Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 14:49   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 589
Re: Blog vs Website or Facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
I wanted to start up a blog.

Firstly, congratulations and safe sailing with the new boat.

I would love to understand the rationale behind having a blog.

Why is it so important to some?

Doesn't one live life to the full for their own enjoyment?

Are special moments still special if one is walking around with an unwieldy selfie stick held high, filming retakes?

Why is it necessary to burn up ones valuable time entertaining the world with ones own life?

Is it about seeking affirmation/validation from the masses.?

I don't get it.

Please help me understand.
__________________
Now, where's my stalker?
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 15:24   #17
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 13,431
Re: Blog vs Website or Facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
...I would love to understand the rationale behind having a blog. Why is it so important to some?
Ö.
Please help me understand.
I basically agree with you.

I, reluctantly, started blogging after much family/friend pressure who wanted to know and see what weíve been up to. I write it for that purpose, and for that audience, although I admit that it has become a good way for me to keep track of our travels and adventures over the years.

Although I only write and post for friends/family, Iíve been surprised, and a bit befuddled, at the growing interest in the little blog. I link to it here b/c of that, but I still only write for close friends and family (and me).
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 15:53   #18
Registered User
 
dwedeking2's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Key West, FL
Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Posts: 895
Images: 1
Re: Blog vs Website or Facebook?

Like mike said mostly family and friends as they are in California and I'm in Florida. Also, I'm from a desert/off road background so I'm able to explain things / show pictures of what I'm doing.

Also I spent a lot of years in the dream phase reading other peoples blogs and books. Maybe someone will like my blog in return.

If I accidently make a little coin on the side well that's nice. But writing a blog post isn't a huge effort
__________________
S/V Pomaika'i Blog
dwedeking2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 16:09   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: PNW
Boat: J/42
Posts: 909
Re: Blog vs Website or Facebook?

Like Mike, I own my own domains for my businesses, but have not used one for personal material. I will set one up one of these days soon.
Another peril of using someone else's "free" service is that they not only own all of your content, but can take it away without warning. For example, the recent Photobucket debacle, in which they cut off all the photo share libraries that many had been building for years, and demanded hundreds of dollars ransom for them.
In addition, sharing links and photos from one's own domain to sites like this would probably improve one's Google ranking, if that is something that's important to one. I suspect that I may have been wasting years of potential backlinks.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 16:27   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Boat: Outbound 46
Posts: 14
Re: Blog vs Website or Facebook?

First of all, Thank You SO much for all your feedback on this topic!
I already Love this forum.
Our purpose with a blog/FB page is mainly to update our relatives around the world. Also we see it as a way to document our journey, like a skippers log.
So I like the idea of writing in Word daily, as a log, and then copy it in to a blog or FB.
Thanks again
Pollux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 19:05   #21
Registered User
 
JeffH's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 54
Re: Blog vs Website or Facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post

Another peril of using someone else's "free" service is that they not only own all of your content, but can take it away without warning. For example, the recent Photobucket debacle, in which they cut off all the photo share libraries that many had been building for years, and demanded hundreds of dollars ransom for them.


Toddster,

I acknowledge the Photobucket as malicious & inappropriate behavior. You really do need to read the EULAs (End User Licensing Agreements) & think about what their impact on you might be. Some people just have to be dicks.

But no one would have lost anything if they had: (1) copyrighted their photos before sharing them on Photobucket; & (2) kept backup(s) on media they controlled. You donít surrender your rights to use your creative product when you post on such sites.

Same thing applies to using blog hosting sites. Itís all part of the learning curve. It doesnít seem to help much to shake oneís fist at Mother Nature & scream, ďYou shouldnít have blown my beautiful sailboat up onto this nasty reef.Ē

I think itís sad that some people think itís ok to take something that rightfully belongs to another, but they do. & thatís part of the learning curve. & they can & will, whether you use a blogging site or hosted site or your own hardware. & thatís part of the learning curve, too.

You certainly should NOT post any creative content that you intend to monetize to any public forum until you fully understand copyright law.
__________________
"There's nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats." -- River Rat, The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 19:46   #22
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 13,431
Re: Blog vs Website or Facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
Toddster,

I acknowledge the Photobucket as malicious & inappropriate behavior. You really do need to read the EULAs (End User Licensing Agreements) & think about what their impact on you might be. Some people just have to be dicks.

But no one would have lost anything if they had: (1) copyrighted their photos before sharing them on Photobucket; & (2) kept backup(s) on media they controlled. You donít surrender your rights to use your creative product when you post on such sites.

Same thing applies to using blog hosting sites. Itís all part of the learning curve. It doesnít seem to help much to shake oneís fist at Mother Nature & scream, ďYou shouldnít have blown my beautiful sailboat up onto this nasty reef.Ē

I think itís sad that some people think itís ok to take something that rightfully belongs to another, but they do. & thatís part of the learning curve. & they can & will, whether you use a blogging site or hosted site or your own hardware. & thatís part of the learning curve, too.

You certainly should NOT post any creative content that you intend to monetize to any public forum until you fully understand copyright law.
Well put Jeff, although a slight tweak. No one needs to copyright their creation (writing, image, vid, etc.). Copyright in all Western countries Iím aware of is vested with the creator at the point of creation. No further act is required.

You can register your copyright with various agencies and databases (each country does this differently), but copyright as a legal right does not require this.

The EULAs Iíve read do not extract copyright from their contributors. What they do is demand some sort of perpetual, unfettered, and uncompensated license to use the contributorís work. Itís not an exclusive license, and the creator still retains copyright, so can also use their work in whatever way they want. But the site can also do the same.

The real takeaway is as youíve said: if you care about the content, then donít post it on these ďfreeĒ sites (including this one).

Of course, my further concern with sites like Facebook, and tools like Google, is that theyíre really after your personal information. They want to know you better than you know you. Their real business is to sell you (figuratively speaking) to other third-parties.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 23:07   #23
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 9,525
Re: Blog vs Website or Facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>like a skippers log.>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So I like the idea of writing in Word daily, as a log, and then copy it in to a blog or FB.
You're very welcome, from all of us.

Log? If you want it chronologically, even in reverse order, use a free blog.

If you want it useless, all over the place, unsearchable, and piecemeal, by all means, use FB.

If your FB "friends" can't find a blog, when you tell them exactly where it is!!!, they deserve to miss your valued content.

Just don't say we didn't warn ya.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:17   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Croatia making our way back to the Carib
Boat: Lagoon 42
Posts: 323
Re: Blog vs Website or Facebook?

it is probably suggested already , but here goes (again)



register a domain

install wordpress + some addons for your blog on your own domain

write on your own domain/blog , post pics and link to your YT video's from your blog

your blog will automatically share your posts on your FB page (and instagram, twitter etc etc etc)


this way you only have to maintain 1 source (your blog) which you own and that automatically cascades your writing , scribbles and posts down to other social media outlets
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Many Have a Boat Blog or Website ? Janny Fishing, Recreation & Fun 253 16-01-2023 15:01
Plotting Route / Track for Website / Blog hoppy Navigation 5 22-09-2011 11:34
Best BLOG/Website Setup PHIL+MARYANNE Multihull Sailboats 4 12-06-2006 06:07

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.