Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2017, 15:36   #1

Boat: Outbound 46
Blog vs Website or Facebook?

I am new to Cruisers Forum, but I have followed it for some time now.
We will have our Outbound 46 delivered in April, Yay

I wanted to start up a blog. Any recommendations of software/services?
Why starting up a blog when you can do a Facebook page instead?
Advantages? Some people set up their own website, what is the advantage of that in comparison?
Thanks for all recommendations/advices
Pollux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 16:02   #2

Boat: Carter offshore 35
Re: Blog vs Website or Facebook?

Check out BlogSpot for a free blog. I like the Blog as a log of where we have been and what we did. It is permanent. Facebook is nice to keep in touch with friends but the memories are lost down the page.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 16:18   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

What is your end goal? Facebook is a great way to update friends and family but it lacks as a journal if you want to review down the way. There are a number of blog sites that allow you to have a journal type layout but less control on design. WordPress is a good cms (content management system) that allows you full freedom of design and monetization if this is going to be a revenue generator.
Old 06-11-2017, 16:45   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

A blog is nothing more than a publishing platform that essentially IS a website. For your purposes I would chose it over creating a website from scratch unless you have some fairly unique formatting/content/publishing requirements. Most of the blogging sites are free to start with and then hit you up (somewhat modestly) for more photo storage and the ability to add video and other features.

Facebook is evil. I would not use it, lol.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 17:56   #5

Blog vs Website or Facebook?

You can also share your blog posts as a link on Facebook which will steer your friends to it.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 18:41   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

I would never use Facebook and their ilk (Twit, snaperchater, or whatever…) b/c they basically own your content (they have equal rights to your material). If you are OK giving it all away, and feeding the big monster that attempts to know more about you than you do — and then to sell this to the highest bidder — then use Facebook…

Er, sorry . What was the question…?

Oh yeah… I own my own domains, and run them on private leased server space. I run Wordpress on my site. It’s completely under my control. No one else owns my material.

It’s easy to do, and costs small $$ each year. If I want to sell my soul I can set up various ad tools. No reason to give it all away to Facebook et al.
Old 06-11-2017, 19:31   #7
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I would never use Facebook and their ilk (Twit, snaperchater, or whatever…) b/c they basically own your content (they have equal rights to your material). If you are OK giving it all away, and feeding the big monster that attempts to know more about you than you do — and then to sell this to the highest bidder — then use Facebook…

Er, sorry . What was the question…?

Oh yeah… I own my own domains, and run them on private leased server space. I run Wordpress on my site. It’s completely under my control. No one else owns my material.

It’s easy to do, and costs small $$ each year. If I want to sell my soul I can set up various ad tools. No reason to give it all away to Facebook et al.
Can't agree more
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:17   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

The issue I have with "blogs" is, unless the reader follows your blog every day it can be very difficult to read (in chronological order). The reader has to click on the last page, read it, go back to the main page, click on the next to last page, read it, go back to the main page, etc.

I write each day's post in MS word (any word processor will do) and cut and paste that day to a Facebook group of friends (I don't want the neighborhood crackheads knowing I'm 500 miles from home).

When I return from a cruise, I have a word processor document for the entire trip. I format into two columns (my choice, not mandatory), add photos with captions, have my wife proofread it, convert it to a PDF file and publish it on a website.

Then I can publish the website link on Facebook or wherever.

http://www.widman.biz/indigo/index.htm
Old 07-11-2017, 05:34   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The issue I have with "blogs" is, unless the reader follows your blog every day it can be very difficult to read (in chronological order). The reader has to click on the last page, read it, go back to the main page, click on the next to last page, read it, go back to the main page, etc.
Blogging platforms have different template/formatting/organization options and controls that I think a lot of casual bloggers ignore or simply don't use. Some make the content more user-friendly and accessible than others. Not sure which platform has the most flexible templates and settings at this point.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:15   #10

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Blog plus facebook account and possibly Instagram and youtube.

The blog/website is your home residence online it's the go to place for contact information, information on your boat, adventures, information about you etc... It will have more detail and deeper analysis.

Facebook for current events and discussion.

Instagram for pictures (different from those on you blog or Facebook). staged, candid, or opportunistic moments, that tell the story of your lifestyle.

Youtube, if you want to go audio visual, but bare in mind it is masses of work to even put out something half decent.

None of these should be undertaken because you want followers, admiration, or money; But because you want to share with friends, family; because you want to make connections with like minded people; grow communities, inspire others thinking about doing the same etc...

As for software, self hosted Wordpress will usually be preferred over free hosted blogs and websites. Simply because you own the content, and have complete control over every aspect of it.

You don't say where you are in the world, but once you do I'm sure other will recommend suitable hosts.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:31   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
I am new to Cruisers Forum, but I have followed it for some time now.
We will have our Outbound 46 delivered in April, Yay

I wanted to start up a blog. Any recommendations of software/services?
Why starting up a blog when you can do a Facebook page instead?
Advantages? Some people set up their own website, what is the advantage of that in comparison?
Thanks for all recommendations/advices
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

Congratulations on your new boat! That is an outstanding design for cruising. Admirable. I would love to go sailing on one, and can imagine your excitement about owning one now.

FYI: there is another CF member who has published many posts and comments, over several years and he goes by the forum user name POLUX. I mention this because you may find people here may confuse you with him in the future because of the similar user names. I suggest you edit your CF Profile to indicate your location, in order to distinguish you, and include your boat model too. This additional info would show under your Avatar on your posts.

Others have given good answers regarding blog versus Facebook. I see advantages and disadvantages to both, so I use both.

Bon Voyage on the Forum and on the water too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

I write each day's post in MS word (any word processor will do) and cut and paste that day to a Facebook group of friends (I don't want the neighborhood crackheads knowing I'm 500 miles from home).

When I return from a cruise, I have a word processor document for the entire trip. I format into two columns (my choice, not mandatory), add photos with captions, have my wife proofread it, convert it to a PDF file and publish it on a website.

Then I can publish the website link on Facebook or wherever.
Interestingly enough, I had the same throught process and experience when we brought our boat up to Vancouver Island summer of '16.

Only difference was I agree with Mike about Facebook, so my daily ramblings were done in Word, and then distributed by email to a steadily growing list of folks.

When I was done with the voyage I edited the text and then put it up on blogspot, which was recommended to me by a knowledgeable friend. She said it was easy to learn, and "if I could do it, she was right."

I agree with Ron about the chronology issue when posting "dailies" on a blog.

Then I added my photos, which also included screen shots of our track and places we stopped.

I posted a link to the blog on our C34 website, and have done so here for folks who asked about traveling from SF to Vancouver Island.

Boating forums are the only social media I "expose myself" to.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:35   #13

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I would also like to add, that in Wordpress you can summit posts via email. Additionally, friends, family and the like can subscribe and will get notifications on new posts.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:56   #14

Unless you already have the skills to set up your website AND protect it (firewall, backups, upgrades, selecting software, etc), I would strongly suggest you choose a host like Wordpress or blogspot. Each will require a learning curve from you, but will Be orders of magnitude less than setting up your own website. Look into Wordpress; it’s strong enough for a professional grade blog & it has lots of tutorials to ease the transition. I look forward to seeing you Online.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:52   #15

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

Congratulations on your new boat! That is an outstanding design for cruising. Admirable. I would love to go sailing on one, and can imagine your excitement about owning one now.

+1
I like it even more now that they have an option to eliminate the sliding sink in the forward head.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote