Oh I am so glad to hear this stuff. I thought it was just me.
Day one of ownership
, filled all water tanks
. Only to find one filler was plumbed to a fuel tank
. 200ltrs of water inmy fuel
later, I figured something was amiss. Good thing it wasn't fule in my water tank I suppose.
Day two, found our dry food storage
locker under a bunk was filled with water. $200 worth of brand new supplies had to be thrown out. thought it must have been a bad leak when we went through a huge sea. Could not find leak. Two weeks later, I filled the fresh water tank
. wife goes to get something from storage
to find it was fill of water again. This time I track the problem down to some twit had cut the tank breather hose off flush with the storage locker lid under the bunk. when the tank filled, water would pour out and fill the storage locker. The breather never went outside and was 3ft lower than the filler.
Day three, find most of the bilge
pumps couldnot lift water out of the boat. The lift head
was too great for them. Re-plumbed five complete bilge
Day four. Phew, whats that smell. Holding tank
seems to be breathing into boat. Find tank is in two sections and the breather is only connected to one side. When the level gets high enough, the second section build up tremendouse pressure till it escapes through a fitting or drain somewhere.
then things settle down a bit for awhile. Six months later, find the electrical
syustem had compleatly shorted and actually had burn't some timber. How it didn't combust I just simply do not know. It should of. Had to compleatly re-wire boat. Things I found wrong in that is a novel in itself.
Finaly we got the boat sailing. Well not uintill we find the "brnad new sails" that we were sold with the boat were actually so old, they were hand stiched. So new sails
later, we were sailing.
Then we found the previouse owner had done a quick presale repaint over non prepared old paint
. Some of it the paint
was coming off in sheets
as the old stuff hadn't even been cleaned let alone sanded. So that meant a repaint was on the to do list. However, it was bumped up to high priority when I found a timber port frame was so rotten it simply crushed to pieces when I bumped it with my foot. Later found all frames the same and the previouse guy had just painted over it all to hide it.
Latest as some know around here, the wrong mast
had been fitted and we now need to replace it with a new one. That's cool, it's only $10K's worth. Like all boaters, it's small change I am sure I have lying down the back of the couch or somewhere.
Within all that it has been a simple case of replacing leaking hatches, replacing all the Galv turnbuckles becuase they had all siezed. Repairs
and maintanance due to the previouse owner just covering up and not doing anything. It's all come back to bite. Problem is, it's my pocket it's biting.