Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 16:35   #1

After months of lurking, I finally signed up

Hello all, thanks for making this site such a great resource! I found this site months ago when searching for something and have been checking in ever since. I've always loved the ocean and spent a lot of time at the beach, until I moved for school. Since I found a job (and then found another one) I'm still here, which I hate. The traffic is terrible, it's expensive, and landlocked. I had planned to move by now, but stuff happens. When I moved to a place (in the same area) I threw away a ton of stuff, and it felt great! I realized I could easily get rid of more. It started me thinking more seriously about something I'd wanted to do since I was a kid, which is have my own sailboat to travel with and live on it, at least for awhile.

I'm from Newport and have been on a decent amount of boats before. I knew how to sail a bit when I was a teenager but I'm pretty sure I've forgotten most of what I learned. So I figure I have a tiny idea of what I'm in for, mostly I know that I am immensely lacking in knowledge and no matter how much work I think it'll be, it'll actually be more. Since it's been forever since I've taken a real vacation I just started saving to take a barefoot cruise (or something like it) next year to relearn basics. Provided I don't do a 180 and hate it I'll then start researching boat-friendly places to move.
Synesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 16:42   #2

Re: After months of lurking, I finally signed up

Newport RI is about as good as it gets! And lots of boat work and resort industry work as well.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 19:24   #3
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Welcome aboard Synesthesia...

Keep those dreams in focus...and you will find a way!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 19:46   #4

Check out Barefoot Offshore in the Grenadines looks like a great school with a great price. I will be taking one of there week long ASA courses in the near future. They also leave some time for vacation stuff too.
brittann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 20:27   #5

Thanks for the welcome!

brittann, that's actually the company I'm leaning towards! The week-long course is definitely what I would go for.
Old 23-09-2013, 17:53   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
Old 23-09-2013, 18:01   #7

I lived in Newport, RI for a while. Over on Spring Street, by the park and post office. Great town.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 18:12   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: After months of lurking, I finally signed up

Welcome to CF.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 19:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I lived in Newport, RI for a while. Over on Spring Street, by the park and post office. Great town.
Were you at the war college? It may sound weird but I never really thought about how many military people passed through Newport until I was living in the DC area working as a security clearance investigator while I worked through grad school. I worked mostly DoD cases and just in the two years I did that I met a bunch of folks who had been there.

I miss Newport a lot, but on the other hand I have gotten used to certain conveniences here. I've tried explaining to my mom the amazingness of the SuperTarget/Target Greatland that's 10 minutes away and she just doesn't understand. When I finally get out of here, I sure as hell won't miss the high cost of living, traffic, or the insane tree pollen counts that caused me to develop allergies in my 20s. Ugh.
Old 23-09-2013, 21:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
Were you at the war college? It may sound weird but I never really thought about how many military people passed through Newport until I was living in the DC area working as a security clearance investigator while I worked through grad school. I worked mostly DoD cases and just in the two years I did that I met a bunch of folks who had been there.

I miss Newport a lot, but on the other hand I have gotten used to certain conveniences here. I've tried explaining to my mom the amazingness of the SuperTarget/Target Greatland that's 10 minutes away and she just doesn't understand. When I finally get out of here, I sure as hell won't miss the high cost of living, traffic, or the insane tree pollen counts that caused me to develop allergies in my 20s. Ugh.
Yep. I met a lot of guys and it's neat to see where all my classmates have headed off to. Some are out, some are actually CO's of full on war ships now.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 22:22   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Welcome, and good luck making it happen! That's how I started - a week long ASA course at Bluewater Sailing in Ft Lauderdale.
So, do you hear colors?

-Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 16:14   #12

nope, I don't suffer from the condition, just have always thought it was fascinating