Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 05:18   #1
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings

Hi Folks.... may have been a member in the past.... not sure... but good to be "On Board".
Have had a good nose around and the site seems well together so hope to enjoy meeting n greeting other members over time...
Maybe face to face during travels.... cya in the'Village'
Phil

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Am Blitzing the Posts as am stuck in harbour... most of the Portuguese ports are closed on the Atlantic Coast due to high seas and winds with the Algarve not a lot better... man the weathers crap.... but thats pollution for you... back to the winters of the 20th century pre 70's....lol.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:20   #3

Boat: Sigma 33
Where

Where are you at the moment dude...We are in UK, heading south soon...
Enigma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 15:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I'm berthed in the marina at Figuera da Foz but living ashore in Coimbra... to damn cold at the moment...
Where are you headed for?

Old 06-01-2010, 19:22   #5

Boat: Sigma 33
Currently in Ipswich, UK. We want to get to the Med this year and cruise cheap! We have zero budget so are looking for free berth/mooring options and anchorages, will certainly get to your location sooner or later...Any advice welcome! We really are hoping to catch up with someone in a similiar situation (we are living aboard full time)
Enigma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:38   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Enigma... next door to where I picked up the Corribee... Harwich...lol.
My knowledge of anchorages between Ushant and La Coruna is non existent as i've always down the Biscay in a single bound... not keen on France and not really interested in the eastern end of N. Spain... You can anchor, at present in La Coruna but that may change now the new marina is almost complete. My next choice is Baiona.. tho there are many anchorages in the ria's between these two ports but I tend to make Passages rather than coast hop.... Baiona's lovely and a well sheltered spot have sat out a few gales there over the years.
After that your pretty much stuck as most ports further south are at rivers and anchoring is either limited or frowned on till Cascais, Sines and Setubal... there used to be a dock where you could tie up for free in Lisbon, Alcantara, but I think thats gone now, marina expansion. From there to St Viciente there's a couple of places but they are tricky and shallow entrances with lots of rocky shoals so carry on round the Cape and you have Sagres... a lovely spot but exposed to the South... Portimao is the first real all weather anchorage on the Algarve followed by the Faro/Olhau lagoon... then there's Taviera.... you may find a free berth up the Guadiana... if your very lucky but just about every-where's been grabbed by liveaboards and the 'good old days' are long gone....
One of the beauty's of anchoring is that you stay off the 'Radar' of officialdom and it reduces the chances of being grabbed for evasion of 'boat tax' as notification of entry into countries in the EU is done when you book into a marina... since 1995 I've only been boarded once by customs at anchor and that was in Andratx, Mallorca... and that was down to a boat full of drugs that had been tracked and unfortunately dropped its hook near me.... they checked our passports, ships papers had a coffee and apologised for troubling us before heading of to check half a dozen more...
I have heard however that many of the 'old' anchoring spots in eastern Spain have been 'closed'.... Adra, Torreaveja to name just a couple tho the Balearics is still a grand place for the 'hook'.... Happy Cruising once you head off..
Hope its useful...
Phil

Old 21-01-2010, 10:44   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I hope it starts to warm up there soon.
regards