Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2016, 14:52   #3586

Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Unlikely that today's predictions will turn out to be any more accurate than these were:

7 Predictions From Original Earth Day in 1970
Comparing climate projections to observations up to 2011

Stefan Rahmstorf1, Grant Foster2 and Anny Cazenave3

Published 27 November 2012 • 2012 IOP Publishing Ltd • Environmental Research Letters,Volume 7, Number 4

54843 Total downloads

Cited by 30 articles

A perspective for this article has been published in 2013 Environ. Res. Lett. 8011006

Article information

Abstract

We analyse global temperature and sea-level data for the past few decades and compare them to projections published in the third and fourth assessment reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). The results show that global temperature continues to increase in good agreement with the best estimates of the IPCC, especially if we account for the effects of short-term variability due to the El Niño/Southern Oscillation, volcanic activity and solar variability. The rate of sea-level rise of the past few decades, on the other hand, is greater than projected by the IPCC models. This suggests that IPCC sea-level projections for the future may also be biased low.

Figure 1. Observed annual global temperature, unadjusted (pink) and adjusted for short-term variations due to solar variability, volcanoes and ENSO (red) as in Foster and Rahmstorf (2011). 12-months running averages are shown as well as linear trend lines, and compared to the scenarios of the IPCC (blue range and lines from the third assessment, green from the fourth assessment report). Projections are aligned in the graph so that they start (in 1990 and 2000, respectively) on the linear trend line of the (adjusted) observational data.

Figure 2. Sea level measured by satellite altimeter (red with linear trend line; AVISO data from (Centre National d'Etudes Spatiales) and reconstructed from tide gauges (orange, monthly data from Church and White (2011)). Tide gauge data were aligned to give the same mean during 1993–2010 as the altimeter data. The scenarios of the IPCC are again shown in blue (third assessment) and green (fourth assessment); the former have been published starting in the year 1990 and the latter from 2000.
Old 23-04-2016, 14:59   #3587
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

That's the funniest thing I've seen today...nice try Jackdale...but it's gonna take another few cut-n-pastes to dig yourself out of that hole.
Old 23-04-2016, 15:00   #3588

Boat: Vagabond 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Comparing climate projections to observations up to 2011

Stefan Rahmstorf1, Grant Foster2 and Anny Cazenave3

Published 27 November 2012 • 2012 IOP Publishing Ltd • Environmental Research Letters,Volume 7, Number 4

54843 Total downloads

Cited by 30 articles

A perspective for this article has been published in 2013 Environ. Res. Lett. 8011006

Article information

Abstract

We analyse global temperature and sea-level data for the past few decades and compare them to projections published in the third and fourth assessment reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). The results show that global temperature continues to increase in good agreement with the best estimates of the IPCC, especially if we account for the effects of short-term variability due to the El Niño/Southern Oscillation, volcanic activity and solar variability. The rate of sea-level rise of the past few decades, on the other hand, is greater than projected by the IPCC models. This suggests that IPCC sea-level projections for the future may also be biased low.

Figure 1. Observed annual global temperature, unadjusted (pink) and adjusted for short-term variations due to solar variability, volcanoes and ENSO (red) as in Foster and Rahmstorf (2011). 12-months running averages are shown as well as linear trend lines, and compared to the scenarios of the IPCC (blue range and lines from the third assessment, green from the fourth assessment report). Projections are aligned in the graph so that they start (in 1990 and 2000, respectively) on the linear trend line of the (adjusted) observational data.

Figure 2. Sea level measured by satellite altimeter (red with linear trend line; AVISO data from (Centre National d'Etudes Spatiales) and reconstructed from tide gauges (orange, monthly data from Church and White (2011)). Tide gauge data were aligned to give the same mean during 1993–2010 as the altimeter data. The scenarios of the IPCC are again shown in blue (third assessment) and green (fourth assessment); the former have been published starting in the year 1990 and the latter from 2000.

Conveniently... that graph doesn't show the previous 30 years. When THe trend was global cooling and the end result of 30 years before that graph started to now?...

BACK WHERE WE STARTED.
Old 23-04-2016, 15:02   #3589
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurninTurtle View Post
Conveniently... that graph doesn't show the previous 30 years. When THe trend was global cooling and the end result of 30 years before that graph started to now?...

