Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 15:08   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Folding Bicycle

It doesn't, however it's probably three times as large as a good electric scooter. A good scooter you don't worry about how to secure it when you go into the store, you fold it and carry it with you.
Part of the problem is think about getting them into and out of the dinghy, a folding Dahon was a pain.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 22:09   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Part of the problem is think about getting them into and out of the dinghy, a folding Dahon was a pain.
You should have bought a Brompton.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 16:25   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I used to be a Roadie, I think if I wanted a high quality folder I'd likely go with a bike Friday, but I don't see doing that, I'm way past my cycling years with knees that one at least needs overhauling.
Really should get it replaced, but I'll likely gut it out for a few more years until I can't sleep anymore. I'm a wimp and getting a new knee is scary.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 21:33   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Some thoughts on a folding bike. Needed cheap transportation and found a used folding bike for $60. It had dome issues but a little ingenuity and had it working. The riding position was cramped with the handle bar and sear too close. That made for a tiring bolt upright riding posture that made riding into even a 5 mph wind tiring. Bike has a 7 speed rear cassette that worked on flat land but wouldn't want to tackle any hills. Bike came with a factory rack that was marginal being too low in hight to properly mount Panniers. BIG negative was the weight. No scale but it must top 40#. Made the error of transporting it on deck for a short but very rough passage. Bike rusted badly and bled rust all over where it was lashed. Tried some Ospho on the stains with little effect. Hope Oxalic acid will work better as it really uglified the non skid. Even for that one day {passage corrosion was a major problem. The rear brake became nearly unusable and rust everywhere. In short, it got me around short distances way faster than walking but wouldn't want to go touring.

Do 't buy a bike with the idea of transporting it on deck. Even if the frame is aluminum, the accessories will have a bunch of steel to stain your boat.

My other bike is a Bike Friday New World Tourist. Have owned it for more than 10 years and put a lot of miles on it. When I used to commute to the boat by air, would load it into its suitcase, set the bike up at the airport with the suitcase converted to a trailer and ride to the boat. NO RENTAL CAR EXPENSE. Bike works as well as a full size touring bike with front and rear racks and panniers if I chose to use them. Bike has a three speed axle in the rear with 9 speed cassette derailleur giving 27 gears which gets these 72 year old legs almost anywhere. Bike rides like a real bike with the same rider dimensions as my full size touring bike. Have left the bike in its travel case on deck for extended periods with no problems. The case is semi sealed and doesn't allow ran in. Haven't done a passage with it on deck and wouldn't. it's easy to pack into its suitcase and sling into the forepeak for long distance sailing. Bike is not a one minute operation to fold into the suitcase but folds into a compact configuration for packing into a canvas case and transfer from dinghy to shore instantly. Bike Friday's are not cheap but are small wheeled bikes that ride like a real bike. They make a number of different styles for various folding requirements. You can get them with light chromoly alloy frames or good old steel depending on your quest for weight savings.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 21:52   #35

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I bought an old 18 Speed folding Schwinn Montague with 24" wheels that looked new. Paid $175. at a second hand marine parts store. Spray the chain and gears once a year with lube and it's been great. A little heavy- it's steel not aluminum- but I've hauled everything from propane tanks to bags of groceries, so I happy with it. Feels a lot safer than those bikes with 10" wheels
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 22:11   #36

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I took my favourite mountain bike down to Kangaroo Island last month. Left it on the after deck for the journey, no problems with it going down, but some kind of light salt spray must have got on it some time on the journey because after I got home the disk brakes went TOTALLY to crap. Had to pull the disks and grind them back to stop them howling after that trip. So for my boat bike I will avoid disks I think.