SAID that the BEST ones are not in the glossies. i did NOT say they were without value, did i.... try reading the words as written, without the twist. might learn something about what others are saying. this is a problem on forums--folks re-interpret what has been plainly stated to fit their own warp on life-- is not what was stated. read my words again.
Funny, because you didn't include anything positive about the "glossy" advertised flea markets. That is an indication that you do not find any value in them.

Things you do not say, are just as important as the things you do.

Evidently you do not know the word comprehension.

James L
__________________
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:45   #409
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,563
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

there is no reason for me to even read the glossy rags,as only things i have founbd in them is overpriced ads and overpriced goods. nothing for a low budget d=cruiser who seeks real value. if you are a glossy rag reader and count on values found therein, you have no comprehension f low budget cruising whatsoever. to even be able to afford those useless rags shows that you have mor etime on your hands than normal cruisers,and to slam me fornotusing the ugly glossies for anything states that you drive a desk. now--back off. be nice and stop slamming those who actually DO cruise on lower budgets.
as far as reading comprehension is concerned-- you have noooo clue whatsoever. bash not lest thee be bashed best.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:01   #410
Registered User
 
propellanttech's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B'ham, Al
Posts: 356
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there is no reason for me to even read the glossy rags,as only things i have founbd in them is overpriced ads and overpriced goods. nothing for a low budget d=cruiser who seeks real value. if you are a glossy rag reader and count on values found therein, you have no comprehension f low budget cruising whatsoever. to even be able to afford those useless rags shows that you have mor etime on your hands than normal cruisers,and to slam me fornotusing the ugly glossies for anything states that you drive a desk. now--back off. be nice and stop slamming those who actually DO cruise on lower budgets.
as far as reading comprehension is concerned-- you have noooo clue whatsoever. bash not lest thee be bashed best.
Interesting, you jumped into a conversation not aimed at you, and then you get offended.

I do not subscribe to any periodicals. I only read information that is aimed at education pertaining to cruising. The rest must be free, or I don't read it.

I have plenty of time on my hands, I'm self employed. I however do not drive a desk.

As for budgets, I can just about bet my monthly budget is lower than yours.

If you do not want to be bashed, keep your shoulder, with the chip on it, from focusing on me, when I wasn't addressing you.

You shouldn't talk about being nice. You have a way to turn any thread, to you being right or more knowledgeable. Now you will be placed on my ignore list to prevent dealing with your "holier than thou attitude."

James L
__________________
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:10   #411
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,563
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

the onliest holier than thou here is you, enjoy your living hell of not understanding that which folks are saying...the twist is only from within your brain misunderstanding clear speech.

you ASSUME way too much.

btw--is an HONOR to be place on your ignore list---RODLMAO i am laughing all the way down the channel.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:34   #412
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: St Pete FL
Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Posts: 781
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

All right don't make me come on here and separate you two!
__________________
Auto pilot is saying get up here and grab the tiller.
w1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:38   #413
Registered User
 
propellanttech's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B'ham, Al
Posts: 356
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
All right don't make me come on here and separate you two!
Ehhh.....no separation. I just put her on ignore. It's just easier that way.

It's all good!!

I agree to just disagree with her.

James L
__________________
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:41   #414
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,563
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

ignore is an excellent way to not have to learn what others do to not merely survive on 500 usd per month, but to THRIVE on that meager sum. i thrive. is awesome fun. sounds like some subsist, while others endure---some take potshots as they cannot liv on that small sum happily....needs to get out more....rodlmao
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:43   #415
Registered User
 
centaur's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dublin
Boat: Westerly Centaur
Posts: 49
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Cheap shots or what.
At least it fits the thread profile

Adding anchor and chain to the crucial list, thanks SK.
__________________
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 13:11   #416
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,563
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

mebbe someday the guy with the glossy rag fetish will learn how to cruise on less than 500 dollars per month. he most assuredly will not learn by not reading what those out here have to say about it.....rodlmao.
h also willnot learn where the GOOD swap meets are by reading that stuff, either..lol...but, he wants his glossy non news--everything in those is over 5 months old.....
as was stated earlier on-- you will find stuff of value only when you are out her with your ear to the seas.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:39   #417
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
I appreciate all sailing literature and can always find something I didn't know ... even in glossy powerboat and " yacht" magazines. Besides, the cheapest isn't always he best buy ... time and use decide that.
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:43   #418
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Besides, the cheapest isn't always he best buy ... time and use decide that.
That is always the challenge / conundrum - on some things paying more now (for better) you do get the benefits of longevity........if you pay less have to accept that over the medium / long term the choice will cost more.

Of course the choice is easy to make when you only have the cash for the latter option right now............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:05   #419
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,008
Images: 75
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
That is always the challenge / conundrum - on some things paying more now (for better) you do get the benefits of longevity........if you pay less have to accept that over the medium / long term the choice will cost more.

Of course the choice is easy to make when you only have the cash for the latter option right now............
i have found doctors waiting rooms a very good source for yachting magazines

also i'm one of those people you see in supermarkets standing next to the magazine section,reading the lastest edition of "yachting monthly" with absoloutly no intention of buying it
__________________
Reccomended donations for IRMA,MARIA
www.shelterbox.org
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:38   #420
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,563
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

the cheapest part is probably going to break in short order--so i search fro non cheap stuff at low prices. works out well... the best swap meets are found, not read about. is important to know where htese are and when and get there before daylight for best deals, like the 496 ft of 3/4 inch 3 strand nylon line i bought for 25 dollars a few yrs on back--my anchor rode for ericson --lol..and other goodis--brass anchor lamp for 20 dollars--i love it--fresnel lens and oil burning. many good deals if you have your eyes open.
__________________

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
budget

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II) David_Old_Jersey General Sailing Forum 1353 07-09-2017 11:07
Thoughts on a 1962 Columbia 29 Ripples Monohull Sailboats 275 11-07-2017 10:41
Pulled the Trigger on an Islander 34 Spadonky Monohull Sailboats 28 24-07-2015 02:15
Two Bilge Pumps on the Same Hose amarf Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 36 27-03-2012 10:23
OpenCPN Build on Windows - Please Help! kenchan OpenCPN 2 25-03-2012 18:55


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:58.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.