BACK WHERE WE STARTED.
What's the saying about damn lairs and Statistics?

But we have made some progress...the MMGW Cultists now realize that the Majority of the Population doesn't by what they are selling.
Old 23-04-2016, 15:28   #3590
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
What's the saying about damn lairs and Statistics?

But we have made some progress...the MMGW Cultists now realize that the Majority of the Population doesn't by what they are selling.
I would buy some more save the planet solar panels if they brought the cost down to two bits a watt I have room for two more 100 watt panels. But then I wold have to cause some more pollution and get new house bank.
Old 23-04-2016, 15:34   #3591

Quote:
Al Gore will burn 27,000 lbs of jet fuel in his private jet to go make a speach about how we should reduce our carbon footprint... then another 27,000 lbs of jet fuel to go home.

If he really believed in this crap... he'd at least fly commercial so the fuel moved appx 200 people instead of just him and his security detail...
Gore's Law

As an online climate change debate grows longer, the probability that denier arguments will descend into attacks on Al Gore approaches one.

Here's a hint. Al Gore could be short, evil and fond of child sacrifice. He could emit more CO2 snoring at night than Christopher Monckton does all year. And his movie could be even more inaccurate than the Great Global Warming Swindle. But this wouldn't change a thing. What matters is not Al Gore's character but science. And, in the case of climate change, it's awfully compelling.

++++++++++++++++++++++

BTW - http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...150208852.html
Old 23-04-2016, 15:35   #3592

Quote:

BACK WHERE WE STARTED.
What part of forecast do you not understand?
Old 23-04-2016, 15:38   #3593

Quote:
That's the funniest thing I've seen today...nice try Jackdale...but it's gonna take another few cut-n-pastes to dig yourself out of that hole.
Another failure to recognize science.

If you are so rich, why aren't you smart?
Old 23-04-2016, 15:43   #3594

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Gore's Law

As an online climate change debate grows longer, the probability that denier arguments will descend into attacks on Al Gore approaches one.

Here's a hint. Al Gore could be short, evil and fond of child sacrifice. He could emit more CO2 snoring at night than Christopher Monckton does all year. And his movie could be even more inaccurate than the Great Global Warming Swindle. But this wouldn't change a thing. What matters is not Al Gore's character but science. And, in the case of climate change, it's awfully compelling.

++++++++++++++++++++++

BTW - http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...150208852.html

You have have got to be f*****g kidding me!
Old 23-04-2016, 15:45   #3595
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Another failure to recognize science.

If you are so rich, why aren't you smart?
Ah...but my dear friend Jackdale...I'm smart enough to realize that you can't talk a MMGW Cultists out of their Religious belief, so I don't even attempt to do so. Why would I... So what I do is have FUN in this thread, you don't REALLY think you will change anyone's mind here do you...if you do, then who isn't that smart after all?

Chat room and FaceBook activism is all the rage these days, but it's a fools endeavor and one I don't play. Me...I'm here for Entertainment not to save the world, that's already been done.
Old 23-04-2016, 15:47   #3596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
You have have got to be f*****g kidding me!
Nope.
Old 23-04-2016, 15:49   #3597

Quote:
Ah...but my dear friend Jackdale...I'm smart enough to realize that you can't talk a MMGW Cultists out of their Religious belief, so I don't even attempt to do so. Why would I... So what I do is have FUN in this thread, you don't REALLY think you will change anyone's mind here do you...if you do, then who isn't that smart after all?

Chat room and FaceBook activism is all the rage these days, but it's a fools endeavor and one I don't play. Me...I'm here for Entertainment not to save the world, that's already been done.
Your mind is too closed to change. If you check back, this was one of the few times I bother with you and probably the last.
Old 23-04-2016, 15:55   #3598
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Na I know your type....you can't resist when seeing someone with a differing opinion that won't bow under to your cut/paste tactics. In the words of Arnold...."You will be back"....You can't resist....
Old 23-04-2016, 15:58   #3599

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Nope.
Then please produce your badge, science police officer.
Old 23-04-2016, 16:08   #3600

Quote:
Your mind is too closed to change. If you check back, this was one of the few times I bother with you and probably the last.
I've come to that conclusion as well. He seems to be the most mean-spirited poster on this thread as well. His posts remind me of this poor little feller.

Closed Thread