Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2010, 20:23   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
What Is with the Rudeness at CF ?

I have noticed a trend of rudeness at cf, it started with the thread with the young couple wanting to sail RTW and it still persist. I stopped reading for a while cause it just seemed a bit of a downer. I always thought of CF as a place to get help and input and yes encouragement. Cruising for many is a lifelong dream, and the amount of static the outter world gives us dreamers is plenty, we don't need any of that crap here. This rudness is not to the level of say sailnet, but it doesn't seem to be going away either.
What do you think? is this just a phase?
Old 21-08-2010, 20:32   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Wondering the same thing....and I hope so..

I changed my Avatar to a less agressive stance for ya...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 20:38   #3

Ugh. There's been some arguments here lately. I've been in 'em. If I've been part of rudeness want to apologize up front. I live in an argumentative (screaming nasty) world that is really grinding me down. Want to get away from that and, again, apologies for anything I've posted that may have been "rude."

We are in collective tough times that may have a lot of us on edge. Being positive and encouraging is a respite from adversity and negative, "no, you can't do that" pessimism. Thanks for pointing this out and I for one will think before hitting the "enter" button on future posts.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 20:53   #4

Thanks drew and stillraining , I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular (truly!) just was thinking out loud. Thanks for the positive reply.
E

PS
Love the new avatar, though the baby was the bomb!
Old 21-08-2010, 20:54   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
This rudness is not to the level of say sailnet

Perhaps you could try Sailing Anarchy. They're a bunch of cream puffs over there.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 20:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post

Perhaps you could try Sailing Anarchy. They're a bunch of cream puffs over there.
Where angels fear to tread (uh not that I am an angel or anything).They'd have me bawling like a baby in two posts flat!
Old 21-08-2010, 21:09   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post

Perhaps you could try Sailing Anarchy.
I don't feel that we ought to allow other sites to function as the benchmark with which to measure our own level of civility. this is supposed to be a forum for cruisers, and as such i should think it would have higher standards than such sites as Sailnet, Sailing Anarchy, et cetera.
Old 21-08-2010, 21:20   #8

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Any one person involved in any argument can stop it at any time. Everyone should try it, it's rewarding.
I've told a guy on a Porsche forum that I refuse to fight with him over how another person's car should be repaired. There is no reason to fight about how a 40 year old air cooled car 3000 miles from me needs to be fixed.
The same is true here. I do not need to fight with anyone about whether a Raytheon radar is superior to a Furuno or even if a cat is faster than a tri close hauled. It's not that important.
My kid, my wife, my dog, or even my last cold Mexican Coke (the kind in a glass bottle still made with real sugar) might be worth fighting over, but certainly not bilge pump specs.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 21:27   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Where angels fear to tread (uh not that I am an angel or anything).They'd have me bawling like a baby in two posts flat!
SA is not for the faint of heart for sure. If you can get by the initial harassment there are some really sharp and well know sailors who post there. I'm a big fan of single-handed ocean racing, and their sub-forum for that is the best. But its not for everybody.

Oh, by the way ... is it considered rude if you just don't like stupid people?
Old 21-08-2010, 22:44   #10
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I love the sarcasm on CF - it's why I keep coming back time after time. And as a Brit on a site (largely) full of Americans, I would like to commend you all on your ability to hone a fine (intrinsically) British talent which Americans are not (on the whole) known for.

Well done to all, and keep the cutting jibes coming, I love it!!!

(And I just bought another 20 bags of popcorn. Ammo, anybody?)
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 22:49   #11

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
snip..

Oh, by the way ... is it considered rude if you just don't like stupid people?
I'm quite sure it's not. I'm convinced that to react in a way that forgets that they are also a person who has an equal right to civility may be perceived as rude.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 23:04   #12

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Thanks, Ocean Girl, for bringing this up. I think we all are guilty of this rudeness from time to time. [Except for me, of course, for I am quite tolerant of all you idiots who sully your bilges with iron winds ...] All of us here are passionate about the subject at hand, and if passionate, the line across to rudeness is easy to cross, often unconsciously. So if I have ever offended anyone on this site, tough ... no, I apologize. Seriously. This site is an incredible resource of knowledge from people who are doing, rather than advice from people who never have. I recently deleted a post I had made in a thread, because I had - luckily - thought it over before it was too late. I will certainly try harder in the future to make my points without resorting to rudeness. I hope others will do the same.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 23:16   #13

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
I'm quite sure it's not. I'm convinced that to react in a way that forgets that they are also a person who has an equal right to civility may be perceived as rude.

P.
Thanks. For a moment there, I was afraid I might have offended someone.
Old 21-08-2010, 23:25   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
For me, I have enjoyed being able to put some threads that rile me on "Ignore"
However that function does not operate at the moment. See: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ads-44656.html I know its being worked on and should be with us again soon.
Normally I just have a blanket ban on reading all threads on certain subjects and I have found that increases my enjoyment of Cruisers Forum considerably.

I also commend folks to use the Ignore User button - however I just found thats disappeared too!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe the Mods can help make things better by keeping on the case of the Ignore Thread and Ignore User buttons

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 00:11   #15

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
I guess I should be more tollerant of idiots or people who say the stupidest things as I say enough dumb things myself.

But I think there is a familiarity here amongst the hard core who regularly post and that makes for a community where people allow more give and take which strangers dont at first become part of or understand untill they have eased themselves right in

Sure, It doesnt excuse rudeness to those outside the posse, but as humans, we occasionally forget that.
Its good to have a reality check.

Cheers Erica