Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2008, 11:23   #1

Hello

Hello to all
We are new members to this forum. We sail a 42 ft Lagoon Catamaran. bought it last year in the Keys and sailed it up to virginia-mostly via the intercostal. Now it is in the boatyard getting extensive renovations.

The contractors who fixed several fiberglass issues, tore down the headliner in the main saloon. Now it is up to us to fix it. Basically there was glue and foam backed vinyl with pieces of covered thin wood in some places. The whole thing is like a dome. Has anyone ever tried to replace a headliner themselves? Can you use something other than fabric? Does it need insulation? Any suggestions would help.

Thanks
Carol Delfaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 14:46   #2

Lagoon '42

How do you like your Lagoon? Can a family of 5 live aboard?
skifinnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 16:29   #3

live aboard

We have a 1998 Lagoon-I think the newer ones are even better. I would think it much better than a 42 foot monohull for space and comfort. I do thin that with really good attitudes a family of 5 could live aboard. We use ours only for fun.
Old 21-05-2008, 17:41   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Welcome Carol. I am currently in the process of replacing similar headliner panels in my cat and would recommend the use of white frp embossed panels that are available for under $50.00 for a 4' x 8' sheet at Home Depot.

They cut easily with table/sabre saws and can be easily shaved down for an exacting fit with #40 sandpaper. The panels resemble the pattern of many molded frp headliners and, as they are frequently used in the interior of industrial refrigeration units, are well suited to the marine environment.

You can drill and screw directly into the overhead (through the inner laminate and, obviously, not past the core material). You can also purchase white plastic caps to cover the screws at various places (and quite inexpensively at Boat Parts At Surplus Unlimited. Boating accessories, marine supplies, trailer parts, gauges. We specialize in Teleflex & SeaStar steering. under the heading 'other fasteners'). In fact, they are also a good source of inexpensive s/s screws for the project. I would recommend nothing longer than 5/8" flat heads.

Plastic molding is available for seams, although I find a better finish by taping off about a 1/4" on both panels and using white, GE bathroom silicone. Pefect colour match and easy to remove/replace when you need to get at the wiring etc.

Alternatively, if the plywood is still in good shape, you can always attach the frp panels over the plywood - epoxy resin, or available at Home Depot, buckets of FRP panel adhesive that one puts on with a trawler. This will keep the curve without so many screws (although it will certainly add weight).

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 17:48   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Delfaus View Post
Hello to all
We are new members to this forum. We sail a 42 ft Lagoon Catamaran. bought it last year in the Keys and sailed it up to virginia-mostly via the intercostal. Now it is in the boatyard getting extensive renovations.

The contractors who fixed several fiberglass issues, tore down the headliner in the main saloon. Now it is up to us to fix it. Basically there was glue and foam backed vinyl with pieces of covered thin wood in some places. The whole thing is like a dome. Has anyone ever tried to replace a headliner themselves? Can you use something other than fabric? Does it need insulation? Any suggestions would help.

Thanks
Carol,
I don't understand why it is not their responsibility to fix it like it was? If they tore it down then they should make it right. That's called properly completing a job in my book.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 19:10   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
Wow the FRP pannels sound good. To add a touch of tradition you can make wooden battens that match the wood in your interior to cover up the seams. My boat has done this (though w/o the FRP pannels) and it looks really nice. If you can fit insulation in the boat it is always better.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 19:34   #7

catamaran headliner replacement

thank you for the information. We will go t Home Depot and check out the material you mentioned. If I have further questions, I'll probably contact you again.
Old 24-05-2008, 20:19   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Carol,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here and it sounds like you are getting good help already.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote